Chit Chat

Tomorrow, tomorrow, you're only a day away!

Re: Tomorrow, tomorrow, you're only a day away!

• I don't think I'm going to bed until very late tonight.  Helps that I'm MST.  I'm still holding out some small piece of hope that Trump doesn't win.  

• SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2016
    12 46 am here! And it's driving me nuts- count faster! ;)

P.S. How come there are no results being reported for Alaska?
  • SP29 said:
    12 46 am here! And it's driving me nuts- count faster! ;)

P.S. How come there are no results being reported for Alaska?
    Because Alaska polls just closed an hour ago. Preliminary results should be coming in soon. 
  • America is over. This is the last election. It's done. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I hoped for better, but I've already been burnt this year with stupid political decisions so I was pretty sure this would be the outcome - still hope she pushes through in the 11th hour.....but man, it's unlikely, right? Very happy to be wrong on that one!

I'm so gutted for America and the rest of the world that will have to deal with this repugnant arsehole. How in hell will Hilary do this concesssion speech?? I think I'd be hiding in a cupboard, potentially vomitting in a bag.

• I actually feel pretty bad for Hillary.  Losing sucks, but this was supposed to be easy for her, and I think this is going to hurt her personally/professionally a lot more than it would have hurt Trump to lose.  I hope she comes out of this ok

• And Trump took Pennsylvania.... it's done :(
  • Wtf happened in ME?

Literally a split vote?

I'm so sorry, America. You're in my thoughts.
  • And that's Trump officially won.

I'm so very sorry, America...

Feel free to join us across the pond any time.
  • I don't want to live any more.  :'(
  • I'm so sorry for everyone that did not want this.
  • 2016 strikes again *sigh* 

I really thought Hillary had this one in the bag. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• I'm sickened, disgusted, and I have no idea what to do next.  This has to be a bad dream.
  • How serious is this? 

I'm in the UK and still not really "up" on US politics.

How much power does Trump actually have? Will he get blocked if he tries to do anything too stupid?

I don't think the UK has anything to feel superior about this year. And I'm from the UK.

I don't think the UK has anything to feel superior about this year. And I'm from the UK.
    I agree. it's more a "pick your poison" scenario now, really.
  • How serious is this? 

How much power does Trump actually have? Will he get blocked if he tries to do anything too stupid?
    It's bad. The republicans have control over the House, the Senate, and the Presidency. There is an open seat on the Supreme Court. The institutional roadblocks and all controlled by one party. It's bad. 
  • MCmeowMCmeow member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited November 2016
    How serious is this? 

It's bad. The republicans have control over the House, the Senate, and the Presidency. There is an open seat on the Supreme Court. The institutional roadblocks and all controlled by one party. It's bad. 
    Basically things look worse than when Bush was in office, and everyone knows how that went...
    And I don't feel bad for Hillary, I feel bad for all of the people that will be affected by Trump, especially my Muslim friends, my heart hurts for them. You don't run center in a populist year, she ran too establishment in a year where people are revolting on both sides. She could've AT LEAST mentioned DAPL and it would've helped.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Sorry if I'm asking too many questions, feel free to ignore.

As of right now, Clinton actually holds more individual votes (59+Mil to Trump's 58+Mil.
    Now, I appreciate (even if I don't fully understand) that it's the electoral votes that matter, but, how is someone made president when the numbers are still coming in and (at least currently) point to the other candidate?
  • MCmeow said:
    How serious is this? 

Basically things look worse than when Bush was in office, and everyone knows how that went...
    And I don't feel bad for Hillary, I feel bad for all of the people that will be affected by Trump, especially my Muslim friends, my heart hurts for them. You don't run center in a populist year, she ran too establishment in a year where people are revolting on both sides. She could've AT LEAST mentioned DAPL and it would've helped.
    I agree with this. I don't feel bad for Clinton because, as I understand it, she wasn't exactly a stellar candidate either, but, I don't feel happy for Trump.
    I worry for the future of millions of people in desperate need of refuge, I worry for the future of the planet now that "global warming doesn't exist", I worry for an apparent threat of WW3, and (selfishly) I wonder how this could affect me and my family as I plan to move to the USA in the future.

As of right now, Clinton actually holds more individual votes (59+Mil to Trump's 58+Mil.
    Now, I appreciate (even if I don't fully understand) that it's the electoral votes that matter, but, how is someone made president when the numbers are still coming in and (at least currently) point to the other candidate?
    Happy to answer questions. The electoral college is really the only vote total that matters. Each state has a number of EC votes equal to its total number of representatives in Congress. So when we got to the polls we are actually voting for electors for the candidates.

Because Trump won states with large EC vote totals (Pennsylvania, Texas, Florida, North Carolina, etc.) it doesn't matter who wins the popular vote, because he has already reached 270, which is the majority of EC votes. 

Numbers are still coming in, but the margin of victory is so large in those states it won't affect the outcome. And we have states and counties that are still "out", but at this point he has enough votes in the EC to when regardless of what else is still coming in. 

There te are some recounts underway, but they're not expected to change this result. 

Happy to answer questions. The electoral college is really the only vote total that matters. Each state has a number of EC votes equal to its total number of representatives in Congress. So when we got to the polls we are actually voting for electors for the candidates.

Because Trump won states with large EC vote totals (Pennsylvania, Texas, Florida, North Carolina, etc.) it doesn't matter who wins the popular vote, because he has already reached 270, which is the majority of EC votes. 

Numbers are still coming in, but the margin of victory is so large in those states it won't affect the outcome. And we have states and counties that are still "out", but at this point he has enough votes in the EC to when regardless of what else is still coming in. 

There te are some recounts underway, but they're not expected to change this result. 
    Thank you for taking the time to explain, and I wish I could say I get it.

But I don't :(

So, I understand that like, Texas has 30something ECV, whereas Delaware only has (3?), and that the winning number was 270 ECV, and Trump got 276 when MI numbers came in, and so won the Presidency.

I just don't understand the ECV bit... how those numbers come to be?
    Surely it should be the total number of every voting person? Because now, "The people" have chosen Trump as their new leader, when in actual fact, The People have chosen (at this point) Clinton...

I'm talking it through in my head now trying understand.
    How is it that the larger portion have voted Clinton but the ECV have still ended up with Trump?

Basically because the States with more seats in Congress voted Trump...
    So, the seats in Congress per State don't necessarily correlate with the number of people in that State?
    Is that it?
  • All three "layers" of rule are Republican (House, Senate, President).

Has this happened before? is it normal for it all to be one party or would there normally be a mix?

What happened to the Democrats? is House and Senate based on ECV as well?

Has this happened before? is it normal for it all to be one party or would there normally be a mix?

What happened to the Democrats? is House and Senate based on ECV as well?
    The three levels are Legislature (House and Senate), Executive, and Judicial (Supreme Court).  The first two will be under GOP control, and there is an open seat on the Court because the GOP refused to hold hearings for President Obama's nominee.

What happened to the Democrats? is House and Senate based on ECV as well

House - No. of members and Electoral votes per state are based on population.

Senate - Each state gets 2 members.

I agree its bad because it is all Republican now.  Usually there is a mix, though I'm sure it has happened before that it is not.

It has happened twice in U.S. history that the popular vote was different than the Electoral College vote.  One of those times was fairly recent.  Al Gore won the popular vote against GW Bush, but lost because of the EC.

It would be hard to get rid of the EC completely, because it is written into the Constitution.  But I wish many more states would do "split votes".  Which is where they divvy up their electoral votes based on how their citizens voted.  So, if a state has ten EC votes and 40% of their population voted for Candidate A.  Then Candidate A would get 4 of those EC votes. 

IMO, the EC is extraordinarily stupid and I do hate it.  Because votes are not equal.  For people who live in states with large populations, their votes can have half as much power as someone living in a small population state.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited November 2016
    Sorry if I'm asking too many questions, feel free to ignore.

Thank you for taking the time to explain, and I wish I could say I get it.

But I don't :(

So, I understand that like, Texas has 30something ECV, whereas Delaware only has (3?), and that the winning number was 270 ECV, and Trump got 276 when MI numbers came in, and so won the Presidency.

I just don't understand the ECV bit... how those numbers come to be?
    Surely it should be the total number of every voting person? Because now, "The people" have chosen Trump as their new leader, when in actual fact, The People have chosen (at this point) Clinton...

I'm talking it through in my head now trying understand.
    How is it that the larger portion have voted Clinton but the ECV have still ended up with Trump?

Basically because the States with more seats in Congress voted Trump...
    So, the seats in Congress per State don't necessarily correlate with the number of people in that State?
    Is that it?
    The EC votes are the number of seats in Congress, which is determined in part by population. Each state always gets 2 Senators and then The number of House seats is determined by population. So more populous states have more House seats, and thus more EC votes. Each state has a minimum of 3 EC votes. So states with larger populations have larger EC vote shares. 

So for example Clinton won in NY and CA with the two  largest population areas. She gets way more votes there than she needs to win the state so that runs up her overall vote total. Trump wins Texas in a similar way. He wins PA but it's a lot closer. So her popular vote total still increases in these close states but the EC votes (in most states) are winner take all. So even though she was close, he wins so he gets all the EC votes. Candidates just have to get to 270 EC votes, regardless of popular vote. 

There is a lot of debate about ending the EC system and it will likely start up again. This could be the second election in 16 years where the popular vote doesn't match the electoral college vote (2000 Bush election), prior to that it hadn't happened for over 100 years. 
  • MCmeowMCmeow member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited November 2016
    The electoral college is meant to suppress democracy. We invade countries and force them to become democratic and we can't follow our own example, we have voter suppression, intimidation, voter ID laws meant to suppress poor and minority voters, and we have a system that discounts the largest populations. We need a real damn democracy because we have a broken one right now.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker