Wedding Party

What do you think about having bridesmaids in different colors?

Our wedding colors are pink and green with yellow accents.  We're doing mostly pastels.  I have three bridesmaids, so I like the idea of having everyone in the same dress (or at least similar dresses) but in different pastel colors.  So one would be pink, one green, and one yellow.  The groomsmen would be in grey suits, and the groomswoman would be in a grey dress.  We'd probably have the groomsmen have either a tie or pocket square with the different colors as well.

Re: What do you think about having bridesmaids in different colors?

• Image result for multi colored wedding party
    This is the look I'm going for.
  • My sister in law did this for her wedding. I think we looked pretty good. It was good because she let us work out what color we preferred. 

• Awesome!  I love the colors!
  • I'm very pro-BM's not matching...more so that they can wear different dress styles (depending on their body type), but different colors are fine too.  The photo you included is a very pretty color combo. 
  • I totally agree with that.  I'm completely open to having different styles as well as long as the fabric is the same because I want them to be comfortable.  I'm leaving most of the decisions up to them.
  • Those are lovely colours :)

You'll notice a lot of people here are for the idea of non-matching.
  • Thank you  :)  The orange dress in the picture would be green, but it would be very similar otherwise.  I don't want it to look too prom-ish, so I'm trying to decide how much color accents I want to add to the groomsmen.  I want them to have some color too, but I don't want them to look like prom couples.
  • Thank you  :)  The orange dress in the picture would be green, but it would be very similar otherwise.  I don't want it to look too prom-ish, so I'm trying to decide how much color accents I want to add to the groomsmen.  I want them to have some color too, but I don't want them to look like prom couples.
    Are these people actual couples? If not I wouldn't try and match them up. You don't need pictures of them together, so there isn't a reason to have them matched up.

If you're having boutonnières you can have some color there, but otherwise I'd just go with a standard suit color. 
  • That makes sense.  Would having one groomsman wear a pink boutonniere, one with a green boutonniere, and one with yellow be too much?
  • That makes sense.  Would having one groomsman wear a pink boutonniere, one with a green boutonniere, and one with yellow be too much?
    I guess not, I just think you're making this more complicated than it needs to be. What color flowers will you have? And what colors will the BMs carry? I'd just match the boutonnières to those flowers. I think having each GM wear a different color bout to match the BMs doesn't hurt anything but seems a little unnecessary. 
  • They'll definitely all be wearing grey suits / a grey dress, but I wanted to add a pop of color somewhere so that it's not colorful on one side and monochromatic on the other.
  • The BMs will carry bouquets that have all three colors in them, so maybe I could do the same for the GM's boutonnieres.
    I think having all GM wear the same bout is going to be easiest.  Depending on the flowers you use, it may cost less, too, as opposed to needing a custom bout for each man.  That way, you can also order an extra in case one gets smushed/falls off and someone steps on it/etc.  Then the groomswoman could have a wrist corsage that's similar.
  • I think it's fine, as long as you are flexible. My only concern would be what if there is one of the colours you'd like that none of your bridesmaids would look good in? (yellow can be hard to pull off on some skin tones). Are you will to chose another colour to make it work, or let 2 wear the same colour? Or same colour different shades?

Originally I was going to say, sure, mix up the colours with the GM too, but after it was pointed out, I agree, I think it would look too prom-y if you matched the BMs and GM.
  • Yea, I agree with charlotte. They aren't going to prom together. 

I like the different pastels look. Your inspiration photo is really pretty. 

The best way to go about this is to ask everyone's budget first, PRIVATELY. Also ask if there are any non-starters...like some people are not ok with strapless or uber short...whatever. Go with the lowest budget as a max and start looking for a brand and style that works for your vision.

David's has relatively inexpensive dresses that come in a huge range of colors and fabrics. Like THIS ONE that's $70. Leave room in the budget for alterations if you go with Davids, though.... Ann Taylor/JCrew are higher end but will likely have what you're looking for if you shop their spring/summer collections. Like THIS ONE from JCrew that's $149 (on sale right now). 

Once you find the dress, send them the link and ask them to order it in whatever color they're assigned. 
    *********************************************************************************

• SP29 said:
    I think it's fine, as long as you are flexible. My only concern would be what if there is one of the colours you'd like that none of your bridesmaids would look good in? (yellow can be hard to pull off on some skin tones). Are you will to chose another colour to make it work, or let 2 wear the same colour? Or same colour different shades?

Originally I was going to say, sure, mix up the colours with the GM too, but after it was pointed out, I agree, I think it would look too prom-y if you matched the BMs and GM.
    Yellow is super hard! FYI those with olive skin tones can pull it off, but not all.
  • SP29 said:
    I think it's fine, as long as you are flexible. My only concern would be what if there is one of the colours you'd like that none of your bridesmaids would look good in? (yellow can be hard to pull off on some skin tones). Are you will to chose another colour to make it work, or let 2 wear the same colour? Or same colour different shades?

Yellow is super hard! FYI those with olive skin tones can pull it off, but not all.
    Yep, I'm very fair and just can't do yellow.at.all.
  • SP29 said:

I couldn't either.. I'm wearing the pink dress above, yellow would have been terrible on me. Pastels are hard. 
  • SP29 said:

I couldn't either.. I'm wearing the pink dress above, yellow would have been terrible on me. Pastels are hard. 
    Same. A friend of mine is talking at fall wedding, I told her I'd wear the golden-yellow dress if she wants but to be prepped for me to look terrible :')
    her words: nah, you're not wearing yellow. you can't do it
  • I love the pastel color scheme: It will look adorable whether or not the styles are the same! I second being super careful about the yellows: especially if buying online (the colors can look completely different in person)
  • downtondivadowntondiva member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2016
    I think this would look really nice. Just make sure each of the bridesmaids is comfortable in whatever color she ends up wearing. While others have mentioned yellow being an issue, I can tell you not everyone looks good in pink either - I certainly don't! 
  • I like the look of a mixed wedding party, so I am game for something like this.  I think giving a fabric and general length (short vs long) is the best approach for comfort.  I would also agree that you need to make sure each BM is comfortable wearing the color you want. 

I can pull off some pinks, and no yellows are passable on me...when it comes to pastels, I would probably only want the green dress!

An alternative is to go all shades of a single color (green is probably the best option here), or to have a matching dress color with monochrome bouquets in each color.  Your original plan is okay (assuming its all in budget), but if you are having trouble finding someone to wear yellow, or they all want to wear green this is an option to consider.

• Another suggestion: would you consider changing the color scheme a little bit if nobody is okay with wearing one of the colors you've picked out? As in, if nobody wanted to wear yellow, would you let them do a pale purple or blue instead? This would still look really pretty, and I think those colors are more universally flattering. Just something to think about if you run into any issues.
  • I think pink, yellow, and green is plenty of variety to offer.
  • I think pink, yellow, and green is plenty of variety to offer.
    I agree- as long as each BM gets to pick which color she wants, and isn't assigned one. With my alabaster pale skin, if I had to wear yellow when another BM got pink, I'd be more bummed than if we were all just in yellow.  Like will the BM have a choice or is it the illusion of a choice?  What if 5 BM want green and 1 wants pink?  OP- I don't mean to make assumptions, just food for thought.