Wedding Etiquette Forum

Kids

2»

Re: Kids

• Yes, I'm aware of that type of information as well. Should we go with this venue, maybe I can make a fun announcement like "Wash poop off your hands so you don't get food poisoning and die." but we will see. I'll have to see if I can find any e coli related poems to include in our invites.

They just started doing weddings and I haven't heard any complaints from the people that have had weddings there this past year.

or maybe we CAN spring for favors and get everyone a tiny bottle of hand sanitizer  :D

It is something to note, and I have done just that.
  • Hand sanitizer needs to be at least 60% ethanol to kill bacteria.  In the lab we clean with at least 70%.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Hand sanitizer also doesn't necessarily remove the dirt and grime. I hate the stuff! Good old soap and water is the best but know that might not be an option.

• So your budget is $15,000 not 150 people. You could easily invite all these people if you had a more casual wedding, a brunch wedding, BBQ wedding, dessert wedding etc. Cut your service not the people. If you originally had 190 people, you could easily host them for 15,000. Maybe not for a multicourse sit down meal but definitely for a lovely affair. 

Plan your wedding with your budget, not by person. 
    This is where I'm at. I'm the one with the large family plus my large family is relatively close by where H's is much farther away. I would have been very hurt if we had had to split the guest list 50/50 and I couldn't invite family I am close to. 

I get that not everyone feels the same way, but for me, having everyone I want there is more important than the level of hosting and quality of venue (obviously, within reason. The hosting still needs to be appropriate to the time of day). 

We had a cake and punch reception in the hall of the church that we got married in. But we got to invite all the family and friends we wanted to. 

Is there anything you can cut to get the price per person lower?
    We have to make cuts in the venue and caterer it looks like, those are our big expenses. So we did find a venue recently we were able to negotiate with a little bit, and they work well with a caterer who does BBQ and can also be flexible price wise as well, so we MAY be able to add to our guest list. The other issue we have run into is that the larger venues that can accommodate 150+ people are out of our price range. This current venue can fit that many people, but I don't want people to be squashed in there like sardines. SO although our budget is $15000, we are doing the back and forth of "This fits us all but we cant afford it" and "This doesnt fit us but we can afford it." We have also looked into a tented wedding, but the few places we have found (besides my back yard) charge a low venue rental of maybe $2-3000, but then you have to rent the huge tent at between $7-10000. Then that eats into our catering budget. With everyone coming from out of our area, I would like to at least have a meal.

@SP29 Luckily most of the people with the children are mutual friends of FI and I. We are inviting all of his immediate relatives children (his brothers have none, but he does have two step siblings) it was more the cousins children that I was unsure on. His family is "older" than mine, only my oldest sister has a child and all of my cousins are younger than us by 8+ years. So it seems like I'm excluding the children from his family when, if there were children of immediate family they would be invited. 
    Then I really don't think you need to invite children of cousins. I think of that as a whole separate circle (getting into second cousins).
  • Hand sanitizer needs to be at least 60% ethanol to kill bacteria.  In the lab we clean with at least 70%.

Yeah, E. coli pretty much shrugs off commercially available hand sanitizers.  Great for viruses; for many bacteria, not so much.
  • I was sort of kidding about the hand sanitizer, I personally never bother to even use it because as you guys noted it really doesn't do much good. I'll be sure all precautions are taken. I talked to FI last night about cutting the cousins kids off the guest list, which would be a total of 7 people. At the moment with his must haves and mine, we are under 150 so that's better than I thought. When he adds on his I want these people there too it bounces up to 170, including all kids.
  • Yes, I'm aware of that type of information as well. Should we go with this venue, maybe I can make a fun announcement like "Wash poop off your hands so you don't get food poisoning and die." but we will see. I'll have to see if I can find any e coli related poems to include in our invites.

They just started doing weddings and I haven't heard any complaints from the people that have had weddings there this past year.

or maybe we CAN spring for favors and get everyone a tiny bottle of hand sanitizer  :D

The bolded made me laugh out loud.  "Come to pet the animals, stay for the food poisoning."  Hmm...that one doesn't quite work either.

On a serious note, you may be in a region of the country that is more expensive than mine, but we found an awesome restaurant with a big private event space in the back and we are using that as our wedding and reception site.  They only charge $600 to use the space because it is not a "wedding" venue.  We were frustrated like you that most spaces were at least $2,000 to rent but this space allows us to use most of our budget on food and drinks and not on the rental space.  

• Ro041 said:
    Yes, I'm aware of that type of information as well. Should we go with this venue, maybe I can make a fun announcement like "Wash poop off your hands so you don't get food poisoning and die." but we will see. I'll have to see if I can find any e coli related poems to include in our invites.

The bolded made me laugh out loud.  "Come to pet the animals, stay for the food poisoning."  Hmm...that one doesn't quite work either.

On a serious note, you may be in a region of the country that is more expensive than mine, but we found an awesome restaurant with a big private event space in the back and we are using that as our wedding and reception site.  They only charge $600 to use the space because it is not a "wedding" venue.  We were frustrated like you that most spaces were at least $2,000 to rent but this space allows us to use most of our budget on food and drinks and not on the rental space.  
    I'm in NoVA, definitely expensive compared to some places. Most of the places I've found that have charged a small venue fee made up for it in their own catering prices. I very much like the petting farm, it suits me and although I've looked at a lot of golf clubs and actual "wedding" venues, they make me feel uncomfortable and weird. It's hard to describe. I've always been happiest with a couple animals around :)
  • Ro041 said:
    THIS.  I immediately vetoed all "wedding" venues - we are having too small of a wedding and it wasn't really us.  We are going with a really funky restaurant with AMAZING food that has a private dining room.  These are super popular in cities and actually quite common in the suburbs as well.
  • KnotYetTiedKnotYetTied member
    Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited January 2017
    Yes, I'm aware of that type of information as well. Should we go with this venue, maybe I can make a fun announcement like "Wash poop off your hands so you don't get food poisoning and die." but we will see. I'll have to see if I can find any e coli related poems to include in our invites.

I found a poem for you! You might want to edit out the drunkenness for the children. You could change the last line to read, "For the bride's dodgy choice of venue."

E-Coli
    When I think upon my life
    I think of sickness and of strife
    Of troubles bourne, of illness beat
    As I struggle to my feet
    For today I don't feel well
    My body is in total hell
    From head to foot, I'm racked with pain
    I think I may be sick again
    And I was thinking by the by
    of Escherichia Coli
    A bug that sits within your tum
    And exits fiercely from your bum,
    A bug so strong, it makes you weak,
    Ejecting all you like to eat
    I think that I may have it now
    As I recoil that chicken chow
    Mein, that I did eat last night
    I thought that Chinese looked alright
    But viewing through my drunken eyes
    May have blurred my shape insight
    And now in hindsight, I do see
    What foolishness has done for me.
    You must excuse me if I'm short
    I'm feeling rather out of sorts
    I feel the need to be alone
    Just me and toilet (handles chrome)
    To suffer in this present mood
    For my dodgy taste in food
    by Themis
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

I found a poem for you! You might want to edit out the drunkenness for the children. You could change the last line to read, "For the bride's dodgy choice of venue."

E-Coli
    As I struggle to my feet
    My body is in total hell
    of Escherichia Coli
    by Themis
    That's perfect! I'll have to find a way to change the chinese food to BBQ or whatever we have. I can print that out on my little bottle of hand soap ;)

E-Coli
    As I struggle to my feet
    My body is in total hell
    of Escherichia Coli
    by Themis
    That's perfect! I'll have to find a way to change the chinese food to BBQ or whatever we have. I can print that out on my little bottle of hand soap ;)
    Make sure you use at least 5 different fonts that don't relate to each other in any way. ;-)