Wedding Invitations & Paper

Wedding Website

Just wondering what to include in my wedding website? Is there any chance that I could see some finishes samples of websites? I just don't want to leave out infor or write too much. Thanks:)

Re: Wedding Website

• Just wondering what to include in my wedding website? Is there any chance that I could see some finishes samples of websites? I just don't want to leave out infor or write too much. Thanks:)

We included a small about us blurb, information about the the hotel block, information about the area around the hotel for hotel guests and a request page for songs for the DJ.  I just googled common name and wedding website and found lots of pages to look for.
  • I used TK's website builder and we basically just filled in all the sections. 
    How we met, the proposal, locations of the ceremony and reception, hotel block info, where we're registered, some pictures of us throughout our relationship. Most I've seen have basically the same info- but they were also created on TK so that probably has something to do with it.
  • I was afraid I included too much, but have gotten so much positive feedback from family and friends saying they love the site.  Feel free to check it out for ideas...

https://www.theknot.com/us/liz-owen-and-sean-daly-jul-2016

• I was afraid I included too much, but have gotten so much positive feedback from family and friends saying they love the site.  Feel free to check it out for ideas...

Oh my. Please remember that this is a public forum and anyone can see your information. All that link has done is allow me to see the various etiquette mistakes you have going on at your wedding. 
  • justsie said:

I was afraid I included too much, but have gotten so much positive feedback from family and friends saying they love the site.  Feel free to check it out for ideas...

Oh my. Please remember that this is a public forum and anyone can see your information. All that link has done is allow me to see the various etiquette mistakes you have going on at your wedding. 

Thanks @justie- obviously, I realize it's a public forum.  I have no sensitive personal information on my site and nothing to hide.  Don't care who sees it.  And I didn't ask for your opinion on it, so no need to comment on all the 'etiquette mistakes' I'm going to have at my wedding. 
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2016
    If you post on a public forum, you will open yourself to the criticism you do not want.  Oh, yeah, all rainbows and unicorns, especially that "black tie optional" crap.  Nice three hour gap you have planned.  What are your guests supposed to do for three hours?
    Of course your family and friends tell you nice things about your site.  They love you and care about your feelings.  We are impartial strangers.  All we know is that this is not the way you should treat your guests.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • justsie said:

I was afraid I included too much, but have gotten so much positive feedback from family and friends saying they love the site.  Feel free to check it out for ideas...

Thanks @justie- obviously, I realize it's a public forum.  I have no sensitive personal information on my site and nothing to hide.  Don't care who sees it.  And I didn't ask for your opinion on it, so no need to comment on all the 'etiquette mistakes' I'm going to have at my wedding. 
    There's no way in hell I'm showing up for a 2:00 wedding in black-tie optional attire.

And the gap is tacky.

Knottie1436905583 , you may be fine with your personal information .... I don't know if your brother/sister wants your niece/nephew's name shared on a public forum.
  • Seriously, look at what has just happened to one of the posters on the etiquette board. Be smart.

• edited February 2016
    Thank you for the information and let us remember to be kind to others and sensitive with our words. 
  • CMGragain said:
    If you post on a public forum, you will open yourself to the criticism you do not want.  Oh, yeah, all rainbows and unicorns, especially that "black tie optional" crap.  Nice three hour gap you have planned.  What are your guests supposed to do for three hours?
    Of course your family and friends tell you nice things about your site.  They love you and care about your feelings.  We are impartial strangers.  All we know is that this is not the way you should treat your guests.
    Isn't it obvious? I mean they just watched omgthebestweddingever and are going to sit down in the grass outside the building and revel in it! 3 hours is hardly enough when you think of it that way!!
  • Liz- Your wedding sounds beautiful and everyone will be happy for you and excited for your special day! I have gone to plenty of weddings that have a huge gap of time between events. Please do not let some of these negative comments bother you. I am sad to read not that people  disagree, but they way their wording.
  • Ooooh, just rainbows, butterflies and unicorns for you!  Not any valuable information.
    People post on the Knot to get information about how to plan their wedding properly.  The Knot is not here for emotional support.  Most entitled brides have enough of that all by themselves.  It is here for you to get good, non-biased information.  If you don't like that information, and it upsets you, then you are on the wrong website.  There are other wedding websites that will tell you anything you want to hear.  After all, it is an election year.
    Gaps are rude to your guests.  This includes Catholic weddings, by the way.  You plan your ceremony first, and then you plan your reception so that your guests will not be inconvenienced by the schedule.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Wow.  Just want to reiterate that I posted the link to my site to help Knottie1444428745 (thank you for your kind words, by the way) with the formatting of hers.  Never asked for anyone's feedback/critique.  To address some of your concerns:

Yes, holyguacamole79.  I sent my draft site link to my brother and sister-in-law (also my best friend and MOH) before I made it public.  Not only were they both fine with their names and the names of their children (my flower girl and ring bearer) being on my site, they were honored to be mentioned.  I appreciate your concern for their privacy, but I literally listed nothing but their names- no pictures, addresses, social security #s, etc.  I guarantee every single person on this thread has their name publicly listed on the internet in some capacity.  A name is not private, sensitive information without anything attached to it, so I don't see an issue there.  By the way, I don’t expect anyone to show up to my ceremony in black tie attire; the suggested dress code is in reference to the reception.

To everyone else who chose to focus on my etiquette shortcomings rather than offer your expertise to Knottie1444428745 on the OP- I find it really sad that the etiquette of my wedding was judged based solely on the information posted on my web site.  The fact is, no one here knows the circumstances of my wedding.  None of you know who is on my guest list.  None of you have any contextual facts about my wedding other than the start time for the ceremony/reception and suggested dress code.  I would welcome a critique of my site—had it been solicited.  However, I want to (again) point out that I never posted a link to my site and said ‘Hey guys! Take a look- would love your opinion!’  I appreciate everyone’s overwhelming need to save me from making an etiquette snafu; however, I am a little concerned with the people’s understanding of etiquette/manners when such judgmental words-- with little constructive context and no tact-- are so freely shared.  There is a major difference between giving honest, sound advice and just being flat-out rude. 

• Wow.  Just want to reiterate that I posted the link to my site to help Knottie1444428745 (thank you for your kind words, by the way) with the formatting of hers.  Never asked for anyone's feedback/critique.  To address some of your concerns:

Yes, holyguacamole79.  I sent my draft site link to my brother and sister-in-law (also my best friend and MOH) before I made it public.  Not only were they both fine with their names and the names of their children (my flower girl and ring bearer) being on my site, they were honored to be mentioned.  I appreciate your concern for their privacy, but I literally listed nothing but their names- no pictures, addresses, social security #s, etc.  I guarantee every single person on this thread has their name publicly listed on the internet in some capacity.  A name is not private, sensitive information without anything attached to it, so I don't see an issue there.  By the way, I don’t expect anyone to show up to my ceremony in black tie attire; the suggested dress code is in reference to the reception.

To everyone else who chose to focus on my etiquette shortcomings rather than offer your expertise to Knottie1444428745 on the OP- I find it really sad that the etiquette of my wedding was judged based solely on the information posted on my web site.  The fact is, no one here knows the circumstances of my wedding.  None of you know who is on my guest list.  None of you have any contextual facts about my wedding other than the start time for the ceremony/reception and suggested dress code.  I would welcome a critique of my site—had it been solicited.  However, I want to (again) point out that I never posted a link to my site and said ‘Hey guys! Take a look- would love your opinion!’  I appreciate everyone’s overwhelming need to save me from making an etiquette snafu; however, I am a little concerned with the people’s understanding of etiquette/manners when such judgmental words-- with little constructive context and no tact-- are so freely shared.  There is a major difference between giving honest, sound advice and just being flat-out rude

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • @ourdailywed, I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but allow me to share my experience as one recently schooled here about gaps. The ladies here are right.

I have my wedding (also Catholic -- I think it's a common faux pas for Catholics since (1) weddings are almost exclusively earlier on Saturdays to avoid conflict with Saturday evening Masses, and (2) if you're like my crowd of Catholic friends, we like dancing and drinking all night long) scheduled for 1pm (same date as yours, in fact!). I originally was going to start the reception at 5. That would leave around a three hour gap, presuming the Mass doesn't get out until between 2 and 2:30. When I mentioned this, everybody here reacted just as strongly to me as they are to you. Almost all the weddings I've been to included gaps, but the Knotties here got me investigating. . . 

So I asked my BMs, who I all trust to give pretty straightforward responses. Two of them, also Catholic, had no problems with gaps. The other 4 all admitted that gaps were awkward, uncomfortable, and in their opinion, rude. They weren't going to say anything before, because they were trying to be nice, but since I asked, they fessed up. I had no idea, and changed my reception plans accordingly. I did have to fight my parents over it a bit (and still am -- they can't get why guests wouldn't enjoy the time "to rest up" before the reception). But now that I know a number of my wedding party, and therefore likely a number of my guests, would be turned off by the gap, it's gone. Chances are later on most of my guests won't be able to remember whether the reception ends at 10 or 11. But some would probably certainly remember the gap unfavorably, and I'd rather they don't have negative associations with memories of being my guest. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

To everyone else who chose to focus on my etiquette shortcomings rather than offer your expertise to Knottie1444428745 on the OP- I find it really sad that the etiquette of my wedding was judged based solely on the information posted on my web site.  The fact is, no one here knows the circumstances of my wedding.  None of you know who is on my guest list.  None of you have any contextual facts about my wedding other than the start time for the ceremony/reception and suggested dress code.  I would welcome a critique of my site—had it been solicited.  However, I want to (again) point out that I never posted a link to my site and said ‘Hey guys! Take a look- would love your opinion!’  I appreciate everyone’s overwhelming need to save me from making an etiquette snafu; however, I am a little concerned with the people’s understanding of etiquette/manners when such judgmental words-- with little constructive context and no tact-- are so freely shared.  There is a major difference between giving honest, sound advice and just being flat-out rude. 

That's not how etiquette works.  It's rude to have a gap, period.  It's rude to tell people how to dress, regardless of whether you want to be told that or not.  There are no circumstances or guest lists that will make either of those things appropriate.

People here have been giving honest, sound advice.  The fact that you choose to read it as flat-out rude is your problem and reflects your perspective, not necessarily reality.

• @ourdailywed , I realize it's just their name.  It does say, though, where they will be and when.  

So you expect them to show up to the wedding in one outfit and then change into another for the reception during your 3 hour gap? 
  • WOW you people are so negative and rude!! It's fine to give her advice, but you should say it in a constructive and caring way. You should know how stressful planning a wedding is and we should support each other, not cut them down. 
  • You dug up a post that is 9 months old to yell at a cloud. 
  • WOW you people are so negative and rude!! It's fine to give her advice, but you should say it in a constructive and caring way. You should know how stressful planning a wedding is and we should support each other, not cut them down. 
    Pay attention to dates, please. This is a zombie post. I'm closing it.

justsie said:
    You dug up a post that is 9 months old to yell at a cloud. 
    Thank you ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards