Chit Chat

CRACKpot Thanksgiving sides

My mom always wanted to make my grandfather feel relaxed on Thanksgiving.  He insisted one year on helping, so she put him in charge of the pumpkin pie.  Papa made it and served it proudly.  We all took a bite and it was like the "Friends" Thanksgiving episode with the trifle from hell (it tastes like feet!).  Papa realized he forgot to add sugar to the recipe.  We had a bonfire that night and the pumpkin pie went into it.  Papa never offered to help again.

Re: CRACKpot Thanksgiving sides

• My grandma on my dad's side was notorious for substituting ingredients when she didn't have what the recipe called for. For good cooks, this isn't normally an issue. But grandma was not a good cook. One year she substituted cream cheese for sour cream, and garlic powder for garlic salt (without reducing the amount used) for the mashed potatoes. No one ate potatoes that year.
  • My grandma on my dad's side was notorious for substituting ingredients when she didn't have what the recipe called for. For good cooks, this isn't normally an issue. But grandma was not a good cook. One year she substituted cream cheese for sour cream, and garlic powder for garlic salt (without reducing the amount used) for the mashed potatoes. No one ate potatoes that year.
    My sister accidentally put garlic salt instead of garlic powder on the garlic bread once. We could barely eat it!
  • I don't have anything specific. My mom's side of the family is full of excellent cooks so our Thanksgivings with them are awesome. My dad's side of the family is full of 100% unidentifiable dishes. Needless to say we do a lot of talking and not a lot of eating when we visit them. 

• Well, not Thanksgiving, but one year my uncle nearly burned down the house trying to flamé the Christmas pudding at the dinner table. Apparently instead of a light dusting of brandy, he also doused it with highest proof alcohol he could find and it shot straight up like a cartoon explosion. We all practically lost our eyebrows. There is still a black spot on the ceiling in the dinning room. 
    Hilarious! My grandmother did this one year when she didn't realise the the rum in the rum pot was extra strong that year and went high! Nearly singed her eyebrows!
  • I. Love. This. Thread!

One year my maternal grandmother, who is not particularly known for her cooking, wanted to get "fancy" with the turkey. She had recently seen a recipe in a magazine for a more gourmet version of a regular roast turkey. Unfortunately she misread the temperature it was supposed to cook at and we ended up eating the unintentionally slow-roasted turkey close to 9 or 10pm - HOURS after we were scheduled to eat. 

I was just a kid so I remember having to eat and then going to bed immediately after. Apparently the adults had whiled away the extra time before dinner by drinking wine, which meant that a couple of aunts & uncles ended up sleeping through the meal. 
  • I don't think we had any Thanksgiving Day meal blunders.  I'll have to wait for the Christmas thread.....

• I think it was Thanksgiving last year {not 100% sure} and I asked M to go stir the carrots that were boiling. Next thing I know, I hear something shaking then a loud clatter to the ground, followed by a string of curses. My mum and I were sitting in dining room, so we dash in. Carrots every where. Water every where. M stepping away and trying to pick up the rug, cat dishes, etc.

Apparently the stove thing - coil? - wasn't even, so when he went to stir it slid off pretty quick and hit the ground.
    Nothing broken, he wasn't burnt, but he was promptly kicked out of the kitchen unless needed.

Another time - this might be just inviting M's parents over for dinner - and we got a roast. Apparently someone changed the expiry date, because just as we were taking out of packaging to put something on it there was a horrible rancid scent.
    M jumped, threw it back in the packaging and went to the store to get it fixed. Luckily still had receipt so the just exchanged it. Guhhh
  • @DrillSergeantCat, I am dying over here thinking of whipped cream flavored with liquid smoke!
  • @DrillSergeantCat, I am dying over here thinking of whipped cream flavored with liquid smoke!
    It was terrible!!!
  • I made a pumpkin pie one year, sometime around fall/early winter, just for DH and I.

The recipe said sweetened condensed milk, no other sugar. Excellent! Fewer ingredients. Except when I went to the grocery store I grabbed the unsweetened condensed milk without even thinking....

DH wouldn't eat more than one piece of pie, but I didn't think it was *THAT* bad. Just very pumpkin-y.

I'll have to wait for Christmas for my cookie baking debacle.
  • SaintPaulGalSaintPaulGal member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited November 2016
    I don't have any good Thanksgiving food stories.  We went to my dad's side of the family when I was very young and I remember feeling personally betrayed when I found out there were giblets in the stuffing and the gravy.  Those were the two things I wanted most and I just couldn't do it.  Then when my grandma couldn't host anymore we did it at our house, and my mom is an excellent cook.

My modern funny Thanksgiving stories are about the booze.  My parents drink very little, and holidays have never involved alcohol.  Well when I first brought by FI (then boyfriend) home for Thanksgiving, they were aware that we like to drink and both of my parents went out and bought supplies.  My dad was super proud of himself for getting a beer sampler pack ("I got you beers!  I hope they're good ones! Did you see it has different kinds?!") and my mom got like 3-4 different kinds of wine.  I think that year was probably a hundred times as much booze in the house as ever before.  So after my dad has given us a few beers in succession, we sit down to the meal and my mom pours us wine.  FI failed to hear her tell him to "say when," so she kept pouring until the wine glass was completely filled to the rim.  We still break out laughing about that years later.  "How much wine would you like?  Maybe THE WHOLE GLASS FULL?"
  • These stories are great...and making me very thankful that my family is full of really good cooks! 
  • Several years ago I hosted TG (15ish people) for the 1st time.  My exH was "helping."  All I asked him to do was put sugar in with the sweet potatoes and salt in the mashed potatoes.  Can you tell where this it going?  He got them backwards and it was horrific!  Thank goodness there was so much more food (green bean cass, squash cass, stuffing, baked Mac'n'cheese) so everyone could still stuff themselves.
                            AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers
  • Oh, fun/embarrassing story about myself.

Every New Years Day my friend's family had a brunch. We looked forward to it every year!
    That year I was somewhat seeing my friend's brother {whole other} so I was kind of excited to be able to be around him.

Typically we saw my granny and her husband in January for xmas - her hours plus she lived an hour away. This New Years Day, they were picking me up after the brunch so we could have our xmas.

My friend bailed on me, her brother was pissing me off, so I decided to get into the mimosa's. My friend's mum typically left the bottle out and allowed us to fill up extra if we wanted to.
    I spent most of my time on a couch, near the kitchen, refilling my drink with extra champagne.

My mum got there to get me, I come out and she nearly makes me walk home because - of course - I'm pretty sloshed. We get home, she shoves me in the shower with water to attempt to sober up.

Oops!
  • Well, not Thanksgiving, but one year my uncle nearly burned down the house trying to flamé the Christmas pudding at the dinner table. Apparently instead of a light dusting of brandy, he also doused it with highest proof alcohol he could find and it shot straight up like a cartoon explosion. We all practically lost our eyebrows. There is still a black spot on the ceiling in the dinning room. 
    Hilarious! My grandmother did this one year when she didn't realise the the rum in the rum pot was extra strong that year and went high! Nearly singed her eyebrows!
    My dad did this once with the Christmas decorations. My mom and I had carefully decorated the mantle with garland. Dad loaded the logs into the fireplace, forgot to open the flue, put in some of those wax fire starters and lit the match. WOOOOSH! The garland caught fire and melted to the mantle, sending streamers of black smoke through the dining room. We all just stood their laughing our asses off. Ahhh the good old days, when they made Christmas decorations out of flammable materials.

Crackpot TG sides - my mother's green bean casserole. Her philosophy is the longer she cooks something, the better it is. She gets up early in the morning to make her famous green bean casserole and she bakes it for hours until it's one solid, rubbery mass. She's an awful cook who likes her own cooking.

My Grandmother was an excellent cook. She used to make the dreaded Mincemeat Pie. You know, there's really meat in that stuff? I loved my Grandmother with my whole heart, but as hard as I tried, I couldn't eat that disgusting pie.

• We just had a near miss in the guac house.   We're making a bacon mac n cheese dish for Thanksgiving at our in laws.   I looked in the Pyrex dish and saw that DH had poured the uncooked macaroni in and was about to pour on the cheesy goodness.   Luckily I stopped him and properly made the macaroni.
  • We just had a near miss in the guac house.   We're making a bacon mac n cheese dish for Thanksgiving at our in laws.   I looked in the Pyrex dish and saw that DH had poured the uncooked macaroni in and was about to pour on the cheesy goodness.   Luckily I stopped him and properly made the macaroni.

That would have been a travesty - wasting all that cheesy goodness!

• My Grandmother was an excellent cook. She used to make the dreaded Mincemeat Pie. You know, there's really meat in that stuff?

SITB

I used to love mincemeat pie. My Grandma made it a couple of years when I was a kid, and she and I were the only ones who ate it.

• My Grandmother was an excellent cook. She used to make the dreaded Mincemeat Pie. You know, there's really meat in that stuff?

SITB

I used to love mincemeat pie. My Grandma made it a couple of years when I was a kid, and she and I were the only ones who ate it.

Late to the party1

I've actually never had mincemeat pie.  But I've always been curious about it.

Love the stories!  I wish I could share...perhaps I don't wish that, lol...but my mom was a great cook.  TG meal was always perfect.  My H handles TG dinner in our house.  He does a great job.

However, here is my one weird TG story.  Titled: Thanksgiving Dinner at a Bar

My H (b/f at the time) had evacuated to Miami from Hurricane Katrina.  We came back to NOLA around mid-Nov.  The gas lines had flooded, so we had no stove...or hot water for that matter!...until late Jan.

What were we going to do for TG!  Few restaurants were open either.  But a local bar was!  And they served TG dinner that night.  It was out of crockpots and hot plates, but we were so thankful to have even that little semblance of normal.

In a way, that was one of my most precious TG meals.  Surrounded by strangers, but strangers united by the devastation we had all faced together.  And we were all a big family that night.  There was so much sadness, but that made the things we were thankful for that much more meaningful and important.

Sorry my post is a little more melancholy than funny!  But we did laugh at the time...and laugh when we remember...our TG dinner at Pal's Bar.

Thanks for sharing!  It may not be a funny horror story, but it is touching and beautiful.
  • Late to the party1

Love the stories!  I wish I could share...perhaps I don't wish that, lol...but my mom was a great cook.  TG meal was always perfect.  My H handles TG dinner in our house.  He does a great job.

My H (b/f at the time) had evacuated to Miami from Hurricane Katrina.  We came back to NOLA around mid-Nov.  The gas lines had flooded, so we had no stove...or hot water for that matter!...until late Jan.

What were we going to do for TG!  Few restaurants were open either.  But a local bar was!  And they served TG dinner that night.  It was out of crockpots and hot plates, but we were so thankful to have even that little semblance of normal.

In a way, that was one of my most precious TG meals.  Surrounded by strangers, but strangers united by the devastation we had all faced together.  And we were all a big family that night.  There was so much sadness, but that made the things we were thankful for that much more meaningful and important.

Sorry my post is a little more melancholy than funny!  But we did laugh at the time...and laugh when we remember...our TG dinner at Pal's Bar.

I would be tempted to bust this out seeing other people in same situation as me :)

That being said, it's great that you had some semblance of normal for a holiday! What did you do without stove/hot water afterwards?
  • Late to the party1

I would be tempted to bust this out seeing other people in same situation as me :)

That being said, it's great that you had some semblance of normal for a holiday! What did you do without stove/hot water afterwards?

Lots of crockpot and microwave meals.  In fact, my bday is Nov. 20th and we made a roast in the crockpot that year for it.

For hot water for dishes, I was crafty ;).  I'd send just water through our coffee maker to make it hot.  And then dip one of those dish wands into it and hand wash the dishes that way.

As I'm sure you can imagine, showers were the worst.  I'd stand away from the spray of cold water and just dip my wash cloth/soap into it.

The house was raised and the heaters were under the floors.  Weird, but it was a 100-year-old house.  The house didn't flood (super thankfully), though it came close.  But the heaters did.  Our landlady put in ventless gas heaters after that, but those didn't work until the gas came back on in late Jan. either.

We used space heaters and electric blankets.  I was crafty with the space heaters also.  They were sold out everywhere in the suburbs.  Few NOLA businesses were open, most people were going out to the suburbs to get anything.  But there was a little mom and pop ACE hardware open.  I found them there.  No luck on the electric blankets at first.  I had to wait about two weeks before stores had them in again.

Food, in general, was annoying, lol.  No stove, so fast food or restaurant?  20 minute one-way drive to the suburbs.  Grocery store?  Suburbs again.  It was roughly about 6 months before you started seeing signs of store life.  Two years in some of the hardest hit areas. 

No mail delivery to my house until April-ish.  The post office set up every day in a big parking lot for everyone to go pick up their mail.  No other postal services.  Just mail pick-up.  It was crazy.  No idea where my mail went for the entire months of Sept. and Oct., lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker