Offbeat Weddings

black and white

Not exactly off beat as far as color scheme but background this is my second wedding and I did the whole traditional route the first time. This is his first so we are trying to do some traditional and some off beat. I want to wear a black/gray dress. He wants to wear a white tux. We are doing it close to Halloween and Im pushing for maybe a Dia De Los Muertos theme but we shall see.  We want to have some sort of fun thing at the reception. There will be a boat load of kids (10 kids total--- 6 of them  are 5 yrs and under) So we thought since we are inviting less than 50 people that we may have  a bounce house. something the kids and adults can play in. I dunno just a thought. We just want to have fun and welcome each others families and friends. I'm older (Ill be 38 and he will be 34)  

Re: black and white

• You should check out the Offbeat Bride facebook page. You can request to join their private facebook group. Lots of fun people there. :)
  • Oh, and this all sounds awesome. :smiley:
  • Not exactly off beat as far as color scheme but background this is my second wedding and I did the whole traditional route the first time. This is his first so we are trying to do some traditional and some off beat. I want to wear a black/gray dress. He wants to wear a white tux. We are doing it close to Halloween and Im pushing for maybe a Dia De Los Muertos theme but we shall see.  We want to have some sort of fun thing at the reception. There will be a boat load of kids (10 kids total--- 6 of them  are 5 yrs and under) So we thought since we are inviting less than 50 people that we may have  a bounce house. something the kids and adults can play in. I dunno just a thought. We just want to have fun and welcome each others families and friends. I'm older (Ill be 38 and he will be 34)  
    Are you Mexican or Hispanic? Because a Dia de los Muertos theme would be rather inappropriate if you weren't.
  • If you love the theme, go for it. 
  • Well if you are okay with cultural appropriation of another culture's religious holiday because it is cool, yeah, go for it.
  • A wedding is a great way to pay respect to a culture, whether you were born into it or not. ;)

We can celebrate all of the cultures of the world. I suppose you would have to see the world from an anthropological standpoint to appreciate this. Some people just can't grasp that. The obsession with the separation of cultures is detrimental to mankind. 

• Sure, I'm sure you think that its totally fine for a couple to break the glass at the end of their ceremony, even if neither are Jewish, because it looks cool and they respect it anthropologically. No big deal.
  • A wedding is a great way to pay respect to a culture, whether you were born into it or not. ;)

We can celebrate all of the cultures of the world. I suppose you would have to see the world from an anthropological standpoint to appreciate this. Some people just can't grasp that. The obsession with the separation of cultures is detrimental to mankind. 

Yeah...no.  Sorry.  Doesn't work that way.  You can't just declare yourself anthropologically-minded and then proceed to do whatever you like.  "Oh but this blackface is totally, like, anthropological so it's okay!"

Not twisting someone's religious and cultural practice to honor their deceased loved ones into an "offbeat" wedding theme is pretty much the most basic level of respect.

Ah, so you're one of those.  

Yeah, it's downright disrespectful to practice a cultural practice which you have no tie to.  If you are marrying someone of a particular culture, by all means, incorporate those customs.  But it's so inappropriate to pick and choose "themes" (disgusting that you referred to a cultural tradition as a theme, btw), just because you think it's "cute" or "cool." 

Oh, and someone who actually views the world from an anthropological standpoint would never appropriate other cultures for themselves.  

• I don't think its cute or cool. I think its a beautiful holiday to respect your relatives who have passed.  I didn't think it would be offensive but I do appreciate that perspective. So thank you. 
  • I don't think its cute or cool. I think its a beautiful holiday to respect your relatives who have passed.  I didn't think it would be offensive but I do appreciate that perspective. So thank you. 
    And yet you did not answer my original question...
  • No I'm not Hispanic. I didn't see it from that perspective so I've taken that idea off the table.  I was just clarifying that my original intent for the idea was not that it was trendy but that I felt it was a beautiful holiday.