Chit Chat

Hello!!! And a wedding vent .... Another update

edited December 2016 in Chit Chat
I almost forgot how to log in to this thing!  Hey for those of you who remember me... it's been a while!  I started a new job as a high school teacher (hence the new sig gif).  It's crazy hard, but I'm enjoying it.  AND I get to work with @monkeysip !

I'm off this week THANK GOD, so I'm about to drop off my car to get an oil change and then go to a cafe with yummy drinks.  Because #daydrinking.  

So, here's my wedding vent.  My husband has never really been that close to his dad's side of the family.  One of his cousins is getting married on FRIDAY, DECEMBER 23.  H & I have a system where we spend Thanksgiving with one of our families and Christmas with the other.  This year, it's our turn to spend Thanksgiving with his family & Christmas with mine (who live 3.5 hours away).  I think I met this cousin at our wedding in 2013, but I couldn't pick him out of a lineup.  DH hasn't seen him since his brother's wedding in 2014.  But it apparently means a lot for him to go.  So, okay, fine.  We'll go and drive up to my parents' on Christmas Eve morning.  Which is okay, but my sister & her family (including my precious 18 month old nephew) will be there on the 23rd and I don't get much time with them (they live 4 hours away from us).

It's November 21 and we still haven't received an invite to this wedding.  I get a text from H's SIL yesterday (his brother's wife)
"Big oops guys.  Did you not get invitation to [cousin] and [FI's] wedding?  We're going over some details and no record of passing your address to her"
Me:  "We did not"
Her:  "Okay that's no bueno - is it on your calendar - I hope so!  She's not nearly as organized as you were."
H:  "Yes, but please see if we can get an invite for the info."

I know I'm supposed to be a good wife and shit, but COME ON.  The Friday of Christmas weekend and the wedding is an hour away from us out in the country (I only found this out by googling their wedding website).  It's at 7:00 pm and the attire is semi formal.

So, how are y'all?

Re: Hello!!! And a wedding vent .... Another update

• Welcome back, love the new sig! How's teaching going? 

I'd be all, "well how can we know if we'll be able to attend if we have no information about the event?"
  • Welcome back! Love the movie your sig is from lol

Urg I wouldn't go though. At least there's acknowledgement for disorganization but I would just be like "we're out of town for Christmas, so we can't go" personally. Especially because your side of family is 3.5 hrs away!
  • Welcome back! And stay cozy indoors with some cocoa and frangelico the night of that wedding. 

I'd be all, "well how can we know if we'll be able to attend if we have no information about the event?"
    Teaching is good.   Hard, but good.   I've always loved math, so it's good for me.   I'm just relearning things from 20+ years ago and figuring out how to explain it.   It's a small private school, so the behavior problems aren't what whey could be in public school.  After years of consulting on virtual projects with teams based in India until midnight, it's great to have coworkers on the same continent soaking the same language !  I'm still trying to figure out how to effectively control a room of 20 16 year olds who hate geometry.   But I'm thankful. 

$10 says we never hear from the bride / groom leading up to the wedding.   H's SIL is the social planner for his family, so I expect to get am earful at Thanksgiving about it and about how bummed she was that I missed the shower  (yes, I was invited to this woman's bridal shower).
  • LOL I'm DYING to write that on someone's paper!

For H and I, it'd be an easy "no" because H couldn't care less about most weddings, lol.  But I guess if your husband really wants to go, then I'd go.  But yeah... that's super annoying.

SaveSave
  • monkeysip said:
    LOL I'm DYING to write that on someone's paper!

For H and I, it'd be an easy "no" because H couldn't care less about most weddings, lol.  But I guess if your husband really wants to go, then I'd go.  But yeah... that's super annoying.
    @monkeysip, I need to text you the project turned in by one of our mutual students.  I wanted to write that on her rubric !
  • edited November 2016

Hey, guac! I'm happy to see you back on here! Glad to hear you're enjoying your new teaching gig.

That wedding sounds like a train wreck waiting to happen. Just watch, the bride will suddenly be on here on December 24th all "I'm soooo disappointed that nobody came to my day! I mean, I did send out invites a *little* late, and my wedding might have been right before the holidays. But I'm speshul dammit and everyone needs to drop everything for me!" LOL :D

etf spelling

• Welcome back! Yeah, I'd want to decline especially since the info isn't forthcoming from the couple. Is H digging in his heels about going? If so, I'd go with him but he would owe me!
  • Ironically, I was just thinking about you and wondering how teaching was going.  FI says the first year is the worst, and it gets better from there so you'll figure out the classroom management thing with practice!

That is super annoying, but admittedly, in my family I would suck it up and go away.  

And then when you do get your family's Christmas hog that baby!
  • Good to hear from you!

Me personally, I'd tell H he can go to the wedding if he wants, but I won't be joining.  Though I could see where that would be a pain for you all to drive separately for such a long trip.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Welcome back!  Count me with others on Team NoGo!  Can you use work as an excuse?  Some of our HS's are holding classes up to AND including December 23rd!  I guess the upswing is that you will have a (hopefully) long break after all the Christmas festivities.  This break will actually be relaxing since so much of it will be AFTER all the chaos!
  • Thanks, @MobKaz

We're done on the 16th and go back on the 3rd.  H & I are taking a mini-vacay to San Antonio Dec 18-21, coming back to Houston (he has to work on the 22 & 23rd), going to the wedding, then going to my parents' NW of Austin on Christmas Eve.  I really want to take my own car to SA and go directly from their to my parents (90 minute drive) and just wait for DH.

I'm getting inspired by Charlotte York from SATC ... she seduced Harry and tricked him during sex into saying that she didn't have to be Jewish.  He should be home in a few minutes .... lemme get lingerie and vodka and see how that works ;)
  • ::waves hi::

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Hi! The first year is tough but glad you're enjoying :)

I'd go to the wedding, if it was that important to my H, but not without actually receiving an invitation.  When on earth is the RSVP date if it's four weeks out and some guests haven't even been invited?? 
  • Welcome back!   Glad to hear that teaching is going well so far

Teaching is good.   Hard, but good.   I've always loved math, so it's good for me.   I'm just relearning things from 20+ years ago and figuring out how to explain it.   It's a small private school, so the behavior problems aren't what whey could be in public school.  After years of consulting on virtual projects with teams based in India until midnight, it's great to have coworkers on the same continent soaking the same language !  I'm still trying to figure out how to effectively control a room of 20 16 year olds who hate geometry.   But I'm thankful. 

$10 says we never hear from the bride / groom leading up to the wedding.   H's SIL is the social planner for his family, so I expect to get am earful at Thanksgiving about it and about how bummed she was that I missed the shower  (yes, I was invited to this woman's bridal shower).
    The first semester is the worst. I had a colleague that told me once, you're not supposed to be a great teacher the first year, or even the second, you're supposed to get better as you go along. I like he hope he is right. 
  • Welcome back! I'm glad there are people that want to teach. I could never control a classroom of 16 year olds!

I wouldn't go. Lack of planning on their part = lack of attendance.

• I wouldn't go! Go cuddle that baby and let your husband enjoy this very important clearly not important wedding himself. 
    This.  Is this an option?  DH wants to go- off you go, DH!  I'll be at my parent's house, see you later!!!

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Going in separate cars to separate places is an option.  But I'm going to suck it up and go with him.  My husband has done so much for me and has done things with my family when I know he'd rather do something else.  So, I know this means a lot to him (why, I'll never fully know) and I'll let him handle the logistics and stuff and I'll be his graceful date.  

Thanks for the commiseration!  
  • edited December 2016
    Interesting update ... 
    We still have heard nothing from the bride or groom, but DH's SIL is POSITIVE that we are invited and thinks it's silly that I'd even think twice.  

DH and I were talking about logistics for next week.  He mentions that he has to work on the 23rd (the day of the wedding).  NBD since he works half days on Friday... except next Friday, they need him all day at his project site.  In Galveston.

So, he is going to be working all day in Galveston, driving home to shower and change, then drive to the wedding.   Here's a map to give you an idea of the distance involved ... (the blue dot is the area where we live).  On the Friday of Christmas weekend .....

• Grrrreeeeeeaaaaattttt.......
  • Yup. I see no problems with that plan whatsoever. None at all. 
  • What can possibly go wrong?
  • Houston traffic won't be an issue right?