Wedding Woes
Options

Honeymoon Timing

2»

Re: Honeymoon Timing

• Options
    After all sorts of back and forth, it turns out that his big quarterly board meeting is going to require him to fly out on the weekend that we would be getting back if we pushed the honeymoon back by a week.  So it seems that by necessity we will be leaving the day after the wedding so as to be home in time for that.  Now to spend the next several months watching for flight deals...

I highly recommend the Hopper app.  It's only an app, not a website, so I find that annoying.  But they have crazy good flight deals.

They also predict if the price for your flight will go up or down in the coming weeks/months.

If you want, you can set your dates/destinations as a "watch".  They will send a text message about once a week to let you know the current amount for your flight along with their updated prediction.

I'm a serious flight bargain shopper anyway, but it's rare I can find anything that beats their prices.  For example, I've found r/t flights between NOLA and LAX for $128.  And r/t NOLA to San Diego for $209.  Those flights usually start around $340 r/t.  You can't see the details until you go to book it.  But you do see the details before paying.

I will have to check that out.  I'm still trying to get the 4 of us to the UK for <$4000 and it's tough.  It's currently running about $6000 and I'm like :O
  • Options
    After all sorts of back and forth, it turns out that his big quarterly board meeting is going to require him to fly out on the weekend that we would be getting back if we pushed the honeymoon back by a week.  So it seems that by necessity we will be leaving the day after the wedding so as to be home in time for that.  Now to spend the next several months watching for flight deals...

I highly recommend the Hopper app.  It's only an app, not a website, so I find that annoying.  But they have crazy good flight deals.

They also predict if the price for your flight will go up or down in the coming weeks/months.

If you want, you can set your dates/destinations as a "watch".  They will send a text message about once a week to let you know the current amount for your flight along with their updated prediction.

I'm a serious flight bargain shopper anyway, but it's rare I can find anything that beats their prices.  For example, I've found r/t flights between NOLA and LAX for $128.  And r/t NOLA to San Diego for $209.  Those flights usually start around $340 r/t.  You can't see the details until you go to book it.  But you do see the details before paying.

This app sounds awesome!

But are these deals for typical, coach class seats or are you going to get stuck with those economy seats where you can't have a carry on at all, board last, and are stuck in the middle seats?

If it's anything greater than a 3 hour flight it's worth it to me to pay for normal seats so I can have the minimum coach accommodations, lol.  I'll even pay to pick my seats if it's going to be a long flight.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    Heffalump said:

I will have to check that out.  I'm still trying to get the 4 of us to the UK for <$4000 and it's tough.  It's currently running about $6000 and I'm like :O

I just checked.  It is showing r/t flights from NOLA to London for $900.  Though, of course, wherever you are flying out of the price might vary.

Big news for NOLA recently.  As of March 28th?, 2017, we will now have non-stop flights to London and Frankfurt through British Airways.  It's the first time since the 1980s that any plane out of our airport goes to Europe.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

This app sounds awesome!

But are these deals for typical, coach class seats or are you going to get stuck with those economy seats where you can't have a carry on at all, board last, and are stuck in the middle seats?

If it's anything greater than a 3 hour flight it's worth it to me to pay for normal seats so I can have the minimum coach accommodations, lol.  I'll even pay to pick my seats if it's going to be a long flight.

That's very possible for their absolute lowest fares.  Spirit Airlines is the low-price leader for some destinations.  They don't even give you a free drink on their flights.  But I think you can still have a carry-on.  I admit, I'm more about absolute lowest cost.

Oh!  I just played with the app more.  I take back the bolded.  There is a far tab to the right that lets you see exactly the airline, flight times, and price.

My $209 r/t flight from NOLA to San Diego that I am "watching" is through United.  Definitely free carry-ons.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Spirit is evil w/ their BS 'oh, it's weather, so we don't have to offer you anything for cancelling your flight' random cancellations for no reason.
    And I"m pretty sure they now charge even for carry ons.
    BUT....damn cheap for things that aren't life and death.
  • Options

This app sounds awesome!

That's very possible for their absolute lowest fares.  Spirit Airlines is the low-price leader for some destinations.  They don't even give you a free drink on their flights.  But I think you can still have a carry-on.  I admit, I'm more about absolute lowest cost.

Oh!  I just played with the app more.  I take back the bolded.  There is a far tab to the right that lets you see exactly the airline, flight times, and price.

My $209 r/t flight from NOLA to San Diego that I am "watching" is through United.  Definitely free carry-ons.

Not necessarily:
    https://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/travel/inflight/basic-economy.aspx

As long as the app allows you to see the specific airline and the exact fare type for that airline, sweet :-)

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options

This app sounds awesome!

Not necessarily:

As long as the app allows you to see the specific airline and the exact fare type for that airline, sweet :-)

Liars!!!!  I clicked through the app to United's "baggage policy" and it said they allowed carry-ons.

Thanks for the clarification.  I can see now that, in general...not just through the Hopper app, I need to double check rules.

I did not realize no carry-ons was now a "thing" with some airlines and not just the discount carriers.

Me at the airport check-in counter:  "Carry-on?  Whaaa?  Oh no, that's just my enormous purse."

(I do realize personal items need to fit under the seat)  

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

This app sounds awesome!

Not necessarily:

Liars!!!!  I clicked through the app to United's "baggage policy" and it said they allowed carry-ons.

Thanks for the clarification.  I can see now that, in general...not just through the Hopper app, I need to double check rules.

I did not realize no carry-ons was now a "thing" with some airlines and not just the discount carriers.

Me at the airport check-in counter:  "Carry-on?  Whaaa?  Oh no, that's just my enormous purse."

They do, just not for their super cheap seats any more. 

You also have to board last and you cannot choose your seat ahead of time- you can't even upgrade your fare type once you commit to buying their basic economy seats.  Oh and if you have a carry on because you forgot you booked the "steerage" seats and you have to gate check it, you will be charged a fee, whereas gate checking for everyone else is free once the overhead bin space runs out.

This is all in an effort to compete with the cheapie airlines, such as Spirit.

Delta already has these types of fares and American and United will roll theirs out in 2017:
    http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2016/11/15/united-airlines-basic-economy/

So starting in January next year, to be able to have a carry on and a seat assignment prior to checking in and boarding-something that used to be included in all the economy fare prices- you will now have to pay extra for that "luxury."

• Options

This app sounds awesome!

Not necessarily:

You also have to board last and you cannot choose your seat ahead of time- you can't even upgrade your fare type once you commit to buying their basic economy seats.  Oh and if you have a carry on because you forgot you booked the "steerage" seats and you have to gate check it, you will be charged a fee, whereas gate checking for everyone else is free once the overhead bin space runs out.

Delta already has these types of fares and American and United will roll theirs out in 2017:
    http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2016/11/15/united-airlines-basic-economy/

So starting in January next year, to be able to have a carry on and a seat assignment prior to checking in and boarding-something that used to be included in all the economy fare prices- you will now have to pay extra for that "luxury."

Wow, the push to no carry on bags is a blow to morale.  Thanks for the link.  First, they take away free checked bags.  Now no free carry ons.

My solution is to only visit exotic, beach locations, lol.  I can fit a bathing suit, sundress, a couple tee-shirts, and some toiletries in a tote-bag purse.  That's all I need!

Or use those vacuum storage bags for the way out and then ship my clothes back home.  Cheaper than $50-$70 r/t for a suitcase.  I got married OOT and actually did that with my wedding dress. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

This app sounds awesome!

Not necessarily:

Wow, the push to no carry on bags is a blow to morale.  Thanks for the link.  First, they take away free checked bags.  Now no free carry ons.

My solution is to only visit exotic, beach locations, lol.  I can fit a bathing suit, sundress, a couple tee-shirts, and some toiletries in a tote-bag purse.  That's all I need!

Or use those vacuum storage bags for the way out and then ship my clothes back home.  Cheaper than $50-$70 r/t for a suitcase.  I got married OOT and actually did that with my wedding dress. 

Or just don't buy the Basic Economy class seats.  A few bloggers found that with Delta, they were only saving around $12 per flight by booking BE seats.  If you are already paying a few hundred for roundtrip flights, what's another $12 or $24 or even $50 for free carry ons, free gate check, and pre check in seat assignments?