Chit Chat

The Final Four Words. GG SPOILERS.

I binge watched all four episodes with my sisters in law. We had a very Gilmore Girls feast; pizza, Chinese, Red Vines, pop tarts, biscotti, and champagne. 

So, what did everyone think about being back in Stars Hollow? Overall, I loved it. Did anyone else feel better about the ending knowing that's how ASP always intended to end the series? Do you want to see another season after that? (I kind of don't, I think it was the final closure the series deserved). Thoughts on Luke and Lorelai finally getting married? I kind of loved Christopher's analysis of why she could never get married before? 

There's clearly a lot to discuss. 

Re: The Final Four Words. GG SPOILERS.

• The first 2 episodes were so painful to watch I haven't bother to watch the last 2.     Don't worry, I'm not upset at the spoilers.  Actually prefer so now I don't have to watch.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I have 3 words for their 4 words.

What the fuck.

BF was sitting next to me on couch only barely watching it when I yelled "you assholes" at the TV .  he isn't even a fan of the show and agreed that was a dick move.

• I very much enjoyed watching the growth and progression of Emily.  Paris, as always, cracks me up!  Summer?  They could have skipped it completely.....that play??  I was frankly disappointed at the character development, or lack of it, with Rory and Lorelai. 

The Logan/Rory story drove me nuts.  I am absolutely "Team Logan" but cannot believe Rory would be OK with being 'the other one".  I wanted more closure, not a cliff hanger!
  • MobKaz said:
    I very much enjoyed watching the growth and progression of Emily.  Paris, as always, cracks me up!  Summer?  They could have skipped it completely.....that play??  I was frankly disappointed at the character development, or lack of it, with Rory and Lorelai. 

The Logan/Rory story drove me nuts.  I am absolutely "Team Logan" but cannot believe Rory would be OK with being 'the other one".  I wanted more closure, not a cliff hanger!
    I liked what they did with Emily.  Paris is always good for a laugh.

Like you said, Rory and Lorelei was disappointed.  Rory has been the other woman twice now. Also has cheated in a few other relationships.   Then add in the whole dating Paul for 2 years and stringing him along plot (which was just weird).   She isn't a very nice person, at least when it comes to relationships.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • lyndausvi said:
    MobKaz said:
    I very much enjoyed watching the growth and progression of Emily.  Paris, as always, cracks me up!  Summer?  They could have skipped it completely.....that play??  I was frankly disappointed at the character development, or lack of it, with Rory and Lorelai. 

I liked what they did with Emily.  Paris is always good for a laugh.

Like you said, Rory and Lorelei was disappointed.  Rory has been the other woman twice now. Also has cheated in a few other relationships.   Then add in the whole dating Paul for 2 years and stringing him along plot (which was just weird).   She isn't a very nice person, at least when it comes to relationships.
    I don't think she was ever good at relationships; she was horrible to Dean the first time around, Jess wasn't good to her, and she kept trying to change him, I do think Logan was the best of he three (although I like how Jess turns things around in the series) but he brought out her entitled-news (is that a word?). She also tried to cheat on Logan with Jess and was using Jess to hurt Logan.

I kind of see her relationships in the series as an extension of how she was in the show. I definitely didn't like that she was cheating on Paul and sleeping with Logan while he was engaged, but looking at her history that's not all too surprising. 
  • I hated that she is 32 and living like she just graduated college. And I hate that she is pregnant, and seemingly not going to tell the father (at least, that's how I interpreted her conversation with Christopher).  
  • I hated that she is 32 and living like she just graduated college. And I hate that she is pregnant, and seemingly not going to tell the father (at least, that's how I interpreted her conversation with Christopher).  
    That was definitely vague.  I interpreted it as Rory deciding whether she could/should raise the baby as a single parent. I'm not sure the conversation meant she plans to keep the pregnancy from the father.  I would not be happy if she did that.  I had read that perhaps the writer's meant to portray Rory living "full circle" similar to Lorelai, taking much of her adult life to mature and really "grow up".  Regardless, it was not as I hoped.
  • CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2016
    Spring and Summer started to get a bit boring for me.  Winter set the mood - and fall closed it (at least, should have until those last four words were spoken).

I felt like the chemistry was lost between Luke and Lorelai and I was kinda irritated at how they acted like friends and actually just what Emily had said - roommates.  But then the big whole "Wild" revolution happened and you could tell it was kinda set up that way but I also read that Lauren and Scott didn't get along during the original series, and I was just wondering if I was seeing that through the acting.  Nope.  They became the normal Luke and Lorelai during the last half. 

Rory being pregnant: I agree with the others, given her past - no shocker there.  And I'm a fan of Logan, don't get me wrong. 

edit:  I meant "Rory being 'the other women' not 'being pregnant'.   That did not come out right.  I stayed up till 1:30 finishing the series.  I am sooooo tired!

• I was in avid talks with 2 friends about this.
    Things noted between the 3 of us

- 'full circle' is a term talked about a lot
    - Logan is going to the future Christopher, and likely Jess will be future Luke.
    - Rory didn't learn shit at Yale {Dean situation}

I loved the evolution of Emily. They obviously did the research on grief. Counseling reactions, the way people function mentally and physically ... it was good to see. They did it well.

Also, is no one talking about Lorelai and Luke's wedding!? It was beautiful :) Definitely worth the wait and I love what they did. By themselves - Luke in his leather jacket! - and Kirk did a great job.

- Logan is going to the future Christopher, and likely Jess will be future Luke.

I loved the evolution of Emily. They obviously did the research on grief. Counseling reactions, the way people function mentally and physically ... it was good to see. They did it well.

Also, is no one talking about Lorelai and Luke's wedding!? It was beautiful :) Definitely worth the wait and I love what they did. By themselves - Luke in his leather jacket! - and Kirk did a great job.
    It was a pretty princess day set up! They up and got married without their invited guests and were planning to still have another "wedding ceremony" in front of their guests the next day. 

And Emily wasn't there, which after the whole development of her relationship with Lorelai just seemed mean. 

It was a pretty princess day set up! They up and got married without their invited guests and were planning to still have another "wedding ceremony" in front of their guests the next day. 

And Emily wasn't there, which after the whole development of her relationship with Lorelai just seemed mean. 
    I get that, but I don't think they'd leave everyone hanging. This wedding was much more 'them' ... they talked multiple times about eloping before. They even said the wedding was more for the town than them.
  • I was actually pleased that Rory wasn't hugely successful and was still struggling with relationships. I thought Dean's cameo was kind of pointless, Jess is a hottie, and I love Logan. I completely understand the Vegas agreement but could never stand to be the 'other woman'. 
    I LOVED Emily.
    Lorelai and luke's wedding will send a surge of people here planning 'alice and wonderland' or 'gilmore girls' themed weddings. It was stunning though. I thought it was really selfish they didn't include Emily though. I imagine she will be the most hurt by missing their marriage.
    The musical sucked and took up too much time. Though I guess they had to fit in the Wild inducing song somehow.
    The last 4 words: I was so mad. I want more damn it!
    Over all, I loved it. Fall was the best Obviously.
  • I wasn't expecting Rory to be some CNN Pulitzer prize winning journalist,  but I think they swung her too far the other way.    To me at least, they made her even more unlikeable than she already was.

I know there was an issue with Amy and the producers in regards to them not being involved with Season 7.   Amy and David said they never saw season 7 and it showed.  I felt there was a disconnect.  Rory was leaving to be on Obama's campaign trail.  How did she go from that to where she is now?  9 years later she can't even get let alone hold a job? 

Logan proposed, she shot him down.  Then 9 years later they are still hooking up?  At the same time she keeps forgetting she has a boyfriend of 2 years?  Really?

Some of the cameos were lame.  

April, Luke's daughter wasn't there. Neither was Jess, TJ and Liz. But Michel and Lane were there??? 
  • lyndausvi said:
    I wasn't expecting Rory to be some CNN Pulitzer prize winning journalist,  but I think they swung her too far the other way.    To me at least, they made her even more unlikeable than she already was.

I know there was an issue with Amy and the producers in regards to them not being involved with Season 7.   Amy and David said they never saw season 7 and it showed.  I felt there was a disconnect.  Rory was leaving to be on Obama's campaign trail.  How did she go from that to where she is now?  9 years later she can't even get let alone hold a job? 

Logan proposed, she shot him down.  Then 9 years later they are still hooking up?  At the same time she keeps forgetting she has a boyfriend of 2 years?  Really?

Yeh I think they really swung her harshly, but part of me is thinking that was on purpose .... to show even those who excelled in school don't always have things worked out. I would have been more irked if she was super successful. Look at the "30-something Gang"

Apparently Amy always knew the "Final Four Words" would be that.

Also it makes sense she's still attached to Logan, same way Lorelai was attached to Christopher. I would forget Paul too. He's so forgettable!

SOOKIE WAS BEST CAMEO! I legit teared up.
  • Can we talk about how amazing pretty much all of them looked?  Like 9 years hadn't gone by?

• lyndausvi said:
    I wasn't expecting Rory to be some CNN Pulitzer prize winning journalist,  but I think they swung her too far the other way.    To me at least, they made her even more unlikeable than she already was.

Yeh I think they really swung her harshly, but part of me is thinking that was on purpose .... to show even those who excelled in school don't always have things worked out. I would have been more irked if she was super successful. Look at the "30-something Gang"

Also it makes sense she's still attached to Logan, same way Lorelai was attached to Christopher. I would forget Paul too. He's so forgettable!

I agree; she was always supposed to be pregnant at the end (whenever the end was supposed to be) because as much as she tried not to be like her mother (or be better than her mother) she was like her. 

I also loved the Sookie cameo. I wished she was in more although I get why she wasn't. 
  • lyndausvi said:

I agree; she was always supposed to be pregnant at the end (whenever the end was supposed to be) because as much as she tried not to be like her mother (or be better than her mother) she was like her. 

I also loved the Sookie cameo. I wished she was in more although I get why she wasn't. 
    I just read an article that Amy originally wanted it said at the end of the series originally.

#MoreSookie!
  • I also hate that the final words are the same. Getting pregnant unexpectedly at 23 versus 32 are very different stories to be telling. Feels lazy to just stick with it. 
  • Can we talk about how amazing pretty much all of them looked?  Like 9 years hadn't gone by?
    Right!? Kelly Bishop is 72 now!
  • So I went back and saw the last half of Fall.  I was sleepy on Sunday but wanted to get through it.  The Chris/Rory conversation makes more sense now.

Also, since Lorelai is expanding the dragonfly inn, does that mean Michel stays? Not like we're going to see anything that happens after (right?) anyway, but Michel needs to stay with DFI and Lorelai.

• So I went back and saw the last half of Fall.  I was sleepy on Sunday but wanted to get through it.  The Chris/Rory conversation makes more sense now.

Also, since Lorelai is expanding the dragonfly inn, does that mean Michel stays? Not like we're going to see anything that happens after (right?) anyway, but Michel needs to stay with DFI and Lorelai.
    The conversation made more sense after knowing what was going on.

He better stay now.
    Did you read the story that when Edward Herrmann was in the hospital, his family invited Kelly Bishop to say "good bye". She the was only non-family member there. Edward used to refer to her as his second wife.
  • You guys, my home wifi went on the fritz when I only had the last episode to go. So I went to the gym and did the elliptical for 45 minutes just so I could bum the gym's wifi and stream on my phone. 

Anyway. This was everything I hoped and dreamed it would be. All the old characters were back- even Francie! Fall was by far the best episode. Emily's character development was fantastic. I was glad that Rory wasn't little miss perfect, though she's so far from perfect it was annoying. Did she do anything nice for anyone in the entire year beside babysit Paris's kids? She sure got selfish. 

I felt like Kirk was the Neville Longbottom of the show. Made fun of for years and comes through in the end with an important move (though a wedding and a horcrux aren't on even footing, but still- he came through). The wedding decor was gorgeous (even if an Alice theme doesn't make a lot of sense for a wedding). A Second Movie By Kirk was hilarious. 

Hated the musical. Loved Taylor's wifi password rant that "it's a DINER not your OFFICE." Loved that Emily called everything about the DAR bullshit. Loved that Michele told Sookie like it is- "you bitch!" for ditching him and Lorelai. Loved that Jess again became the voice of reason for Rory (remember how he told her off about dropping out of Yale?).

Furthermore, watching really old episodes now at the age of 33, I'm like, yeah I'd do Scott Patterson. Watching the revival it's like, crap, he aged. 

Was it flawed, sure. Do I care? No. I watched GG every week with my mom when it originally aired. I was invested in this show and still watch reruns on TV. I felt like the year in the life concept was appropriate- not everyone has a life that exists in neat little one week story arcs. Rory having a quarterlife (sorta) crisis, Lorelai feeling stuck in one place, everyone dealing with grief over a lost loved one-- that's real life. 

• Yes, @thisismynickname, that is how I feel about everything. Musical WAY too long, Rory is entitled (although wasn't she always?), the Emily story was the best (seriously her as the whaling museum docent was phenomenal), and I love that Luke and Lorelai were married (and that Kirk did a good job). 

I'm rewatching them, because of kids&dogs there were too many distractions the first time, and the second time is so much better (although the musical doesn't get any better). 

I loved it, and I don't want anymore episodes. 
  • arrippa said:
    Can we talk about how amazing pretty much all of them looked?  Like 9 years hadn't gone by?
    Did you read the story that when Edward Herrmann was in the hospital, his family invited Kelly Bishop to say "good bye". She the was only non-family member there. Edward used to refer to her as his second wife.
    that is adorable!!
  • Glad I wasn't the only one who thought the musical shouldn't have been in there - or maybe as long?

I literally LOL'd at the movie though, when Kirk was walking out of Lorelai's house and she's like "that's my house!" "that's me!"
    and Luke asked "How did you not notice that?"  - to me, that was old GG writing and what made the show so great. 

• Yes @scribe95, all of that!

Emily was the absolute best, and I LOVED her transformation at the end (working at the museum, calling out the DAR BS...). I never realized what an entitled brat Rory was and have since read several articles talking about how awful she is. Then when you look back....yeah, she really is. High school me was disappointed :( 
  • scribe95 said:
    I think the problem is I grew up and Rory didn't.
    or Rory didn't grow up the way we all expected she should have. Very immature for 32