Chit Chat

Tomorrow, tomorrow, you're only a day away!

Happy Last Day of Political Commercials!

Re: Tomorrow, tomorrow, you're only a day away!

• So close.....

I can't wait for the commercials to end. There has been a ton of NH commercials on my tv and I live in MA.

• I'm usually not very excited about elections, even Presidential ones.  Most candidates look all the same to me anyway, even across party lines.  But this one has been crazier than most.  I actually care this time and am very anti-Trump.  I know he is the underdog, but he is still on the ballot, and that makes me anxious.  I'm voting after work today.

As for political commercials, I feel bad for people in swing states.  Nobody bothers us in Louisiana, other than local/state political ads.  Those are bad enough.  This year, we did see a few Hillary commercials and they amped up in number over the weekend.  But that was it.  Oddly, just over the weekend, there were a few anti-Hillary commercials...but they weren't from the Trump campaign.  They were from some generic Republican group.

I don't think I've seen one Trump commercial this whole election.  Has he had commercials in other places?

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @short+sassy I saw my first pro trump commercial that "he approved" this weekend in Chicago. I was like da fuq?!?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • I'm usually not very excited about elections, even Presidential ones.  Most candidates look all the same to me anyway, even across party lines.  But this one has been crazier than most.  I actually care this time and am very anti-Trump.  I know he is the underdog, but he is still on the ballot, and that makes me anxious.  I'm voting after work today.

As for political commercials, I feel bad for people in swing states.  Nobody bothers us in Louisiana, other than local/state political ads.  Those are bad enough.  This year, we did see a few Hillary commercials and they amped up in number over the weekend.  But that was it.  Oddly, just over the weekend, there were a few anti-Hillary commercials...but they weren't from the Trump campaign.  They were from some generic Republican group.

I don't think I've seen one Trump commercial this whole election.  Has he had commercials in other places?

Yes, we've had a few Trump campaign-supported ads here in Ohio. However, most of the pro-Trump or anti-Hillary ads run to support Trump have been super PAC ads/ issue ads. These have been relentless at least in NW Ohio. These groups don't have to have ads approved by the political party or the candidate, and can pretty much say whatever they want. The also only have to use the group name (Future 45, Rebuilding America Now, and Great America PAC are all pro-Trump groups, while Priorities USA/Priorities USA Action, Ready PAC, Correct the Record, and America's Teachers PAC have been Pro-Hillary) without disclosing major donors (although you can find a lot of this info. online). 

Also, Trump didn't start airing any of his own ads until late in the summer and really only targeted swing states, so that's probably why you didn't see many. 
  • We had to stream the cowboys game online on Sunday because it was blacked out up here and at least every second commercial was a political one! And it was A LOT of the same commercials over and over again. That alone would probably annoy me so bad I WOULDN'T vote for that person.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

I live in NY and we didn't start seeing Trump commercials here until the past few weeks. Even though the majority of NY outside of the city is red, we're a blue state when it comes to presidential elections because of the city population so we don't see many pro-Republican/anti-Democrat commercials until the very end.
  • We've seen a lot of commercials, but we've been watching major US network coverage for this election.  I'm glad it's over, though I'm sad as SNL has been amazing to watch over the past year a half thanks to this.  Good luck today everyone!

I live in NY and we didn't start seeing Trump commercials here until the past few weeks. Even though the majority of NY outside of the city is red, we're a blue state when it comes to presidential elections because of the city population so we don't see many pro-Republican/anti-Democrat commercials until the very end.
    ditto to Chicago/IL state :) 

• I had to stop watching DirecTV because of the commercials.  It was getting too much.   Thank god for Netflix

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Ughhh I'm terrified. I dislike Hillary but at least she can be protested, rather her than Hitler. Terrified of a brexit 2.0.
    30-something percentage chance of winning is still too high of a percentage for my liking, the people saying she has a 80-90% chance have not gone to middle America at alll. This day needs to be over...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • MCmeow said:
    Ughhh I'm terrified. I dislike Hillary but at least she can be protested, rather her than Hitler. Terrified of a brexit 2.0.
    30-something percentage chance of winning is still too high of a percentage for my liking, the people saying she has a 80-90% chance have not gone to middle America at alll. This day needs to be over...

I'm breaking out the hard liquor tonight, to join me while I watch the results.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

OMG...so jealous...we had ads start LAST YEAR for our senate race here in Southcentral PA!!

I have been subjected to back-to-back-to-back-to-back ads this past week it was a RELIEF to not see a political ad! I swear if a candidate ran on a platform to ban these ads they would have my vote regardless of party lines.  My favorite here is the anti-Hillary ad will run, then the Hillary is awesome ad will run, then a "normal" commercial, then a Democrats against Trump ad, then a pro Trump ad.

My polling place was out the door, around the building, and back again...my wait was nearly an hour this AM but damn it I voted!!! Now if only everyone would stop broadcasting their love for Trump (or Hillary, or whoever) near me and I can be happy.  Seriously even my coworkers were all "How could anyone not vote for Trump!"

OMG...so jealous...we had ads start LAST YEAR for our senate race here in Southcentral PA!!

I have been subjected to back-to-back-to-back-to-back ads this past week it was a RELIEF to not see a political ad! I swear if a candidate ran on a platform to ban these ads they would have my vote regardless of party lines.  My favorite here is the anti-Hillary ad will run, then the Hillary is awesome ad will run, then a "normal" commercial, then a Democrats against Trump ad, then a pro Trump ad.

My polling place was out the door, around the building, and back again...my wait was nearly an hour this AM but damn it I voted!!! Now if only everyone would stop broadcasting their love for Trump (or Hillary, or whoever) near me and I can be happy.  Seriously even my coworkers were all "How could anyone not vote for Trump!"

Unfortunately, we'll have to put up a bit for the next few days/weeks with all "the sky is falling" Henny-Penny folks.  Regardless of who wins.  Then things finally calm down and life gets back to normal.

Ooohhh...yeah.  If I'm not mistaken, I think PA is one of the "deciders".

In Louis.**, we get a fair amount of Repub. commercials during the primaries.  Very few Dem primary commercials.  I don't think I have ever seen a Repub. ad during the main Presidential races.  A few Dem commercials.

But then, our electoral votes have only gone "blue" like 3 times over the last 50 years.  Hence why nobody from the national stage bothers us, lol.

**Why is the abbreviation for Louisiana...LA?  That's my vent for the day.  I even live here, see that abbreviation, and think of the large city in CA first.  Which I'm sure has a larger population than our entire state anyway.  So I always feel I have to write more of my state out in order to not be confusing, lol. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • This is so stressful!  There's not enough wine!
  • I'm proud of myself -- I called my sponsor and a good friend instead of drinking! I'm still on edge, though.
    Good for you!  You don't need a drink for this.

• If Michigan votes for the man who manufacturers his own goods in China, says Michigan Automakers are overpaid and shares the same party as the man who continues to poison an entire city I will literally cry.
  • At least things are still close in Michigan @kimmiinthemitten. Ohio is going Red. 
  • At least things are still close in Michigan @kimmiinthemitten. Ohio is going Red. 
    Welcome to Ohio.
  • I'm gonna throw up
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • You guys, this is causing me stress.
  • I am seriously getting nervous now.  No amount of positive thinking is saving me...its almost 11PM here and I CANOT SLEEP.  GAH!!!
  • The Canadian immigration website crashed and Dow Futures are down 500 points. All of this is bad news bears. 
  • So theres no way Hilary can come back from this right? Or is there still hope with the areas left to call? Fucking crazy. 2016 has been the absolute pits. Literally anyone but a woman, eh?

• So I just posted this over on TB, but it's insane to me that no one in the mainstream media saw this coming. It's now looking like Trump is likely to win, but I was saying to my husband a few days ago when the polls all had Hillary up by a lot that I thought it was going to be much closer than anyone thought. 

Trump is an unpopular candidate. Sure, lots of people are voting for him, but voice that aloud or online during the past few months and you will be called racist and misogynist, etc. On top of that, Trump has had a lot of fear in his campaign, particularly lately about rigged elections. So I'd bet that fear (of government and rigging) plus the way Trump is so popularly unpopular has led a lot of people to not voice their true voting intentions even in anonymous polls. 

I can't believe no one saw this coming.
  • So theres no way Hilary can come back from this right? Or is there still hope with the areas left to call? Fucking crazy. 2016 has been the absolute pits. Literally anyone but a woman, eh?
    She has to win both Pennsylvania and Michigan :S.