Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Welcome party pizza - this involves math!

Re: Welcome party pizza - this involves math!

• Options
    lyndausvi said:
    I'm intrigued by both sides of this discussion.  I have never once in my life heard it called "plain" pizza (although that's how I feel about it.)  It's called cheese pizza around here, and it is tragically popular with all age groups.
    Can I ask why it's tragic?

DH is a fine dining chef.   Has worked with and is friends with some celebrity, some 3 Michelin star chefs.    They all go out for plain/cheese pizza when they are together in NYC.  

Like a good steak doesn't need a lot of toppings, a good pizza (good cheese, sauce and dough) doesn't need toppings.  
    Totally a matter of individual preference.  I just personally think it's a boring choice.  Sort of like how there is nothing wrong with vanilla--as the seed pod from a tropical orchid it's actually a very exotic product when you think about it.  But (imitation) vanilla is sort of the default absence-of-flavor option.  And with pizza, plain cheese is the thing that you wind up forced to get when surrounded by picky eaters.

I can appreciate minimalist toppings.  My favorite pizza is a wood fired Neapolitan style with a couple of slices of prosciutto, a few leaves of arugula, and a bit of sliced garlic.  I can also appreciate an American-style pizza loaded down with a dozen different toppings.  But I can't get on board with cheese pizza.  If I want to eat plain bread and cheese I'd rather have a baguette and some brie.  
    Yeah, no. A NY slice is not just a boring piece of bread and cheese. 
    To each his or her own.  I'm not saying we should outlaw cheese pizza.  I just personally find it boring.  I'm sure there are things I like to eat that you would find boring, too.
  • Options
    @SaintPaulGal If you're ever in NYC, do yourself a favor and get a slice. Not from a chain. 
  • Options
    Now I aching for a trip back east for a decent slice of pizza.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    I guess it comes down to two things for me:

-I have had pizza in NYC and Italy and Chicago and here in MSP which has some great places that consistently show up on lists of the nation's best.  When ordering something with a few high quality ingredients, I have never thought to myself "I wish this tasted more plain."  I have never had a cheese pizza that wouldn't have been improved with a pop of flavor from something like sausage or pepperoni or even just fresh basil.

-I'm not in NYC.  We have some great pizza here, but you have to care about food at least a little bit to seek it out.  The great pizza is not the same pizza that will deliver to the office or to the party when a group of people all decide that they are hungry.  And the picky eater contingent who refuse to eat toppings because pepperoni and sausage are too spicy, mushrooms are creepy, onions are gross, olives are icky, etc. etc. etc. are the ones who drive the group toward cheese pizza by process of elimination, and those people are not exactly known for putting time and effort into sourcing the highest quality foods.

I'm not asserting that cheese pizza is universally disgusting.  I just personally think it's a boring choice when you have other options.  Just like a house painted all beige could look just fine, but I personally would find it boring if it were my house.  Others are more than welcome to feel differently.  If we ever get lunch together I will happily let you have the last slice of cheese pizza!
  • Options
    lyndausvi said:
    Now I aching for a trip back east for a decent slice of pizza.
    I had a few (plain) slices for you last night.  You're welcome ;)
  • Options
    crowsgirl15crowsgirl15 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited November 2016
    Count me in as a cheese pizza eater. If I'm somewhere they order pizza and there are only pizzas with toppings, I'm usually disappointed. Why mess with perfection?

• Options
    To me, what makes pizza pizza is the toppings. I'm on the "cheese pizza is boring" train. I will only ever have a slice if there's nothing else left. 
  • Options
    I grew up in a primarily Italian neighbourhood so pizza sometimes didn't even have cheese on it. They would call the chain pizza "mangia cake" pizza. Personally, if someone is going to feed me I eat it, as long as there isn't mushrooms or pineapple on it.
  • Options

I am late to this thread, but is cheese/plain pizza unknown in some parts?  Weird.

I like spicy sausage, myself (DH always has a comment about that), but will happily eat cheese. 

• Options
    banana468 said:
    I think if a cheese pizza is too plain for you then you don't have a good one.   Remember, cheese is a topping but should be used correctly.   Extra cheese shouldn't be a thing.   No one wants to eat a melted gumball. 

I'm from southern CT.   New Haven pizza is AWESOME.    Modern, Pepe's, Sally's?   Sign me up.   There's a spot near me that tries to compete with them and it's reasonable for the drive.    Plain cheese is all you need.  

That isn't to say that I don't enjoy the white clam at Modern from time to time, or even the mashed potato at Bar, but in CT - especially the New Haven style ca hold its own with NY.   

Find a good one and just enjoy the melty goodness.

Pepes just opened another location in West Hartford. Best thing that has ever happened to Central CT!

• Options
    banana468 said:
    I think if a cheese pizza is too plain for you then you don't have a good one.   Remember, cheese is a topping but should be used correctly.   Extra cheese shouldn't be a thing.   No one wants to eat a melted gumball. 

I'm from southern CT.   New Haven pizza is AWESOME.    Modern, Pepe's, Sally's?   Sign me up.   There's a spot near me that tries to compete with them and it's reasonable for the drive.    Plain cheese is all you need.  

That isn't to say that I don't enjoy the white clam at Modern from time to time, or even the mashed potato at Bar, but in CT - especially the New Haven style ca hold its own with NY.   

Our favorite pizza place in Chicago is actually new haven style pizza. My DH is going to new haven next month and is SO excited to try Pepe's, I'm so jealous of him. 
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Options
    banana468 said:

Pepes just opened another location in West Hartford. Best thing that has ever happened to Central CT!
    And we just got one up here in the Boston area!!!!! I'm psyched!
  • Options
    I think people who hate plain cheese pizza slices have never had a real NY slice of delicious cheese pizza. 

I love toppings but what I crave the most living in Chicago is a plain slice of NY cheese pizza. Probably the #1 thing I miss most about NY. Then bagels are a very close #2.  
    Preach!  The pizza and bagels are what stop me from seriously considering leaving NYC (well, H and I toy with buying a house on LI).  When we're out of town I miss those two more than I miss my parents and siblings  :p
  • Options
    eileenrob said:
    I think people who hate plain cheese pizza slices have never had a real NY slice of delicious cheese pizza. 

I love toppings but what I crave the most living in Chicago is a plain slice of NY cheese pizza. Probably the #1 thing I miss most about NY. Then bagels are a very close #2.  
    Preach!  The pizza and bagels are what stop me from seriously considering leaving NYC (well, H and I toy with buying a house on LI).  When we're out of town I miss those two more than I miss my parents and siblings  :p
    So does DH.

When we return to the area it's a whirlwind of food stops.  He will eat a slice at 3-5 different places in one afternoon.  

I've lived in various states around the country.   Pizza doesn't taste the same, I get why the need for toppings.    If that is all you know, then  I get why people are confused with plain cheese pizza.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    banana468 said:

Our favorite pizza place in Chicago is actually new haven style pizza. My DH is going to new haven next month and is SO excited to try Pepe's, I'm so jealous of him. 
    Tell him Sally's and Modern are better.    Pepe's expansions to other places aren't bad but the purists think it's losing something.    

But a line for any of them can easily go out their doors and down the street.   Suck it domino's
  • Options

I don't like melted cheese that much so I would never go for a cheese pizza. I like veggies and meat. I have had NYC pizza before and I didn't even notice the option for cheese only pizza but even if I had, I wouldn't be ordering it.

We have fantastic local pizza places where I live and I think they are perfect with the toppings.

I will keep in mind about the cheese pizza the next time I order pizza when I have friends over. Hey, perhaps one of my friends would love that option.

• Options
    ernursej said:

I don't like melted cheese that much so I would never go for a cheese pizza. I like veggies and meat. I have had NYC pizza before and I didn't even notice the option for cheese only pizza but even if I had, I wouldn't be ordering it.

We have fantastic local pizza places where I live and I think they are perfect with the toppings.

I will keep in mind about the cheese pizza the next time I order pizza when I have friends over. Hey, perhaps one of my friends would love that option.

Um. What.

I dated a guy who hates cheese.   All cheese.  Doesn't eat pizza.  I had to make a separate nacho without cheese just for him.

Notice I said "dated".

• Options
    lyndausvi said:
    ernursej said:

Um. What.

I dated a guy who hates cheese.   All cheese.  Doesn't eat pizza.  I had to make a separate nacho without cheese just for him.

Notice I said "dated".
    I can understand that bad pizza makes you think of unflavorful melted cheese.

But again, it just makes me think that you haven't had good pizza. 
  • Options
    ernursej said:

Um. What.

As a kid, I didn't eat it at all. As an adult, I'm very picky about the kind of cheese that gets melted and the amount. It is a texture thing! I hate the feeling of strings in my mouth :)

I will however eat tons and tons of cheese that is not melted!

• Options
    The best pizza I've ever had was in Italy. It was garlic and olive oil. That's it. So good. We have a few places around us that are good and reminiscent of Italian pizza, but we're kind of lazy and usually just order Papa John's because it takes 15 minutes to get to the house.
  • Options
    The best pizza I've ever had was in Italy. It was garlic and olive oil. That's it. So good. We have a few places around us that are good and reminiscent of Italian pizza, but we're kind of lazy and usually just order Papa John's because it takes 15 minutes to get to the house.
    I never really ordered PJ's until I met DH.  It's actually not that bad and, like you said, pretty quick!

• Options
    I never really ordered PJ's until I met DH.  It's actually not that bad and, like you said, pretty quick!
    It's better than Pizza Hut for sure. 
  • Options
    Does pizza hut even use real cheese?

No, seriously, does it?