Wedding Etiquette Forum

Potluck-Style Nacho Bar

I really love to eat, Nachos especially, and I wanted to share that love with my guests on our special day. I was thinking about creating a Deluxe Nacho bar complete with a cheese fountain. We are a little strapped for cash (you guys know how it is) so I thought about including in the invitations to ask guests to bring something to add to the table ex. chips, meat, guacamole, those little fancy olives. I really want this to be something special that everyone feels they have a part in, so what better way than to ask guests to bring favorite additions?! Does anyone have any experience with this 'potluck style' setup? If so, advice would be greatly appreciated!

P.S. Also would like a guest to rent the cheese fountain for the venue because the one I have broke unexpectedly when I tried to fill it with ketchup for the french fry bar that I did for our Saint Patrick's Day party last year. Any good recommendations on a good rental place?

Re: Potluck-Style Nacho Bar

• You cannot ask people to host your wedding. You have a few options: Maybe delay 6 months to save up more. Or else cut your guest list. Cut down to only cake and a non-meal time. 

Alrhough if crisps and dip are going to break your budget, you need to do some reevaluating! 

What at you cannot do is say 'Come to my wedding, PS you need to rent a cheese fountain'. 
  • Yeah, MUD.  Not even going to bother responding.

And I'm a little pissed off because I'm trying to have a good eating week and now I want nachos  :p
  • I really love to eat, Nachos especially, and I wanted to share that love with my guests on our special day. I was thinking about creating a Deluxe Nacho bar complete with a cheese fountain. We are a little strapped for cash (you guys know how it is) so I thought about including in the invitations to ask guests to bring something to add to the table ex. chips, meat, guacamole, those little fancy olives. I really want this to be something special that everyone feels they have a part in, so what better way than to ask guests to bring favorite additions?! Does anyone have any experience with this 'potluck style' setup? If so, advice would be greatly appreciated!

P.S. Also would like a guest to rent the cheese fountain for the venue because the one I have broke unexpectedly when I tried to fill it with ketchup for the french fry bar that I did for our Saint Patrick's Day party last year. Any good recommendations on a good rental place?
    I would have been willing to believe this was a real post until this part.
    Which part got to you - asking a guest to rent a cheese fountain or having a french fry bar at a Saint Patrick's Day party?
    It was the ketchup in a cheese fountain, actually. At least partly because I assume such a fountain, like a chocolate one, would be intended to keep the contents heated so they would flow. Who the hell eats warm ketchup?
  • MobKaz said:
    missfrodo said:
    Hahaha, if your guests don't want to 'chip' in it's nacho problem.
    You win my vote for Post of the Day.  
    Just the day?!  I laughed so hard I had to calm down just to tell H what I was laughing at!
    You said, "H".  Automatic bingo for you tonight, Mrs.  Congratulations :-D
    I typed FI and then had to go back LOL.
  • MCmeowMCmeow member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2016
    This has to be fake. Super creative though A+++
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I can't imagine that smelling warm ketchup is good while also drinking. 
  • banana468 said:
    I'm so mad I've never been to a party with a ketchup fountain. 
    Because nothing quite says "luck o the Irish" like a fountain that looks like it's spewing hot blood.  
    Oh god. I didn't even think of this. My first thought was "yes ketchup is delicious!" not "and it also looks like blood." You are 100% right, that would be terrifying.
  • Am I the only one who has been craving nachos ever since first reading this post?
    I'm actually craving french fries since reading this post. 
  • banana468 said:
    I'm so mad I've never been to a party with a ketchup fountain. 
    Because nothing quite says "luck o the Irish" like a fountain that looks like it's spewing hot blood.  
    Oh god. I didn't even think of this. My first thought was "yes ketchup is delicious!" not "and it also looks like blood." You are 100% right, that would be terrifying.
    It's an image that reminds me of a horror movie.  Granted the red shades are off but really - does anyone want to see a fountain of hot red fluid??    And no fountain keeps the fluid contained.   So then a walk to the fountain looks like......a CSI scene. 
  • Am I the only one who has been craving nachos ever since first reading this post?
    With real cheese?   Yes!