Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Groom Cake Alternatives

My fiancé' doesn’t like cake. I didn't want to waste money on a groom cake. What are some alternatives ?

Re: Groom Cake Alternatives

• Cake of cheese?  They look really good!
  • What DOES he like?  Go with that instead...
  • Just don't have one.    We didn't have one.  I've seen a lot of weddings have them and honestly it's just a waste.  Between the 2 cakes we throw away a shit ton of cake.

Plus I hate the the wedding cake is the "bridal" cake and then there is a groom's cake.    What's the point?  It's weird to me.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • jacques27jacques27 member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited November 2016
     Another "just have nothing". They aren't required and your marriage will still be valid without one.  No substitute required. 
  • We didn't have a decorated cake period. We had a buffet of many different types of desserts. 
  • I rarely see groom's cakes at weddings.  If an additional cake is in your budget, i'd spend the money on a different dessert altogether (platters of cannoli, zeppole, rainbow cookies, mini cheesecakes, etc.).  
  • Either don't have anything in place of a groom's cake, or have a different dessert that he does like.
  • What is motivating you to look for an "alternative"?

If it's because you are "supposed" to have a separate cake for the groom, just skip it.  It's completely unnecessary, and if my own personal experience is any indication it's not very common either.  

If you want a second dessert so that your future husband can have a sweet treat despite not liking cake, just ask him what he likes to eat.  But absolutely don't get just one or a few servings of a "special" dessert that is only for him/VIPs.  If you have a second offering, make sure there is enough of each choice to serve everybody who might want some.
  • DD's (then) FI loved the apple pie my SIL makes for holidays.  For the rehearsal dinner, SIL made her infamous pie and made enough to serve to all the guests at the rehearsal dinner.

In our area I have yet to see a groom's cake at the wedding reception.
  • My FI doesn't like cake either (or many other sweets) but he loves churros so we're doing those for him and still having a cake because I want one. We're doing Mexican food so the churros actually compliment better than the ridiculous buttercream floral monstrosity that I want. 
  • Another vote here that it doesn't really matter and isn't needed.  I do however love many desserts, so my vote is if budget allows have two options (or a whole dessert spread) that everyone can have.

Also really like the idea of the rehearsal dinner for his dessert choice and the wedding cake at the reception (if budget is tight but not THAT tight)

• We did snickerdoodles for our "groom's cake" because my husband is also not a big fan of cake, but loves snickerdoodles from a local bakery in town. But I echo others and say if he doesn't want a different dessert, just skip it. I don't think your guests will notice if you don't have a groom's cake.
  • edited November 2016
    Are you in the Southern U.S., OP? I understand groom's cakes are more popular there.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groom's_cake

Love PPs' ideas of substituting a favorite dessert or (yum) cheese. My brother and SIL didn't have a groom's cake but did have a sweets table (very popular in our region). Since my SIL is Italian, they had cannoli, pizzelles, and other Italian pastries. It was a huge hit.

• My FI doesn't like cake either (or many other sweets) but he loves churros so we're doing those for him and still having a cake because I want one. We're doing Mexican food so the churros actually compliment better than the ridiculous buttercream floral monstrosity that I want. 
    When I read this quickly I thought it said cheetos...churros are much classier :)