Chit Chat

Help Me Choose A Skirt! [AKA Mid-Late-30's Mini vs. Midi Minicrisis]

Happy Weekend, Ladies!  

I'm trying to decide on a versatile skirt to be worn at work but also in the evenings. Depending on what skirt I get it may be more of a day skirt or an evening party skirt. Right now I'm looking at a Garnet Hill crinkle midi vs. J.Crew "sailor" mini-ish.  I don't have much of either in my closet right now [mostly just-above-the-knee pencils] and am looking for something slightly different.  

The sailor skirt would likely be more versatile for me, since it would go with a lot of stuff I already have and is generally aligned with my style. I'm fine with either honey or navy.  

The midi would be a slight departure, but I love the idea of something light and twirlable.  The black would be for dressier occasions, don't love the Castlerock color but feel it would be better- not as dressy/evening formal -for work.  

FYI I'm in the technology field and dress code is business casual: everything from jeans + blazer to more formal business dress.

http://www.garnethill.com/pleated-midi-skirt/395144

https://www.jcrew.com/womens_category/skirts/mini/PRDOVR~F4005/F4005.jsp

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Re: Help Me Choose A Skirt! [AKA Mid-Late-30's Mini vs. Midi Minicrisis]

• The JCrew one definitely. The garnet hill one looks like it would be murder to keep the pleats nice and the cut and length to me makes even the models look dumpy and frumpy. 
  • edited November 2016
    I agree with @STARMOON44. Definitely the J. Crew skirt.
  • I wouldn't do the J Crew skirt in the honey color. The navy is much more versatile. The other skirt would be great for more dressy occasions probably less so for work.
  • Love the JCrew one in either color. I lean towards Honey because it's different. The length of the other skirt would look like shit on me. I'm 5'7" and have pretty long legs for my height and that length makes me look stumpy. I agree that it's unflattering on the models. 

• lc07 said:
    Love the JCrew one in either color. I lean towards Honey because it's different. The length of the other skirt would look like shit on me. I'm 5'7" and have pretty long legs for my height and that length makes me look stumpy. I agree that it's unflattering on the models. 

Ja, that's my concern.  I'm one inch taller and long legs. The reviews are overwhelmingly positive, but perhaps people with certain body types don't purchase it in the first place so it's a slightly skewed sample. 
  • vikinganna87vikinganna87 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited November 2016
    Thanks, ladies.  TK never disappoints with sound advice. I ended up ordering the J.Crew skirt, although chose honey instead of navy because of the retro vibe and potential to make my legs look better (more tan) in the in-between seasons.  Who knows if that'll be true. A bit of a risk that I hope pays off. 

Hope you're all enjoying your weekend!  I'm ready for a few hours of cleaning, a long dog walk and then football.  And maybe I'll even write a few Christmas cards; we ordered them early for once. 
  • The JCrew one definitely. The garnet hill one looks like it would be murder to keep the pleats nice and the cut and length to me makes even the models look dumpy and frumpy. 
    So true.
  • I love the honey color JCrew. Good choice.