Attire & Accessories Forum

Give me an Idear to Design My Own Wedding Dress

Hi, I want my wedding dress is unique and pretty! So I decide to design my wedding dress by myself. I want I will look like a princess. So I want a full puffy skirt, the neckline illusion.
I like the upper body of this dress from http://www.1st-dress.com , the skirt like this style.httpwww1st-dresscomimages201609sourceIllusion-Back-Lace-Wedding-Dress-with-Cap-Sleeves-4766-b-1-1475226982jpgskirt like this style designed by morileehttpss3amazonawscommorileewp-contentuploads2016070816530960005-1-1120x1600jpg

Do you think it is reasonable? Please give me some advise!

Re: Give me an Idear to Design My Own Wedding Dress

• I like that combination. It's beautiful! Are you planning to make this yourself? That looks extremely complicated and work that requires a professional. Just make sure you're not biting off more than you can chew.
    *********************************************************************************

• Is a custom dress in your budget? 
  • I think that dress combination would look pretty awesome.  As long as you can afford it, the wedding dress is one of the few times were you can say "It's my day and this is what I want!"

Just don't cut the important hospitality items (chairs/food/drinks) to make it happen and you're golden!

• MesmrEweMesmrEwe member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited October 2016
    Budget is really the first concern.  The combination can look great, but you need to have the seamstress that can pull it off for you.  

Add a full Crinoline or two under the top dress and it'll look like the bottom one!!
  • Most ball gown-style wedding gowns you see in pictures don't have that poofy of a skirt, probably so it's easier to fit in a vertical picture. However, a lot of them look like they could be poofier with another crinoline/hoop skirt underneath (just flipping through ball gowns with illusion necklines on David's Bridal just now). 

So if you can find something in a store that just isn't poofy enough, see how much volume is in the skirt and if it could be poofed up a little more by adding more crinoline underneath. 

Also, I'd recommend looking specifically at some of the Disney wedding dresses, as those tend to have a lot of poof. 

When searching online, search by ball gown style and then filter by illusion neckline if there's that option (there is on DB). 

Finally, if all that fails, certainly you can go the custom route. Just know, it's probably going to be pretty spendy. 
  • I do believe that the Valencia skirt has a hoop skirt underneath.  Do you really want to deal with this at your wedding?  Hoop skirts can be very awkward and tricky to manage.  (Former southern belle, here.)

You do realize that if you order a custom dress from anywhere that it is non-returnable, even if you don't like the results?
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Hi, I inquired http://www.1st-dress.com, they told me they could custom make my dress. The price is $315. I think the price is acceptable. I am so exciting, because the effect picture of that dress is so beautiful! I can not believe it. I want share the effect picture they designed for me! Do you like it too?

• Really? I just want to try! Because one of my friend bought her wedding dress in a online store, the dress was really beautiful!  So I want to try!
  • Die your friend buy from this specific site? Are there any reviews on the site, or other sites? Have you spoken with someone over the phone or has this all been via email?

I know it sounds like a great deal, but $315 for a custom ball gown just screams fake to me. I'd be wary of any custom order that cheap. 
  • This dress is going to be cheap satin, poorly made, and the lace will not look like that. This company is out of China. Anyone will tell you that these insanely inexpensive dresses coming out of China are a rip-off. However, I agree with @lovesclimbing that you're a vendor. 
  • MesmrEweMesmrEwe member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited November 2016
    Buyer Beware!  You're better to order the original dress and put a substantial crinoline under it.  The others have covered the many reasons, but you've got to be willing to risk the $315 plus the cost of alterations and dry cleaner to steam it for you and/or the cost of a replacement dress if it can't be salvaged either because of sizing or construction. 

I will admit - I've purchased from a couple "more reputable" of the Chinese sites.  Here's the thing, I knew the risks involved.  I also am a size that I'd never get to try on something "relatively similar" at a bridal shop, I know what does/doesn't work for my body, so ordering from a bridal shop would be an equal risk for me.  Keep your expectations in check, it's a $350 dress, not a $$$$ one.  And by gosh, you better check this company inside out and backwards for "what they ordered vs. what they got!"...
  • My friend owns a bridal salon and I frequently help out on the weekends. We have had brides come in just a few weeks before their wedding super upset because they purchased a rip off online for $300-$500 bucks and when they got it it was a piece of crap. They thought they'd save money but ended up having even less to spend on a dress and have no time to get a dress they actually love.
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited October 2016
    Well it's up to you OP. If you're comfortable spending $315 (plus taxes and shipping?) on a dress that you might not like, or might not fit, then go for it. But it's a big risk you are taking.
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2016
    Can you afford to throw away $315, go ahead.  Chances are that the dress you receive will be just awful, and you won't get your money back.
    There are a few reliable online sites: David's Bridal, J.C. Penneys, for instance.  Neither do custom work.  There are also a few discount stores with an internet presence, but they do not like to sell you a dress unless you have tried it on first in person, and they do not do custom work.
    Most internet sites that offer "custom work" are Chinese sweat shops that turn out low quality products, using pirated pictures from other designers. You will get what you pay for.  You cannot even buy the fabric for the dress you are envisioning for $315, much less sell a finished product.  You will get a dress - but it won't be what you are expecting.
    I am also suspicious about vendor.

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Really? I just want to try! Because one of my friend bought her wedding dress in a online store, the dress was really beautiful!  So I want to try!
    Well, sure, if you're a real bride and not a vendor you can try. Just be prepared to not get anything like the picture that was sent and to have that $315 wasted. 

I did buy my dress online without having tried it on first. But I bought it from a real website, not a knockoff site that steals designs from other people. I spent less than $300 for my dress, but my dress was pretty simple. I wasn't trying to get a huge poofy ballgown with lots of fancy lace for that price. 

After looking at at your first pic, like @MesmrEwe said, that dress looks like the skirt could be poofed up quite a lot with the addition of a couple crinolines. Try that before spending money on custom. 
  • I've seen several dresses from dressilyme.com and they were beautiful and well made. The things is, the lace will be whatever they have on hand. It may be a totally different type of lace than what you wanted. It is possible to get a dress from China that is beautiful. 
  • I've seen several dresses from dressilyme.com and they were beautiful and well made. The things is, the lace will be whatever they have on hand. It may be a totally different type of lace than what you wanted. It is possible to get a dress from China that is beautiful. 
    Sitejabber shows their reviews at a 45% satisfaction rating. I would not buy a wedding dress from there.
  • I think seeing the dresses in person told me otherwise. 
  • this is a vendor post i could tell by the way she was typing her question when she started the thread mods please remove this 
  • I have just received my dress from dressilyme, of course I know they are copies and it may need some alterations, BUT for the price I paid I am very happy with the dress, the whole experience was a good one. I have posted photos of the dress here.....
    http://forums.theknot.com/discussion/1074052/got-my-dress-from-dressilyme-china#latest