Wedding Etiquette Forum

Gift Ideas (Parents, Flower Girls, Ring Bearer)

BishLBishL member
5 Love Its First Comment
edited December 2016 in Wedding Etiquette Forum
Does anyone have any ideas on what to get parents as a wedding gift/thank you? We have three sets of parents to buy for and I'm struggling with gift ideas! I also don't know what to get our flower girls and ring bearer. Is it still appropriate to give them a gift during the rehearsal? 

Re: Gift Ideas (Parents, Flower Girls, Ring Bearer)

• BishL said:
    Does anyone have any ideas on what to get parents as a wedding gift/thank you? We have three sets of parents to buy for and I'm struggling with gift ideas! I also don't know what to get our flower girls and ring bearer. Is it still appropriate to give them a gift during the rehearsal? 
    We didn't do parent gifts, but wrote letters/cards thanking them. 

For FG (she was 7 at the time) we bought her a locket and a small toy she was in to. For the RB (4 yo) we bought him a Captain American mask and cape and Hulk hands he really wanted. He wore the Captain America suit all during dessert and fell asleep in it that night. I almost thought he'd wear it down the aisle. 
  • We gave our parents Shutterfly albums from the wedding.  I would ask the FG/RB's parents what they're into and shop accordingly.  When I was a FG in my aunt's wedding long ago, she gave me a gold bracelet, which was beautiful but I was always too afraid to wear it because it looked expensive and I had a tendency to lose jewelry.  
  • Make sure you get your RB and FG something they will actually like. Ask their parents what they are currently into as opposed to giving them "a keepsake they will cherish." Hopefully you are doing the same for your bridesmaids and groomsmen. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Before you get your flower girl and ring bearer anything, I'd tall to their parents to find out not only what the kids would like but if it's okay with the parents for them to have those things. You never know-there may be things that their parents won't allow them to have for whatever reason, but it's something you need to respect.
  • AddieCake said:
    Make sure you get your RB and FG something they will actually like. Ask their parents what they are currently into as opposed to giving them "a keepsake they will cherish." Hopefully you are doing the same for your bridesmaids and groomsmen. 
    I have never cherished a keepsake that someone gave me specifically as a keepsake to cherish. As a child or an adult. They make for crappy gifts, if you subscribe to the belief that the purpose of giving a gift is to give something the receiver actually wants. So this is excellent advice.
  • DH and I found picture frames that held three pictures. We filled two of the spaces with some of our engagement pictures, and then wrote letters to our respective parents to fill the third photo space. Both of our moms cried.

We didn't have a flower girl and we didn't get our ring bearer anything. Whoops. It was one of the things that got buried in the planning, but as he was just shy of a year old at the wedding, he didn't seem to heartbroken. :)
  • AddieCake said:
    Make sure you get your RB and FG something they will actually like. Ask their parents what they are currently into as opposed to giving them "a keepsake they will cherish." Hopefully you are doing the same for your bridesmaids and groomsmen. 
    I have never cherished a keepsake that someone gave me specifically as a keepsake to cherish. As a child or an adult. They make for crappy gifts, if you subscribe to the belief that the purpose of giving a gift is to give something the receiver actually wants. So this is excellent advice.
    If it's immediate family and you know the type of things they like, I think a "keepsake to cherish" is fine. I got my mom a nice personalized frame to put a picture from the wedding in. She seems to still love it. 

But aside from your parents (and even then, not ALL parents), no one wants a keepsake to remember your wedding by. Even if they're in your wedding. They're happy for you, but it's not some momentous occasion in their lives they need an object to remember it.