Wedding Woes

Post-post election hangover?

What's shakin'?  Did you drink more or less last night?  Did you listen to "It's The End of the World (as we know it)" on repeat?   ;) 

Since the election is settled and president cheeto is on his way into office, I did a lot of reading and thinking yesterday.   Thinking about what I can do.  And also how I can make a difference.  People are angry, fearful, and anxious...and I hope those feelings drive more people to action.  

One small thing I can do is to make sure I vote in every election, not just every 4 years.  I wish people would take that more seriously and practice it more often.  

DH and I had some good chats.  As did the kiddo and myself.   

We all have to get up, go to work, and take care of our families/life.  That hasn't changed and my routine keeps me sane(ish) and centered. 

Prudie is coming up.  :D 

Re: Post-post election hangover?

• Heffalump said:
    mrsconn23 said:
    What's shakin'?  Did you drink more or less last night?  Did you listen to "It's The End of the World (as we know it)" on repeat?   ;) 

Since the election is settled and president cheeto is on his way into office, I did a lot of reading and thinking yesterday.   Thinking about what I can do.  And also how I can make a difference.  People are angry, fearful, and anxious...and I hope those feelings drive more people to action.  

One small thing I can do is to make sure I vote in every election, not just every 4 years.  I wish people would take that more seriously and practice it more often.  

DH and I had some good chats.  As did the kiddo and myself.   

We all have to get up, go to work, and take care of our families/life.  That hasn't changed and my routine keeps me sane(ish) and centered. 

Prudie is coming up.  :D 

I had a glass of wine with DH after the kids were in bed Tuesday, and nothing last night, so I guess I technically drank less.  :)

I loved your FB post.  I've sort of been thinking something similar.  It's like once the shock wore off, then oddly the next thing I kept thinking about was Thanksgiving.  Same deal:  gather everyone together, love, and eat well.  (Even though, as I mentioned in another post, it's just us this year.  No work/no school, so that's enough.)

Wooz, to my great relief, is taking it well.  We had two main talking points: 1. sometimes people change, so everyone deserves a chance, and 2. we are 320 million people; 1 person can't wreck things, so long as the rest of us continue to be good people.  As for #1, I wish I could say I'm optimistic; time will tell.  And to #2, I am ignoring the fact that the number of Trump supporters is way >>>1 person, but I do think there are enough good people plus checks and balances to keep things from going off the rails.  Here's hoping.

Looking forward to Prudie.  I could use a distraction!

I have a crap meeting to go to in a few minutes, so I'm hoping it will be relatively short.

Oh, and s/o post-election hangovers, our governor's race is down to provisional and absentee ballots, which should be counted by 11/18.  The would-be loser is making noises about a recount, but it seems that most officials expect the state BOE to certify the results by 11/29.

Asked for reasons for Cooper’s apparent win, his consultant Morgan Jackson said, “There’s a ton of stuff (but) nothing bigger than HB2.”

So, sometimes the good guys win. :)

As a former North Carolinian I'm so glad to see that asshat voted out of office. 
  • Drank less. I don't really drink and I've been sick .... so didn't drink lol

H and I kept getting into conversations about it and I keep getting ragey because IT'S BETTER TO BE A RACIST BIGOTED DOUCHBAG THAN A WOMAN

*breaths*

I just really need to stop bringing it up. It just makes me so irked.

I saw clips of Hillary's speech and there's one part everyone keeps quoting about her telling future generations to keep reaching for their dreams. Makes me cry because this entire thing makes me upset!

I thought my fb feed only had 1 Trump supporter {a coworker of mine} but apparently there's another person - female, about my age - who is also. GUHHH!!! I just don't bother getting into it.

Finally felt well enough to do dishes last night. While I washed, H looked up the possibility of Trump getting impeached and kicked out of office before January and it really depends on the court case he has next month.

Tonight is groceries. I took benylin this morning and now I feel sick :( I may have to reconsider the dosage and try only one spoon full.

Question for pet {cat} owners:
    backstory
    Angel is 11, fixed for many years.
    Penny is 4, fixed for 3 years
    Because of Angel, Penny went into heat before she was aged to get fixed. No worries, but once she hit the right age her scent showed up. Brief issue of Angel trying to mount her, but since she's been fixed it's been no issues.

Since moving, Angel has taken to mounting her again. Last night she was doing cat chatter while he was on top of her {yes I stopped them}
    Now;
    - what could suddenly cause him to want to mount her again?
    - what does the cat chatter while he's on her mean? {I haven't noticed it in the past}

I know no one is a vet, but some insight would be great!!
  • @MissKittyDanger The stress of moving possibly? That's the only thing I could think of. I know dogs will mount "lesser" beings in a show of dominance.
  • Heffalump said:

I loved your FB post.  I've sort of been thinking something similar.  It's like once the shock wore off, then oddly the next thing I kept thinking about was Thanksgiving.  Same deal:  gather everyone together, love, and eat well.  (Even though, as I mentioned in another post, it's just us this year.  No work/no school, so that's enough.)

Wooz, to my great relief, is taking it well.  We had two main talking points: 1. sometimes people change, so everyone deserves a chance, and 2. we are 320 million people; 1 person can't wreck things, so long as the rest of us continue to be good people.  As for #1, I wish I could say I'm optimistic; time will tell.  And to #2, I am ignoring the fact that the number of Trump supporters is way >>>1 person, but I do think there are enough good people plus checks and balances to keep things from going off the rails.  Here's hoping.

Looking forward to Prudie.  I could use a distraction!

I have a crap meeting to go to in a few minutes, so I'm hoping it will be relatively short.

Oh, and s/o post-election hangovers, our governor's race is down to provisional and absentee ballots, which should be counted by 11/18.  The would-be loser is making noises about a recount, but it seems that most officials expect the state BOE to certify the results by 11/29.

Asked for reasons for Cooper’s apparent win, his consultant Morgan Jackson said, “There’s a ton of stuff (but) nothing bigger than HB2.”

So, sometimes the good guys win. :)

I had the same thoughts but for the opposite reasons...my entire family has been pro-Trump and are likely to throw it in my face when I go back home for thanksgiving.  Thankfully DH is on my side and we are staying optimistic that they will either not say anything or not be as pushy as I fear they might be.  His family didn't like either but would have preferred Hillary to Trump (his brother is gay and his sister has been vocally upset these past two days) so I expect it to be a talking point but hopefully more of an open discussion and not the entire topic of the evening.

Today I am feeling better about everything (though not happy), and I am hoping that everyone else will just get back to business as usual.  My job is slow this AM as my boss is supposed to review my work and get some things back to me but he hasn't gotten to it yet.  Everyone else is in a lull so I am basically sitting here waiting for work that isn't ready yet knowing that it will all show up at once and then put me into a rush to finish it all on time!

• @MissKittyDanger The stress of moving possibly? That's the only thing I could think of. I know dogs will mount "lesser" beings in a show of dominance.
    Hmm ...maybe. Although normally he shows stress by his stomach not feeling well.
    My only wonder is could the cats outside cause it? There's a bunch of outdoor ones, and I'm wondering if it's similar to dogs with the dominance thing
  • mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited November 2016
    GUYZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!  There's no new Prudie today.  :(

I blame Trump.  It's all his fucking fault.  ;) 

I'll see what I can scour from the Prudie chats.  Also, accepting any other advice column letters.  ;) 

It was just posted.  It's late. Whew! 
    Hmm ...maybe. Although normally he shows stress by his stomach not feeling well.
    My only wonder is could the cats outside cause it? There's a bunch of outdoor ones, and I'm wondering if it's similar to dogs with the dominance thing
    I just read that it definitely could be the outdoor cats. It could also be stress. Check this out...http://www.city-data.com/forum/cats/1352938-behavioral-question-regarding-spayed-female-neutered.html
  • My husband's sister and his brother's wife got into it on Facebook last night. It could be a fun Christmas. 
  • I actually drank a lot on election night, but not last night.  Surprisingly, did not have a hangover yesterday.  One of the only perks of my day.  Though felt physically terrible because I did not get enough sleep...and I am VERY sensitive to that. 

I'm also not a morning person.  Let me give you an example of how much I am not a morning person.  Apparently there were protests last night at any area in NOLA called Lee Circle.  So named because there is a giant memorial/statue to Robert E. Lee*** in the middle of it.  Last night it was the site for a protest of Trump.  There was a bunch of graffiti sprayed around its base.

The road I take to work dead ends at this statue.  I am literally facing it, though briefly, before I turn right.  I didn't notice any of the graffiti.  I get into work and one of my coworkers asks me if I'd seen it.  I'm like, "Waahh, seen waahhh?"  I usually don't have my first cup of coffee until I get to work, so the answer was no, lol.

***This statue has already been the subject of a lot of protest over the last couple years in a drive to get rid of all Confederate memorials.

I live in the South now, but am not from here.  Here is what I have never understood.  "South, y'all lost.  Over 150 years ago.  So why is your Confederate s**t still hanging all around?  Or was even built to begin with?  The Confederacy was an ENEMY of the U.S."

I've been to the site of the Battle of New Orleans (War of 1812).  We don't have a statue honoring King George IV there. lol.  To me, it is just as silly we have Confederate memorials.          

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited November 2016

I actually drank a lot on election night, but not last night.  Surprisingly, did not have a hangover yesterday.  One of the only perks of my day.  Though felt physically terrible because I did not get enough sleep...and I am VERY sensitive to that. 

I'm also not a morning person.  Let me give you an example of how much I am not a morning person.  Apparently there were protests last night at any area in NOLA called Lee Circle.  So named because there is a giant memorial/statue to Robert E. Lee*** in the middle of it.  Last night it was the site for a protest of Trump.  There was a bunch of graffiti sprayed around its base.

The road I take to work dead ends at this statue.  I am literally facing it, though briefly, before I turn right.  I didn't notice any of the graffiti.  I get into work and one of my coworkers asks me if I'd seen it.  I'm like, "Waahh, seen waahhh?"  I usually don't have my first cup of coffee until I get to work, so the answer was no, lol.

***This statue has already been the subject of a lot of protest over the last couple years in a drive to get rid of all Confederate memorials.

I live in the South now, but am not from here.  Here is what I have never understood.  "South, y'all lost.  Over 150 years ago.  So why is your Confederate s**t still hanging all around?  Or was even built to begin with?  The Confederacy was an ENEMY of the U.S."

I've been to the site of the Battle of New Orleans (War of 1812).  We don't have a statue honoring King George IV there. lol.  To me, it is just as silly we have Confederate memorials.          

This shit drove me crazy/confused the hell out of me in North Carolina. The public library (which used to be the county seat and town hall) in our tiny town had a massive statue of a confederate soldier and huge confederate flag etched into it. I get that this was built after the war to commemorate soldiers, but seriously, you lost.

ETA: This was even more surprising to me when I moved to the South. A confederate mount rushmore?!

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/arts/culture/la-et-cm-stone-mountain-georgia-naacp-20150714-story.html 
  • Wait a minute. NO NEW PRUDIE??????????? Whyyyyyy???? Haven't we been through enough the last few days?

I totally agree with voting in all elections. I have been guilty of never voting in any election that wasn't Presidential. That stops today. Now that the deed has been done, I believe we all have a choice as to how we will respond. I'm choosing to get proactive about the things I care about. No more being a bystander for TFB.

Tonight I'm going home to do laundry and then starting to pack for my trip to see DH.

I'm off work tomorrow and then headed to Nashville with my mom for the Keith Urban concert. I have no idea how I'm going to focus long enough to get through work today.

• @ShesSoCold sending you all the good thoughts for tomorrow!!! I really hope this works out for you!

• Ugh. I wanted to drink. My parents unexpectedly came over last night, and instead of drinking with friends, I had to go out to dinner with my parents, and I'm like 99% sure my dad voted for trump based on what he was saying. It was a shitty day. And now I have an interview I don't want to go to. I just want to go see my best friend who's in town. 

• Starting to get chilly here in the MW.  I'm not sure how I feel about that.  I love Christmas and all the christmassy feelings but I'm not a fan of snow.  Actually, I'm not a fan of driving in it. 

Last night, after work DH and I made a Hellofresh meal which was so easy to make and turned out really really good.  We did our "Thank you" cards to the Canadians and then we went to see Dr. Strange.  I hated every minute I was awake for it.  I get the next movie call, and it's going to be Ouija if it's still out. 

Tonight I have a work dinner and then  I'm for sure for sure for sure getting back on the eating better & hitting the gym starting tomorrow.  Like, for sure.

• @ShesSoCold good luck with both finding a shirt (difficult for me) and the interview!

My oldest son (who will be 20 :o in 6 days) told me this week that he's spending both Thanksgiving and Christmas with me because his dad's side of the family has become a complete shitshow since I left (not that I'm claiming I was the glue just coincidental). Everyone is holding grudges against everyone. Grandma and her youngest daughter are fighting because YD has a drug & alcohol habit so Gma had the kids removed and placed in her custody so YD is pissed about that. Gma's oldest daughter's daughter took a basket of fruit off gma's counter 3 years ago and daughter couldn't understand why that was a bad thing so gma likened it to her taking money just because it was there which got turned into "GMA said you stole money" and daughter's H stood up for his wife so he's no longer welcome at family functions. My ex is mad at his dad and SM (gma) because they still allow a relationship with the little sister with the drug/alcohol problem. So my poor son has gone from Thanksgiving and Christmas with 14 people to those same holidays with 5 people so it doesn't feel the same to him. 

He also mentioned to me how his dad seems to be out of town all the time. I think it hurts his feelings that his dad just leaves and then tells him later that he's gone. When I left, DS stayed with dad because I couldn't afford to stay in his school district and wasn't going to pull him out of there for his senior year. His dad told me that my leaving was good for them because it forced him to realize that he'd checked out of our family (duh) and he was spending more time with DS. That lasted about a month before I started getting calls from my former neighbor that DS was spending most of his time at the house alone. 

I can't talk to my H about this because it makes him worry that I want to be back with my ex. So I'm sorry for pouring it all out here.
  • @ShesSoCold  Vibes for interview and shirt hunt!

@DrillSergeantCat  Jeez what a family! Granted, every family has issues but dealing with addiction is never easy to begin with. Sounds like Gma wants YD to get better, but is YD seeking help to do this?
    Your poor son must feel like he's in the middle :( At least he has another place to go! I would avoid the drama like him, so I don't blame him for bailing.

Have you mentioned to your H that you're worried because of your son and not because you want to be with your ex? I just can't understand why your H would think you'd wanna get back with him :(
  • @MissKittyDanger She wasn't until her kids were taken. She'd been sent to rehab 3 times prior but each time convinced her exH to tell them that she doesn't have a problem. He was willing to do it because he didn't want to be responsible for their 3 kids. 

It's his insecurities over the difference in earning. My ex and I had a big house in a nice neighborhood and H thinks that's what I need to be happy. It's a process with him to get him to understand that me missing my nieces and nephews has nothing to do with wanting to get back with my ex.
  • @DrillSergeantCat  Hopefully she gets the help she needs now. :( The poor kids!
    Ahh insecurities, that's rough. Could you explain that you built a relationship with these people and you miss seeing them and could do without seeing exH if that was possible? I'm not sure if that'd help but could start
  • @MissKittyDanger I hope she does. I know she has the kids back now but while her mom had them, she had to pass a weekly drug test. I tried explaining that to him, but he just has a hard time separating the two. I found out that my exSIL only reached out to me to piss of my ex so while I wish them all well, they are definitely in my past. I still like hearing about their shitshow, though.
  • I actually drank a lot on election night, but not last night.  Surprisingly, did not have a hangover yesterday.  One of the only perks of my day.  Though felt physically terrible because I did not get enough sleep...and I am VERY sensitive to that.         

Me too!  And the velocity at which I drank all the wine should have guaranteed more than just a headache.  But nope!

FI got an email from a former student yesterday.  She thanked him for teaching them about politics and helping them become engaged.  She said she was said her candidate didn't win, but was glad she spent Monday at two different rallies and talking with her peers about why she was voting the way she did.  There is hope afterall!

I have our second shower on Sunday, and I'm stuck and don't know what to do.  Advise me!  FMIL is very generous, but she loves recognition for what she does.  Example:  When the three of us hosted Christmas here at our home, his aunt thanked FI and I and she shouted out "I helped too!"  Well, she's hosting the shower, but I know her sisters are chipping in too.  When I asked who all was helping her so I could thank them, she said she was already planning on it.  Now, this family is very etiquette minded so I don't want to show up without a small gift, but also don't want to offend MIL by sharing her spotlight.  WWYD?
  • One more thought...

I am not a person who declares a party, ever.  I don't vote straight ticket and probably never will.  I'm politically fluid.  

Dollars to doughnuts, there are more people like me than people who are straight ticket/one-issue voters.  
  • mrsconn23 said:
    One more thought...

I am not a person who declares a party, ever.  I don't vote straight ticket and probably never will.  I'm politically fluid.  

Dollars to doughnuts, there are more people like me than people who are straight ticket/one-issue voters.  
    This is the first year I did, but it was all third party. We have a legislative issue in OK and I wanted every single one of them out.