Honeymoon Discussions

Spring in the US - short trip

We're getting married early April and are thinking of taking just a short-ish trip (maybe 4 days to a week) after the wedding, and saving up for a bigger first anniversary trip. My sister is getting married out of the country a couple months after us, so we can't justify both!

We live in NC, and I know the weather here and south of us is pretty decent in the spring. Any other suggestions for US based trips? I was tossing around New England or the PNW, but I don't really know what the weather is like there. I *think* I'd prefer to drive vs fly but FI doesn't have a real strong preference.

Re: Spring in the US - short trip

• Early April can still be chilly in the NE and we've seen snow during that time. 

What about New Orleans? Or the Florida Keys? Austin, TX. Sedona, AZ. Vegas? (not my thing, but people love it). 

Is there anything in particular you'd like to do? 
  • What do you like to do? Where do you like to stay? PNW is a long flight if youre only doing 4 days.

Since you're saving up for a big trip later you could do a couple days in DC/Baltimore and catch a show, explore monuments, museums for 2 days and then drive over the Chesapeake bay and check out Easton or St. Michales in Maryland- they are cute quaint little towns next to each other with little shops and restaurants.

• Honestly I haven't even thought about what we'd DO lol. Work has been bananas and things will be a little hectic until close to the wedding so I think we'll be happy to just not be at home and working!

I was feeling the PNW was a tad far for a quick trip, but I love the idea of the Keys! FI doesn't drink so NOLA and Vegas are probably out, but the Gulf Coast may be fun as well.
  • Honestly I haven't even thought about what we'd DO lol. Work has been bananas and things will be a little hectic until close to the wedding so I think we'll be happy to just not be at home and working!

I was feeling the PNW was a tad far for a quick trip, but I love the idea of the Keys! FI doesn't drink so NOLA and Vegas are probably out, but the Gulf Coast may be fun as well.
    I wouldn't necessarily rule out NOLA just because your FI doesn't drink.  If he is in the "every day is a struggle to stay sober" camp then it probably isn't the best choice, but otherwise I think you would still find plenty of things to enjoy there.  My parents had an absolute blast on a recent trip and I'm pretty sure they didn't drink a drop while they were there.  (Neither of them are quite "non-drinkers," but you could count on one hand the total number of alcoholic beverages they drink in a year.)  They went on a swamp tour, visited the place where they make the intricate parade floats (they said this was AMAZING), saw a jazz show, did something to do with voodoo, and I know there are other things I am forgetting.

With that said, since you don't have strong opinions about where to go and budget is a big issue, why not let "fate" (AKA the airlines) decide?  Go to GoogleFlights, enter in your dates, and click on the "explore map" option. Adjust the cost slider to the range you are looking to stay within and see what pops up and which of those options sound most appealing.  That's my favorite way to plan trips because it opens you up to new possibilities you may not have considered otherwise, and of course it keeps costs in check.

I wouldn't necessarily rule out NOLA just because your FI doesn't drink.  If he is in the "every day is a struggle to stay sober" camp then it probably isn't the best choice, but otherwise I think you would still find plenty of things to enjoy there.  My parents had an absolute blast on a recent trip and I'm pretty sure they didn't drink a drop while they were there.  (Neither of them are quite "non-drinkers," but you could count on one hand the total number of alcoholic beverages they drink in a year.)  They went on a swamp tour, visited the place where they make the intricate parade floats (they said this was AMAZING), saw a jazz show, did something to do with voodoo, and I know there are other things I am forgetting.

With that said, since you don't have strong opinions about where to go and budget is a big issue, why not let "fate" (AKA the airlines) decide?  Go to GoogleFlights, enter in your dates, and click on the "explore map" option. Adjust the cost slider to the range you are looking to stay within and see what pops up and which of those options sound most appealing.  That's my favorite way to plan trips because it opens you up to new possibilities you may not have considered otherwise, and of course it keeps costs in check.
    I have never heard of doing that before, that is fantastic. Thanks!

-snip-

That's a great idea...I didn't know GoogleFlights had that feature!

(And FI is a recovering alcoholic so he tries to avoid vacations to places based on "excess," which makes me think NOLA would be out, given my previous experiences there lol)
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2016
    Do you like historical places?  Museums?  Try Washington, DC.  You can visit Mount Vernon, see all the monuments, stroll through the Smithsonian.  There are lots of fine restaurants, and the Metro (subway) system is great!  Just don't try to drive in DC if you aren't used to heavy city traffic.  There are long term parking lots at the Metro stations where you can park your empty car and take the train to your hotel. (Don't even THINK about leaving your stuff in an unguarded vehicle!)  Washington area people are used to tourists, and most are helpful.  Watch your purse and wallet when on the street.

PS.  The Metro does not go to Georgetown, where a lot of night life happens.  You'll want to take a taxi.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • lovesclimbinglovesclimbing member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2016
    I third D.C. It is an amazing place. I was there for a short visit when I was in high school and I so want to go back with H. So many great museums and monuments. So much history! It's pretty awesome. 

ETA: Bonus for the budget: so much stuff is free! All the monuments and the Smithsonians are and there are often free concerts and small shows going on. 
  • I love DC and I've been dying to go back...that might be great for a shorter trip! 
  • Washington DC is great, and it's definitely worthwhile to get out to Mount Vernon during your visit. If you go, make sure to bring comfortable shoes, because it is definitely a walking city; you will often even have a long walk from the Metro to wherever it is you want to go.

Just be aware that a lot of the hotels in the area are very expensive, so you may want to consider staying in a quieter neighborhood or even just outside DC (preferably in an area with at least one Metro line). 
  • Disney!
    I have some irrational hatred of Disney...maybe borne out of jealousy that our parents never took us there as kids? LOL
  • Disney!
    I have some irrational hatred of Disney...maybe borne out of jealousy that our parents never took us there as kids? LOL

I really enjoyed going to Disney but it is far from a budget friendly trip.  Park passes are $100 a day and parking a car is $20...each "snack" is like $8-10 per item and meals are easily $20 per person (cheaper end).  The only plus is that lodging can be had pretty cheap in that area.   
  • D.C., New York, Boston ...