Wedding Reception Forum

Wedding Venues in DC/MD/VA Area – $5000 or Less

Hello everyone,

I am a newbie here, in the VERY EARLY planning stages of a 2017 wedding! smile 

Given that I am on a tight budget, I am looking for an afforable venue. I would like to know if anyone can recommend an affordable venue in the DC/MD/VA area that would cost $5000 or less (and possibly include tables & chairs). I need to stay within 20 miles of Hyattsville, MD as that’s where the ceremony would be. I also would not like to do an outdoor tented venue.

I have already looked at PG County Elegant Settings venue and was hoping for The Prince Georges’ Ballroom but it looks like people have already put deposits for the dates I was interested in. 

Anyone familiar with/has experience with Rock Creek Mansion in Bethesda, Occasions Banquet Hall in Laurel, or Visarts in Rockville?

Would greatly appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks!

Re: Wedding Venues in DC/MD/VA Area – $5000 or Less

• OP, this is an international board so you may not get many specific responses.   I am not sure how popular the locals are (mine is beyond dead!).

That said, there are many ways to host a wedding under $5,000 much less find a venue.  The best approach is outside the "wedding venue" route.  First determine your guest list.  Account for all SO's and budget for Singles to get into a relationship.  Easiest way is to give all the singles a "plus-one".  When you book a venue remember to add EVERYONE to your count (You and FI, Wedding Party, Photographers, DJs, etc).  Find a venue that allows breathing room and eliminate anything too small. 

Some ideas:  Can you rent a church basement?  What about a park that has a climate controlled building?  A local museum, historical site, Restaurant, or  similar.  VFW Halls and Lodges can usually accommodate a larger guest list while maintaining a budget. 

I'm in central PA, and I was able to book an independent "hall style" venue that holds up to 300 guest weddings and had two outdoor spaces for the ceremony/cocktail hour for $2,000.  It included tables, chairs (inside and out), linens, use of their decorations (vases, rock fillers, chargers, candy buffet items, shepherds hooks, etc) and the Day of Coordinator.  I believe that you can find a venue that works, it just takes some time and research!

• Try your local country clubs.  Many have budget friendly packages.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • also keep in mind sometimes it's cheaper to go with something that offers everything, instead of thinking it'll be cheaper to rent a hall and then rent everything separately- it can add up and suddenly cost more - plus the stress of having to set up and break down everything yourself. 
    Completely agree with this!  I work at quite a nice hotel, and we do weddings. (Disclaimer: I don't work in that capacity and the hotel is far outside the OP's geographic area and this is in no way an advertisement.  I am just giving an example.)  Venue cost is $500 and includes absolutely everything except the food itself--tables, chairs, linens, plates, glasses, labor, dance floor, even simple centerpieces if desired.  People sometimes get a little offput when they hear our minimum food and beverage spend numbers, but when they run the numbers on rentals versus an inclusive package they very often determine that this is the most cost-effective option.
  • Thank you ladies for all the advice so far! I will definitely keep all those things in mind.

cowgirl8238 - thank you for the tip regarding head count! Also, can you please tell me what VFW stands for?
  • Thank you ladies for all the advice so far! I will definitely keep all those things in mind.

cowgirl8238 - thank you for the tip regarding head count! Also, can you please tell me what VFW stands for?
    VFW stands for Veterans of Foreign Wars, but I can't say I have ever heard anyone call it by anything other than the acronym.  VFWs and American Legions are dirt cheap to rent.