Chit Chat

Let's talk Christmas!

What are you getting your friends and family for Christmas? Anything special you're asking for?

Re: Let's talk Christmas!

• edited November 2016
    I'm getting FW a model of the Millennium Falcon. She wants the Lego version, but it's way out of my budget. This model is pretty cool, though. 

FMIL: A copy of the original book and lyrics from "Rent" (she loves the show) and a vintage print of Miami Beach (she lived there for 30+ years).

Mom: "Good Poems," edited by Garrison Keillor (she's an avid reader and a fan of his) and baking her favorite chocolate cranberry cookies.

Dad: Cigars and something edible or drinkable.

Teenage nephew: Marvel graphic novels 

School-age niece: Dollhouse furniture (she has my old dollhouse)

Young cousins: Christmas ornaments 

I'm trying not to get carried away spending on FSD. I'll post about her in another thread.

ETA: Grandma (Dad's side) is getting a vintage trivet to hang on her kitchen wall. I'm at a loss for what to get for my Oma (Mom's side). I'm thinking about a pair of knitted slippers.
  • Always complicated for gifts

I bake for my uncles.

nana {dad's side} - coronation street calendar, baking lemon bars {our favourite} and probably something else small. Debating on a colouring book - my mum saw coronation street one

granny {mum's side} - I have no freaking clue. Maybe a self care set. She's girlie and likes to relax.

mum - kate spade perfume {roller ball} lindor chocolate or fancy chocolate, short bread cookies, tea or colouring book

M - desk from ikea for his computer and monitors

M's mum and step dad - so far all we got are shell chocolates. Also picking up wine and going to get it paired with a chocolate. Plus something else.
  • Seems like we are going to give MIL a family trip on a cruise.  Which is huge.  Not because of costs, but the last time she left the NYC metro area was our wedding...8 years ago... in southern NJ.    But she has expressed an interest in doing a family vacation so DH's siblings suggested give her that. We completely agree, so now it's just locking down dates and itineraries.    

My parents are hard.  They have what they need, buy what they want.    Last year I gave them 3 GC to their favorite restaurants.  One for breakfast, one for lunch one for a nice dinner.   The year before an airplane ride over Hawaii.   I've been all over the place, kind-of stumped right now.  Maybe a model airplane for my dad to keep him busy?  Mom is harder.  

Nieces/nephews - Visa gift cards

DH and I have been spending a money on new furniture, spinner bike and other joint stuff in the last few months.  I think we decided not to give each other anything.   Or maybe a wine cooler.    I will still give DH some stocking stuffers.  Socks, multiple-functioning scarves for skiing.  

We do not exchange with siblings.  Friends are normally food and booze related.  Ha.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • drunkenwitchdrunkenwitch member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited November 2016
    Annual fried chicken and Die Hard in our pajamas. We have some friends who have chosen to spend Christmas away from their families for their own sanity so they are coming to our place. I told them we have a strict dress code, comfy clothes and or pajamas are required. no one seems to have a problem with that.

• Annual fried chicken and Die Hard in our pajamas. We have some friends who have chosen to spend Christmas away from their families for their own sanity so they are coming to our place. I told them we have a strict dress code, comfy clothes and or pajamas are required. no one seems to have a problem with that.
    A friend of mine who lives on the West Coast away from his family does something similar. He cooks spaghetti for his friends who are also away from their families (or need to stay away from their families).
  • Mom and Dad I usually get some small things every year - calendar, puzzle, etc.  And we do a pick a name gift exchange, so SIL is likely getting movie passes, GC's to a local restaurant/bowling/axe throwing/arcade games place along with 1 night of weekend babysitting

DH and I are going to be asking for some camping/hiking stuff I think.  Headlamp, dry sacs, base layers, etc.  We've got a big trip planned for next year, so I think stocking up now will be a good idea.  Especially since we never have anything on our lists when our parents ask.  At least we can put something on there now.  

• Mom and Dad I usually get some small things every year - calendar, puzzle, etc.  And we do a pick a name gift exchange, so SIL is likely getting movie passes, GC's to a local restaurant/bowling/axe throwing/arcade games place along with 1 night of weekend babysitting

DH and I are going to be asking for some camping/hiking stuff I think.  Headlamp, dry sacs, base layers, etc.  We've got a big trip planned for next year, so I think stocking up now will be a good idea.  Especially since we never have anything on our lists when our parents ask.  At least we can put something on there now.  
    I want a restaurant that offers axe throwing along with bowling!  How is this not a national chain???

As far as my Christmas...
    My mom and I just finished up chocolate-making, which has become a holiday tradition for us to do on Thanksgiving weekend.  She does most of the work, because tempering chocolate intimidates me.  We give almost everyone we know boxes of chocolates for Christmas.
  • missfrodo said:
    I want a restaurant that offers axe throwing along with bowling!  How is this not a national chain???

My mom and I just finished up chocolate-making, which has become a holiday tradition for us to do on Thanksgiving weekend.  She does most of the work, because tempering chocolate intimidates me.  We give almost everyone we know boxes of chocolates for Christmas.

SIB - It's called the Rec Room.  I think they're in Toronto too, and maybe Vancouver, but not sure.  It's part of Cineplex (our movie theatres).  Big entertainment centre to get you to spend money.  :D

• We have started to decrease the present side of Christmas. In my family, adults are just drawing another adult's name and buying one gift with a max amount of $50.00. I like this because it really reduces the 'stuff' and puts our focus back on spending time together. I drew my Mom and I think she would love a pedicure gift certificate.

H and I still exchange gifts privately and I have no clue what to get him. Perhaps a bottle of his favourite scotch ...

• missfrodo said:

SIB - It's called the Rec Room.  I think they're in Toronto too, and maybe Vancouver, but not sure.  It's part of Cineplex (our movie theatres).  Big entertainment centre to get you to spend money.  :D
    It appears I need to plan a trip to Canada...
  • We're trying the four gift thing for the kiddies (something you want, something you need, something to wear, something to read), to lessen the blow of the 34762 toys they'll get from relatives.
    For my sisters and SILs, and the few aunts and cousins I exchange gifts with, I've had homemade vanilla extract steeping since September.  They'll each get a small bottle and a mason jar recipe (choc chip cookies, oatmeal cookies, or brownies, depending on who it's for). I bake cookie platters for the secretaries at school, our doctors, and the priests at our church, but for those closer, the make your own recipe in a jar is more fun (or so the recipients have said).
    My mom will also get the vanilla, and some sort of photo gift (thanks Shutterfly!).  My dad gets a pair of his favorite wool socks.

I suggested to DH that we buy a couples gift together, like really really nice sheets, and he agreed.  This was partially bc I want A++ sheets (my bridal shower was four years ago), and partially bc I didn't feel like getting another awkward-fitting sweater from him/buying him a GameStop gift card or weed.   :D
  • I just finished my Christmas shopping. Each couple in my family gets one kid that is not their own plus one adult. Each gift has a minimum of $50. I got my niece this year and she got a doll and a stroller, an Elsa doll, and frozen pjs 

I do candy bags for the rest of my nieces and nephews. They are the same as stocking stuffers but cause they get them at Easter too we went with naming them candy bags

My FI's birthday is also in December. For his birthday I got him a towel warmer that he wanted. For Christmas I got him noise canceling headphones, RL sleep pants and tshirt, a nice notebook and pen and a bottle of craft beer with a cookbook. He also gets a candy bag but his will have less candy and things like socks underwear and more booze lol.  

• I got H a PS4, a game for it, and a new outfit consisting of jeans, belt, shirt, and shoes. He made a comment a while back that he wishes I could dress him so I hope he remembers that and isn't offended.

My mom got a box set of Amazing Grace perfume.

Her H got 2 antique Elvis books since he's a huge Elvis fan and impossible to buy for.

Mouse is getting an activity table, a chewbacca pillow and blanket, The Night Before Christmas book, and pajamas. I'll probably also get him some bath toys. I just can't see going crazy when he'll have zero recollection of the day.

Not sure what to get eldest son. He just won't tell me what he wants or needs. I did get him a pair of Christmas pajamas since he's spending Christmas Eve with us because he want's to see his little brother open Christmas presents. 

Got MIL a stockpot and she also asked for a new pair of sweatpants and I'm crocheting her a scarf.

I'm crocheting scarves for Mouse's teachers at daycare.

I don't get anything for my brother because we never see each other.

I don't know what to ask for this year and H is on my case about it. My list so far includes the Harry Potter book set (because exH stole the ones I had), a bluetooth speaker, steam mop, and a wire whisk. I think I'll ask for a new baby carrier, too, but I don't know if I want a Tula or a new Ergobaby 360. We were at the antique store where H got my engagement and wedding rings and were looking at his other jewelry, but I only wear earrings and my wedding rings so I asked him not to get me any of that (I just enjoy talking about jewelry).
  • So...apologies in advance for the humblebrag.  

I am having a hell of a time figuring out presents this year.  I am one of those people who loves finding just the right present, and I have had a string of good luck in uncovering exactly what I was searching for over the past few years.  So at this point people kind of expect a lot.  Well this year my "finder" skills just aren't cooperating.  

It doesn't help that everyone in my life is hard to buy for: My partner would never pooh-pooh a gift but I know he is very particular in his choices.  This is a man who has been locked in an internal debate about what specific mechanical pencil he wants to buy literally for years!  My parents are pretty well off so they can go ahead and buy the things they want unless they are ungoldy expensive--and if they are then I couldn't give them as a gift anyway.  My sister is an extreme minimalist college kid going to school on the other side of the country. 

So far I have a heated jacket for my dad and a weird collectible related to one of FI's hobbies.  No idea what else I will wind up with at this point.
  • Since DH and I are going on a very expensive trip 2 weeks after xmas, I told him to keep costs down.  Got him some clothing, as did my parents.  He needs new clothes badly.  Boring boring.  I know.

paintnite has 50% off coupon codes and 3 of my friends got those codes.  You can set up an email delivery for any day of the week too, so they get it sent Christmas day.

Siblings:  all have kids.  I usually give my nieces and soon to be niece or nephew a gift instead. 

And I'm stuck on what to get my parents.  I need ideas. They dont need clothes or any thing for the house either, it will be edible or a ticket to an event or something.

My parents bought my Christmas gift this weekend too.  A garmin heart rate monitor and a cast iron skillet (on the account of you ladies).

• So...apologies in advance for the humblebrag.  

I am having a hell of a time figuring out presents this year.  I am one of those people who loves finding just the right present, and I have had a string of good luck in uncovering exactly what I was searching for over the past few years.  So at this point people kind of expect a lot.  Well this year my "finder" skills just aren't cooperating.  

It doesn't help that everyone in my life is hard to buy for: My partner would never pooh-pooh a gift but I know he is very particular in his choices.  This is a man who has been locked in an internal debate about what specific mechanical pencil he wants to buy literally for years!  My parents are pretty well off so they can go ahead and buy the things they want unless they are ungoldy expensive--and if they are then I couldn't give them as a gift anyway.  My sister is an extreme minimalist college kid going to school on the other side of the country. 

So far I have a heated jacket for my dad and a weird collectible related to one of FI's hobbies.  No idea what else I will wind up with at this point.
    I'm getting H a Nest thermostat because he talks about it all of the time. I got my Dad a "our last name" geneology explanation, framed with a family seal, because he's in to that sort of stuff. Nieces and nephews assorted toys.

H's brother is engaged, and she has two daughters. I don't feel like anyone in their family treated them like they're family (and there have been several discussion where I point that out), so I want to go out of my way to get them something, but I'm at a loss. They're 5 and 7.

@SaintPaulGal tell me more about this heated jacket. It sounds amazing. I'm always cold!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • drglitter said:
    So...apologies in advance for the humblebrag.  

I'm getting H a Nest thermostat because he talks about it all of the time. I got my Dad a "our last name" geneology explanation, framed with a family seal, because he's in to that sort of stuff. Nieces and nephews assorted toys.

H's brother is engaged, and she has two daughters. I don't feel like anyone in their family treated them like they're family (and there have been several discussion where I point that out), so I want to go out of my way to get them something, but I'm at a loss. They're 5 and 7.

@SaintPaulGal tell me more about this heated jacket. It sounds amazing. I'm always cold!
    I discovered it by chance this past weekend: apparently Dewalt tools now makes heated jackets that use the same batteries as their tools!  Here is the full lineup: http://www.dewalt.com/products/gear-and-equipment/safety-and-protective-workwear/heated-gear

They seem to get good reviews.  My dad farms, which includes a lot of outdoor time even in the winter.  I hope he will use it, but even if not he will at least appreciate the sentiment.  And that's about as much as a gift giver can hope for with him.
  • Thank you. That's amazing. FIL farms and spends a lot of time freezing outside. Maybe that would work for him.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I'm a terrible gift buyer. I never know what to get for people. I truly want to give a gift that someone will enjoy and USE- I hate my own things sitting around, so I don't want to give that to someone else (I know, I know, it's the thought). I'm also very indecisive. It doesn't make for a good combo.

My dad and his wife always buy what they need, so they are hard to shop for. I got them a GC to their favourite restaurant.

My grandparents also have oodles of STUFF, so I got them a GC for a group of restaurants. Figure it can save them the work of making a few meals.

My youngest brother just got his first car this past summer, so I got him a car emergency kit (jumper cables, tow cable, first aid kit, etc).

My other brother I had bought a screw driver where the head swivels 360 degrees and locks into a few different positions. It's meant to be used for small spaces (like under the kitchen sink). Then he says he and his FI are low on funds so they don't want to do a gift exchange! Well I think he's getting it anyway.

My mom asked for a tie-dye hoodie. I searched high and low and finally found one locally- a woman dyes various clothing items and sells them out of her home. Sweet! I got my mom's boyfriend a bottle of Crown Royal Black.

No idea what to get for SIL, but DH suggested we make a contribution towards her student loan. Totally lame, but it would be useful. Particularly as she is planning an out of the country trip next year.

DH I bought Saxx underwear, the same screwdriver I bought for my brother, and flannel lined pants from Eddie Bauer (they are pretty awesome).

Our niece and nephew we always have a hard time buying for. They always have EVERYTHING. I've even bought gifts before for birthday/Christmas to find out it's something they already have. We try to buy something for creative play, or really anything that isn't an electronic, so this year we bought them both books.

FIL said no gifts this year. He'd rather just spend time together. And MIL does not celebrate Christmas.

When I was younger I really looked forward to opening presents, but now that I'm older and can buy my own things, I really prefer the focus on spending time. 

Any good ideas for a Mother In-law? Usually my Husband is meant to find something since he knows her best and my suggestions don't cut the mustard. We tend to end up buying her the same things year after year that we know she likes which we can't do this year as we know she doesn't currently need those things. Plus it feels lame getting her one of 2 items each time, she must think we have no imagination (true it seems lol).

She doesn't like things that clutter. Nothing to do with perfume or reading. Busy career woman not the type to sit around knitting in her slippers either.  Good sheets is it good idea http://jonsguide.org/best-top-dreamfit-sheets-reviews/ ?  Budget $100 – $150 but we are flexible with it for the perfect thing. Help us WP, please :)  

If she is out and about all the time, would something like a restaurant GC work? That way she can grab a nice meal on the weekend or after work if she doesn't feel like cooking? A nice scarf (either winter or fashion)? Sheets or towels are always a good idea.
  • Liksy said:
    Organizers for her home or car can be a good idea.

Welcome to The Knot.  Please check the date of the last post prior to responding.  As you can see, this post is 4 YEARS old.