Wedding Woes
Options

Monday (Thanksgiving week)

13»

Re: Monday (Thanksgiving week)

• Options
    @Heffalump  oh jeez! My boss has two teen girls {14 and 16} and the shorts! So tiny ... what!?
    That's a lot of printed shirts for Wooz lol
  • Options
    Thanks everyone!  It felt good to type it out since I wasn't able to talk about it.  My sister's BFF is a nurse and works with a lot of Hep C patients.  She says the good news is that it's manageable and as long as he avoids things like alcohol and Tylenol, he can live a long, healthy, symptom free life.  The bad news is the treatment is crazy expensive, so hopefully we have time for that to change before he needs it.

He was trying to get into the walk in clinic near his house so he could start the actual treatment process and find out what types of doctors he needs to see next.  I'm hoping that's where he is now.
  • Options
    Glad to hear that it's manageable, @Kimmiinthemitten.  Sorry he is going through that!
    @misskittydanger, I can imagine a lot of people needing the basics covered.  That is a long time to go w/out money.  ugh!!!

• Options
    @thefanciestbeckler  did your boss get the hint?

@CharmedPam  yeh, no kidding. Most people are holding off on asking HR in case things get fixed before the 1st, but our mortgage comes out on the 26th so that's only reason M went to speak with them. This is absolutely insane -.-'
  • Options
    short+sassyshort+sassy member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2016
    Had a great weekend. Friday we didn't do much, but Saturday was massive cleaning (I finally cleaned the brass pipes in our bathroom, which I'm fairly certain have never been cleaned before), and we went to see Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. I loved it. Then dinner out. A nice date night before H goes off hunting for the next four weekends in a row. 

Sunday was football, yay for Bills and Steelers wins (sorry @AtomicBlonde that game was terrible). Other than that just getting ready to travel this week. Short work weeks always through me off and I feel like I don't know what I'm supposed to be doing. And someone scheduled a meeting this afternoon that absolutely could have waited until next week.

Random house-guest question. A friend of mine (was at one point my best friend and MOH but more like acquaintance now) and her H were planning to come to the house on Saturday on their way to another Ohio city. We made plans weeks ago where they were going to get here in the afternoon, see the new house, we'd go for a late lunch, then they'd travel on their way. Well Friday night (like 8pm) she texts and asks if we could meet 4 hours later than we originally planned and do dinner instead because they'd rather leave later. H and I had already planned to do dinner and a movie, and we could have cancelled our plans, but I really didn't want to, and I thought it was kind of obnoxious they wanted to push everything back and didn't let us know until the night before. We said no, and didn't end up seeing them. I feel a little bad, but I thought that was kind of rude. What would WW do? 

I wouldn't necessarily blame her for asking.  But, when you responded that would not work for you all, she should have just stuck to the plan.  Do they live OOT from you all?  If so, I'd especially be a bit hurt the plans changed at the last minute.  If not, I'd chalk it more up to "oh well, their loss, another time".

UGH!!!  Edited because I just read your post about some of the previous bad blood between you and this friend.  That was like Bridezilla Behavior 101.  I better understand why it has turned into a "if it's convenient to see each other, great, if not, meh".

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

@kimmiinthemitten, I'm sorry to hear about your brother's medical problems.  Vent/worry away on here.  I hope he is able to keep progressing upwards and hopefully keep the Hep C at bay.  Maybe a silver lining will be this is the sign he needs to stop drinking also.

@MissKittyDanger, what is up with M's work?  That is outrageous.  Every once in a great while I have worked somewhere that had ONE snafu that screwed up payroll for a few days.  But it sounds like this is a continuing problem and his company's attitude is, "Oh well."

We bought our TG turkey and fixings on Sat.  Winn Dixie (grocery store) was having a sale on Sat. and Sun.  Any frozen Honeysuckle turkey, regardless of size, only $6.  Cha-ching.  I almost bought two, to save one for another time, lol.  They also had no sugar-added pumpkin pies.  So excited!!!!  Because of my Type I Diabetes, I usually allow myself only one little piece and still feel guilty.  But last night I ate a big ole' slice, no guilt.  And still plenty for TG. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Heffalump said:

Y'all, I'm afraid I have a tween.  :O

I ran out at lunch to get DS some more pants (he's very picky) and some footie pajamas (because he's also picky about those, and also I die a little when we put them on and he says "My foot is hiding in here!").  Hit Gymboree and Carters, and got what I was looking for for DS, but realized none of it is Wooz's style anymore.  So I popped into Justice, and it was as if they turned the inside of her brain into a store.  Sequins, rainbows, and emojis everywhere. 

If you are not blessed with a tween girl in your life, pretty much this:

Image result

Oh, lordy.  I am so not ready for this.

On the plus side, I am doing a Christmas Eve box for the first time this year, and I (finally) found Christmas pajamas for both kids.  I got cocoa and stir sticks at Target last week.  I'll throw in some popcorn.  Christmas tree ornaments are en route (Disney Store ran a flash sale last week).  And I think that's all, given the total onslaught that will bury us Christmas morning.

I think I have mentioned in previous years that we also do St. Nicholas Day, because it's an old family tradition.  So along with a few small things, they're both getting new slippers this year.  Since you're supposed to leave a shoe out for St. Nick, I think this year, he'll deliver his goodies in the new slippers. So anyway, I had found slippers for Wooz, but not for DS until I was out at lunch today.  I feel like it was a very productive lunch hour.  Boxes being checked left and right. 

A bunch of the kids I grew up with celebrated this, all the Dutch, Italian, and Portuguese kids. 
  • Options
    @kimmiinthemitten - Hugs.   I can't even imagine how emotionally draining it all must be.  I hope your brother is able to get started on treatments soon.

@MissKittyDanger  - that is pretty BS.    Some states have laws about getting paid in a timely manor.    You might want to look it up what your state's requirements might be as a way to put a fire under their butts.

Weekend was mellow.    Saturday was spending too much at Costco.  We even bought a small freezer to store all the stuff.  Sunday was just a small hike and football.    

Today I picked up my ski pass.  Now we just need the snow.  Suppose to get some tonight/tomorrow.    

DH bought a Peloton spinning bike and it was delivered today.    If the bike wasn't expensive enough, I had to go out and buy cycling shoes too.      DH has ridden it twice today.   So that is a good sign he likes the bike.  I did a beginner class, which I enjoyed.  Still not convinced it's worth the cost. 

We also went to a furniture store to buy a new coffee table.  It will be delivered next week.  

I know xmas is coming, but I think we are finished spending money for a while. At least no gifts between the 2 of us.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    @Heffalump  Right!? I have literally been eyeing it for MONTHS and of course when I decide to buy it, it JUST comes off sale and I have to pay full price :( But it's worth it because I really wanted it.
    The wicker baskets they suggest look lame and I wanna get something with more colour - like turquoise or maybe even a light grey - that will make it pop :)
    If it's within 7 days, take the receipt back to the store and get the difference. Shhh, it's a bit of a secret but they have to honour this. 
    Seriously!? Crap I hope I still have the receipt!
    Our spinning biked arrived today.   I saw online they had a sale starting today that had $229 worth of accessories for free.   DH contact them and we will received the accessories in a few days.   

Last December I bought a sweater online.  A few HOURS later there was a sale blitz and sure enough the sweater was even cheaper.  I called and got the better price.

It's always wort trying.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    lyndausvi said:

@MissKittyDanger  - that is pretty BS.    Some states have laws about getting paid in a timely manor.    You might want to look it up what your state's requirements might be as a way to put a fire under their butts.

she's Canadian - so probably different rules. 

@kimmiinthemitten - sorry about the brother drama. feel free to vent. 

re: not getting paid - about 5 or so years ago, my company decided to move all of the salaried people to a monthly paycheck. I think some were on that schedule already but it was a big adjustment for everyone who was used to getting paid 2x/mo (or every 2 weeks). They did a good job of communication, and let us know a couple of months in advance, so people could plan for the changeover period. @MissKittyDanger - it's crappy that your H's company is doing this with no notice, but at least HR is willing to work with them. 

I'm set to present to our whole departmental leadership team next Monday. Showed my preliminary slides to one of my functional leaders and made her a believer, so hopefully I can get the rest of the leaders on board. I need to get them finished tomorrow so I can enjoy my long weekend. (Off Wed - Sun)
  • Options
    *Barbie* said:
    lyndausvi said:

she's Canadian - so probably different rules. 

@kimmiinthemitten - sorry about the brother drama. feel free to vent. 

re: not getting paid - about 5 or so years ago, my company decided to move all of the salaried people to a monthly paycheck. I think some were on that schedule already but it was a big adjustment for everyone who was used to getting paid 2x/mo (or every 2 weeks). They did a good job of communication, and let us know a couple of months in advance, so people could plan for the changeover period. @MissKittyDanger - it's crappy that your H's company is doing this with no notice, but at least HR is willing to work with them. 

I'm set to present to our whole departmental leadership team next Monday. Showed my preliminary slides to one of my functional leaders and made her a believer, so hopefully I can get the rest of the leaders on board. I need to get them finished tomorrow so I can enjoy my long weekend. (Off Wed - Sun)
    I keep forgetting that.      Grr.

Sorry.

• Options
    edited November 2016
    Hold your kiddos extra tight tonight and please keep Chattanooga in your thoughts and prayers. A school bus holding 35 kids grades  kindergarten through 5th grade crashed this afternoon. So far there are 6 confirmed deaths  :'( our hearts are broken. 

http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/21/us/tennessee-chattanooga-school-bus-accident/index.html

eta word

• Options
    Hold your kiddos extra tight tonight and please keep Chattanooga in your thoughts and prayers. A school bus holding 35 kids grades  kindergarten through 5th grade crashed this afternoon. So far there are 6 confirmed deaths  :'( our hearts are broken. 

http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/21/us/tennessee-chattanooga-school-bus-accident/index.html

eta word
    @thefanciestbeckler
    That's horrible. Those poor children and families. Sending out lots of thoughts and healing vibes to the community. 
  • Options
    @*Barbie* @lyndausvi  @short+sassy
    He could go to the labour board, but they got some answers yesterday on what's really happening with the company - which still freaks me out. I'm guessing company isn't doing great, so they're getting bought under an umbrella company. Because of this, they're getting money and nothing has lined up yet because it's through a few different places.
    Down side? There could be job security risk.

Short version, M needs to GTFO like yesterday
  • Options
    @thefanciestbeckler, that is horrible. Thoughts and prayers to all the family.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    @ILoveBeachMusic @*Barbie* it's just horrible. Even worse, a mom of one of the children who died in the crash wrote a letter complaining about this particular bus driver 2 weeks ago, and nothing was done. Now he has several counts of vehicular homicide amongst other charges against him. This could have been prevented. It breaks my heart for those families.

• Options
    @thefanciestbeckler  I can't access the link on my work computer, what happened?
    Also what happened before that caused the mother to write in?
    So sad :(
  • Options
    @thefanciestbeckler  I can't access the link on my work computer, what happened?

@MissKittyDanger the bus driver was going over the speed limit on a curvy road and lost control of the bus. The bus slid and ended up flipping onto its side and hitting a tree. The tree was literally in the middle of the bus :( Apparently this bus driver was known to be pretty reckless. The mom had complained because he taunted the kids on the bus and would repeatedly slam the brakes on to cause them to hit their heads on the seats in front of them. I just read that she had been calling since August and wrote a formal complaint 2 weeks ago.

I don't know if this is a nationwide thing, but in TN school buses don't have seatbelts in case of a fire.

• Options

@ILoveBeachMusic @*Barbie* it's just horrible. Even worse, a mom of one of the children who died in the crash wrote a letter complaining about this particular bus driver 2 weeks ago, and nothing was done. Now he has several counts of vehicular homicide amongst other charges against him. This could have been prevented. It breaks my heart for those families.

That whole story is horrific, including the photos of the bus. 

Also, SMH at the driver's mother saying it was "God's will."  Y'all know I'm not religious, but even if I were, I would place the blame squarely on the person who was driving too fast.

• Options
    Heffalump said:

Also, SMH at the driver's mother saying it was "God's will."  Y'all know I'm not religious, but even if I were, I would place the blame squarely on the person who was driving too fast.

I am religious, and I am majorly side-eyeing that lady. That is crazy. She just doesn't want to accept that her son could be the cause of something so horrific.

• Options

@MissKittyDanger the bus driver was going over the speed limit on a curvy road and lost control of the bus. The bus slid and ended up flipping onto its side and hitting a tree. The tree was literally in the middle of the bus :( Apparently this bus driver was known to be pretty reckless. The mom had complained because he taunted the kids on the bus and would repeatedly slam the brakes on to cause them to hit their heads on the seats in front of them. I just read that she had been calling since August and wrote a formal complaint 2 weeks ago.

I don't know if this is a nationwide thing, but in TN school buses don't have seatbelts in case of a fire.

I think the no seat belts are all buses, no belts here.

Jeez I hope they convict him of all the charges! That's ridiculous and should never have been allowed on the road with ANY vehicle!!
  • Options
    Heffalump said:

I hate this attitude, in general.  It's the lazy way to throw ones' hands up and take no responsibility for their own actions.  Or, in this case, the actions of her son who drove so aggressively and recklessly that he killed innocent children.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I Just read that the bus driver yelled "Are you all ready to die" before the crash and now they're considering it to be an intentional act. 
  • Options

I think the no seat belts are all buses, no belts here.

Jeez I hope they convict him of all the charges! That's ridiculous and should never have been allowed on the road with ANY vehicle!!
    1.  They re-aired a report about it on The Today Show this morning.  Only 5 states require it.

2.  He's been arrested officially for vehicular homicide and a couple other charges.

• Options
    I saw that on the news this morning! There are no words!
  • Options

I Just read that the bus driver yelled "Are you all ready to die" before the crash and now they're considering it to be an intentional act. 
    Oh my goodness that is awful! I hope he is found guilty on all counts! The driver's mother is nuts - it was her son's actions that caused the accident and yes I'm a religious person.
  • Options

WHAT???? I have absolutely no words for this. I haven't read that article yet. I'm sure it will be circulating like crazy on FB whenever I can sign on. He deserves to be found guilty on all counts. What kind of a heartless person does something like that to children? Disgusting.