Chit Chat

There should be a...

Drive thru store where you can get just basic items.

Like you pull up to the window and get windex, lucky charms, and a gallon of milk.  You don't even have to get out of the car (or get your kid out of their car seat).  There could be a 5 item limit or something.  I know they already have online ordering for some grocery stores now, but this would just be a quick "I need these items and have no time or patience" kind of thing.

You go.  What should there be?

SaveSave

Re: There should be a...

• Target does this and some grocery stores in my area as well.  I just got an email that CVS is going to start doing something similar too!
  • Oh my god yes!!!! At least three times a week I wish for a drive thru for the basics.  I never wished for this until I had three under 2.5 and each snap in and out of the car seats elicits screams :s
    Target offering that service would be amazing @OliveOilsMom now I'm tempted to drive over to Jersey just to experience it lol.
    As I type I realize I'm sure NYC has all sorts of home delivery services for random things.  Having somewhere when you're already out and about and where you don't have to pay delivery fees or wait would be awesome though.
  • We have these where I am from.  Sadly, the one near my parents house closed down.  It was such a bummer.  

• monkeysip said:

Like you pull up to the window and get windex, lucky charms, and a gallon of milk.  You don't even have to get out of the car (or get your kid out of their car seat).  There could be a 5 item limit or something.  I know they already have online ordering for some grocery stores now, but this would just be a quick "I need these items and have no time or patience" kind of thing.

Wal-Mart recently started something like this.  There is no limit on the number of items, but you do have to order online ahead of time.  Alas, it won't help those looking to just keep their kids in the car.  I think you still need to go into the store to let them know you are there to pick up your order, but then they'll bring it out to your car.  And I could be wrong.  Maybe there is an electronic way to tell them "hey, I'm in the parking lot, bring my order out".

I was mailed a $10 off coupon to try it out.  I'll report back after I've done it.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Ohio has drive thru liquor stores. There's been plenty of times I've wished for one of those here. 
    Arizona does also.  Or at least they did a number of years ago.  The one I went to also had a few basic items.  And, of course, mixers...or as other people like to call them, sodas and juices.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We have a few drive through liquor stores too. That's all one really needs, right?

Not completely related, but I'm reminded of @AddieCake telling me that someone she knows was bitching that people without children shouldn't be allowed to use the drive-thru. Because your entitled sanctimommy ass' starbucks is way more important than mine.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • I'm insanely jealous of everyone that lives in an area with drive-thru liquor stores. We have a beer drive-thru but doesn't help when I want wine or liquor.
  • Many Walgreens have pull up windows, and they sell these items.  My late mother had one a block away from her retirement home, and lots of the residents used it for this.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • monkeysip said:

Wal-Mart recently started something like this.  There is no limit on the number of items, but you do have to order online ahead of time.  Alas, it won't help those looking to just keep their kids in the car.  I think you still need to go into the store to let them know you are there to pick up your order, but then they'll bring it out to your car.  And I could be wrong.  Maybe there is an electronic way to tell them "hey, I'm in the parking lot, bring my order out".

I was mailed a $10 off coupon to try it out.  I'll report back after I've done it.

we have that same coupon, I keep thinking I will try it because it is $10 off $50 so why not use it but then of course we never get around to actually doing it. Maybe soon
  • I'm insanely jealous of everyone that lives in an area with drive-thru liquor stores. We have a beer drive-thru but doesn't help when I want wine or liquor.

What's weird is, in NOLA, I think drive-thru liquor stores are legal because there used to be ONE in a nearby city.  But then the property turned into a convenience store (no drive thru) and then got torn down and turned into a Taco Bell.  We're a hard drinking place.  I never understood why there weren't more and now there are none.

However, we do have a lot of drive-thru daiquiri places.  For those of you wondering, it isn't an "open container" IF the top of the straw wrapper is kept on the straw or the straw isn't in the drink at all.  The lid needs to be on in both of those scenarios.  I mean, OF COURSE, the lid, lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • There is a chicken place in BFE, SC that we sometimes stop at on our way home from MIL's. The parking spots in front of the place all have gas pumps at them at them so you can get fried chicken while pumping your gas.

I have a dream of fancy vending machines at gas pumps. I hate leaving my car to walk into the gas station. How cool would it be to be able to buy a gatoraid, or gum, or whatever right there at the pump?
  • CMGragain said:
    Many Walgreens have pull up windows, and they sell these items.  My late mother had one a block away from her retirement home, and lots of the residents used it for this.
    My nearest Walgreens has a drive through but only for pharmacy items.  I'm pretty sure the pharmacist isn't going to go into the store portion and bring back some eggs and hair ties for me, but I have to admit I have never asked, so...
  • For the first time, I live near a drive-through donut store, and it is the best. Now if only I could find one that delivers.
    "Marriage is so disruptive to one's social circle." - Mr. Woodhouse
  • CMGragain said:
    Many Walgreens have pull up windows, and they sell these items.  My late mother had one a block away from her retirement home, and lots of the residents used it for this.
    My nearest Walgreens has a drive through but only for pharmacy items.  I'm pretty sure the pharmacist isn't going to go into the store portion and bring back some eggs and hair ties for me, but I have to admit I have never asked, so...
    It may be that this store offered the service because of the large senior community a block away.  Seniors can be easier to deal with in a drive thru than walking around your store asking for help.  Most of the seniors were nice, but there were a few....oh, boy!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Ohio has drive thru liquor stores. There's been plenty of times I've wished for one of those here. 
    Arizona does also.  Or at least they did a number of years ago.  The one I went to also had a few basic items.  And, of course, mixers...or as other people like to call them, sodas and juices.
    It's called pop, silly.
    I do believe you mean "Coke."
    Sure, which flavor would you like?
  • Tampons, midol, wine, snacks. Let's see...what else....

Oh, for parents it could be formula, diapers, etc. 

For guys it's liquor, beer, frozen pizzas. 

• monkeysip said:
    I don't mean to make this thread all about things that benefit parents, but there should also be restaurants specifically designed with play areas for kids.  We get about 20 minutes into a meal before DD has had enough and wants to wander or play.  I'd love a place where there was a play area in view of the table.  There's probably a bunch of liability issues though that restaurants don't want to deal with.

It would also benefit people without children since my kid wouldn't be disrupting their dining experience either.

I totally agree with this, as a cranky old man who is generally annoyed at kids in public. When restaurants had smoking sections, I'd always sit in smoking, hoping that there would be less kids. Play areas would be SO MUCH BETTER for everyone than just giving the kid your phone with a game like I see a lot of parents doing. I get that it occupies them, but the sound is (seemingly) always loud as shit and they're not learning anything.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • I dream of this kind of thing. I would like to be able to eat having peace from my own children. It would help them to get tuckered out, too. I'm very patient and I can usually keep them very happy, but sometimes...
  • monkeysip said:
    I don't mean to make this thread all about things that benefit parents, but there should also be restaurants specifically designed with play areas for kids.  We get about 20 minutes into a meal before DD has had enough and wants to wander or play.  I'd love a place where there was a play area in view of the table.  There's probably a bunch of liability issues though that restaurants don't want to deal with.

It would also benefit people without children since my kid wouldn't be disrupting their dining experience either.
    Tbh this sounds odd to me, because the McD's in my area has this exact thing. The play area even has some tables near by so parents can keep eating and see whole location. It's got windows so even if you're not in the area, you can still see {for the most part}
  • monkeysip said:

Tbh this sounds odd to me, because the McD's in my area has this exact thing. The play area even has some tables near by so parents can keep eating and see whole location. It's got windows so even if you're not in the area, you can still see {for the most part}
    Exactly!  I read this and thought..."so like a McDonalds Play Place?"
  • monkeysip said:

In NY and many other places I have noticed the trend that they are remodeling the stores and removing the play areas when doing so.  I have heard that it is a liability issue as children would get hurt and then the parents would sue the stores.  I don't know how true that is, but I wouldn't be surprised.

I am childless so maybe I am biased here a bit, but I would LOVE having an area for families that allowed the kids to play and be (at least slightly) less distracting to their parents and others.  I don't hate hearing a child fuss, but I am not a huge fan of the child that has a 20 minute meltdown while mom and dad ignore everything...but then again whenever my sibling or I acted up we were removed by mom and disciplined according to how much of the meal we made her miss.

• monkeysip said:

In NY and many other places I have noticed the trend that they are remodeling the stores and removing the play areas when doing so.  I have heard that it is a liability issue as children would get hurt and then the parents would sue the stores.  I don't know how true that is, but I wouldn't be surprised.

I am childless so maybe I am biased here a bit, but I would LOVE having an area for families that allowed the kids to play and be (at least slightly) less distracting to their parents and others.  I don't hate hearing a child fuss, but I am not a huge fan of the child that has a 20 minute meltdown while mom and dad ignore everything...but then again whenever my sibling or I acted up we were removed by mom and disciplined according to how much of the meal we made her miss.

In theory it makes sense about the liability, but for years I watched kids playing on stools in a food court then fall off. None hurt enough to sue the mall but close.

I think having an area kids can play is a great idea. McD's near me has the play area flooring as something with more give to it. {not cushioned, but softer than tile}
  • The last cafe I worked at was inside a Mitre 10 (equivalent of a Home Depo store). We were located in the garden section, had indoor and outdoor seating and there was a fenced play area for kids next to it. Unsurprisingly the cafe is very popular with families and has been for many years . 

I frequently see cafes/eateries these days having at least a few toys for kids to play with which is fantastic. Nothing worse than tripping over and spilling hot coffee on a small child that was running around unsupervised . 
  • Umm, I meant like a real restaurant with real food?  Lol I'd like to eat other things besides McDonalds.

And also something a little cleaner.

SaveSave
  • Here in the UK we have restaurants exactly like that. Family areas with tables all around a kids play area. Big foam shapes and netted climbing frame and slides and ball pits all mostly enclosed in a saftey-glass area. There are also signs everywhere saying children must be supervised, and restaurant accepts no responsibility for lost/damaged/broken children. This is enough to prevent suing under UK laws (unless the equipment is faulty).

Think places the equivalent of Crackerbarrel.