Registry and Gift Forum

Registering for honeymoon... bridal shower?

Hi all.

My fiance and I are only registering for a honeyfund. In this case, is it necessary to have a bridal shower? A lot of my friends and family want to throw me a shower, but I don't know what the point of it is if there aren't gifts. Any ideas, or someone out there who didn't register for gifts but had a shower?

Thanks!

Re: Registering for honeymoon... bridal shower?

• 1. It's rude to register for a honey fund. 

2. Showers are for physical gifts- if you don't want those, don't have one. 
    Ditto.
  • Read this link regarding honeymoon funds. http://forums.theknot.com/discussion/281647/thinking-of-a-honeymoon-registry#latest

As for the shower, if they want to throw you something but you have no physical gifts to open, maybe do a bridal lunch? That would shower-ish in terms of time of day, number of people, type of food, etc. But there is no expectation for gifts at a bridal lunch. 
  • A shower is for physical gifts, it's ridiculous to have a shower for cash. Are you going to have a pole at least so people can throw singles at you?
  • OP, you should probably change your username to something, y'know, not your actual name. 
  • Hi all.

My fiance and I are only registering for a honeyfund. In this case, is it necessary to have a bridal shower? A lot of my friends and family want to throw me a shower, but I don't know what the point of it is if there aren't gifts. Any ideas, or someone out there who didn't register for gifts but had a shower?

Thanks!
    Honeymoon/cash registries are rude and deceptive.

A shower is never necessary, but you shouldn't have one if you don't want physical gifts. 
  • redoryx said:
    OP, you should probably change your username to something, y'know, not your actual name. 
    Yep.  Took me all of 30 seconds to find personal information about you and your FI.  Be smart and safe.
  • If you are paying a company (honey fund service fees) to get something you would otherwise get for free (not registering and getting cash/cheques) you are TERRIBLE with money. Let alone completely lacking in shame to beg from your family and friends. Aren't you embarrassed?! 
  • HeffalumpHeffalump member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited October 2016

I...don't understand this.  At all.  How hard is it for guests to write a check?  With these "services" ( and I use that term very loosely), the company keeps part of your gift as a service fee.  Why wouldn't you (and your guests) want you to receive the entire amount? 

And yeah, if you don't want physical gifts, then a shower doesn't make any sense.

• I would never pay a company to collect money from my guests for my honeymoon. Why the middleman? Also, as I guest, I wouldn't contribute to this. I'd writer you a check directly so you could apply it to your honeymoon yourself, or I'd buy you something for your honeymoon. I've actually contacted the honeymoon resort and paid for a spa service for the couple on several occasions. I'd be more likely to do that than pay a middle man. 

DH and I didn't create a registry because we specifically asked guests NOT to get us gifts. I also did not want a shower because we didn't want gifts, but for my closest family who wanted to do SOMETHING (mom, cousin, aunts, g'ma, MIL, and SIL) we went to the wineries and talked about the wedding instead of a shower.
  • H and I didn't want any gifts. We didn't register anywhere. A friend really wanted to host a shower for me and ended up hosting a wine shower. We love wine so this was so thoughtful and lovely. For the wedding, anyone who asked (which was quite a few) about gifts we told them gifts weren't necessary. A few followed those instructions but the majority still got us gifts anyway. We received cash, cheques and gift cards. I think we got one physical gift. Don't register for anything (honeyfund included) and you will probably get money you can put towards your honeymoon without losing money to the middleman.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards