Chit Chat

has anyone negotiated salary before? tips?

Hi all!
I've missed being around chatting with everyone. Work has been nuts and not in a good way. To that end, I've been searching for a new job. I have an in-person interview for a job next week, one that I would really like to get!

... However. They let me know up front the starting salary that they had in mind and it's much lower than I make now. (They know this because I had to give salary history on the application.) I'd take the job if we could split the difference because it's a lateral move- even a smidge step down, but involves job duties I've never had and really want to fill a gaping hole in my resume. 

I'm just thinking ahead here, because I don't want to be offered the job and be caught unawares and unprepared to negotiate. 
-- Have any of you successfully negotiated a salary for a new job? This is different to me than negotiating raises with supervisors who know you and know your worth. I've been reading around on job search sites and places like Forbes but it's nice to hear experiences from real people-- and real women at that (you know stats show women don't negotiate enough... ugh). 

Thanks in advance. Hope all is well!

Re: has anyone negotiated salary before? tips?

• Thanks Charlotte! Incidentally I'm interviewing at a private university. I'm not sure what their ranges are, but I did try to gauge via higheredjobs.com. I'm definitely more comfortable communicating in writing too! 

I'm not sure yet if there are non-monetary things to ask for because the job is in student affairs (office with a view? hah). I've been at the same university for 11 years and probably take a lot of benefits for granted. 

Nice job on your negotiation! 

• When I started at my current employer I was doing something a bit similar to your situation: taking a bit of a step back in order to access some experience I needed to get in order to get to the sort of position I ultimately wanted.  They gave me a range that was topped out about $2 per hour less than what my previous job paid.  Once I got an offer for the top of their range I asked if there was room to negotiate and asked for an extra dollar.  They immediately agreed, which makes me wish I had asked for more.  Oh well, hindsight is 20/20.  They do a 90-day review and I got another dollar raise then, so I was pretty much even with the old job at that point.

When I got promoted to my current position there was zero room to negotiate and I'm still kind of bitter about it.  I know for a fact that the dude who held this position before me was making more than I do.  They made a big deal about how they were "taking a chance on me" moving me from a sort of assistant role to a salaried sales position, but my predecessor made an even bigger leap with less directly related experience.  The wage gap is alive and well, people! 
  • SaintPaulGal, good on you for negotiating and getting the raise! Sorry to hear about the wage gap :( 

• Thanks Charlotte! Incidentally I'm interviewing at a private university. I'm not sure what their ranges are, but I did try to gauge via higheredjobs.com. I'm definitely more comfortable communicating in writing too! 

I'm not sure yet if there are non-monetary things to ask for because the job is in student affairs (office with a view? hah). I've been at the same university for 11 years and probably take a lot of benefits for granted. 

What about working from home at times? Or flexible scheduling? I don't know as much about the student affairs side of things, but travel money is also big for us, and easier to fund than salary differences. Or one-time money to implement programs? 

What about working from home at times? Or flexible scheduling? I don't know as much about the student affairs side of things, but travel money is also big for us, and easier to fund than salary differences. Or one-time money to implement programs? 
    I definitely need to find out more about flexible scheduling and WFH, because "some nights and Saturdays" will be required (the school has online programs aimed at adult learners). There are conferences and webinars that focus on student retention that I could ask to be funded. Good ideas!