Chit Chat

The Crown

lyndausvilyndausvi mod
First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
edited November 2016 in Chit Chat
Has anyone else started watching this Netflix show?

I'm a sucker for the British monarchy.  I think it's great.  Especially John Lithgow as Churchill.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 

Re: The Crown

• I'm absolutely loving it. I can't believe how much money they spent on it and it all shows in a good way. 
  • I have been wanting to watch it, just waiting for a day to binge. Glad to hear good things!
  • Haven't watched it but just read the reviews. Should be interesting!
  • Is it good? I watched the preview before it came out and couldn't tell if it would be too slow-paced for my taste. I'm definitely interested in watching it.

• I'm loving it so far.  Even DH, who isn't in to things like this got sucked in.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I'll definitely watch it then! It looks like it's really well done.

• HeffalumpHeffalump member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited November 2016

I started it yesterday (after an ep of Black Mirror) and fell asleep. DH was fussing because of the monarchy thing, but I told him it's educational since we're headed there next summer.  Lithgow sucked him in, and before he knew it, we were discussing why the woman who marries the king becomes queen, but the man who marries a (future) queen does not (eventually) become king.  See, educational!

Also, I pointed out that the dude coughing up blood was Colin Firth's character from The King's Speech, and he said "So have we officially seen every single one of them in every life stage, now?"  Smart ass.

• Lithgow sucked DH in also.   He needs to be nominated for an Emmy for this performance.

• I hoping to watch it this weekend. I am a huge Matt Smith fan.
  • What is this show about? I need to find some things to watch for upcoming maternity leave
  • I haven't watched it yet- but I want to! Looks good!
  • kvruns said:
    What is this show about? I need to find some things to watch for upcoming maternity leave
    Queen Elizabeth before she was queen and the beginning her rein.

• I watched it and loved it! I was so sad when it ended.
  • Just finished season 1!

I love it! Love the casting- the actors/actresses are stunning. I even think the young Elizabeth and Margaret look like their adult counterparts.

It is very interesting to see. I'd be curious to know how accurate the show is. They show Phillip, in particular, as being very "modern". Also interesting how much of royal life is ruled by Parliament. I always assumed it would be more the other way around, "I'm the M-Fin Queen, I'll do what I want!" ;).

**spoiler alert**
    In the second last episode, where Elizabeth asks Phillip to look her in the eye, and tell her no, do you think they are insinuating Phillip had affairs, or literally that he's loved other women before Elizabeth?
  • SP29 said:
    Just finished season 1!

I love it! Love the casting- the actors/actresses are stunning. I even think the young Elizabeth and Margaret look like their adult counterparts.

It is very interesting to see. I'd be curious to know how accurate the show is. They show Phillip, in particular, as being very "modern". Also interesting how much of royal life is ruled by Parliament. I always assumed it would be more the other way around, "I'm the M-Fin Queen, I'll do what I want!" ;).

**spoiler alert**
    In the second last episode, where Elizabeth asks Phillip to look her in the eye, and tell her no, do you think they are insinuating Phillip had affairs, or literally that he's loved other women before Elizabeth?
    Totally love this series and can't wait for more. 

I think they were indeed suggesting that Phillip was not the most faithful husband. There have been rumors about that for years. 

*spoiler alert*

It'll be interesting to see where they go with Elizabeth's relationship with Lord Porchester, since there have been plenty of rumors about that as well!
  • A little late to this one but I binged all of season 2 last weekend.  I was so sorry there was no season 2 yet.  I am hooked.