Attire & Accessories Forum

Is this a joke?

Please tell me it isn't for real.  Gave me my laugh of the day.  Does it come with belly dancers?

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg

Re: Is this a joke?

• This is a gorgeous outfit. But i can see why you'd like to hate on it. 
  • No, not a joke. Definitely a modern style.

I've seen a few "traditional style" dresses that IMO are bordering on inappropriate for anyone's eyes but the husband- and this dress doesn't come close.
  • I wouldn't wear it even if I had the body to get away with it, but it is very pretty. 
  • I don't have the body for it but I don't see the point in mocking this dress, it looks lovely. 
  • I'm not a fan of it, and I tend to sideeye stuff like this at a wedding, but I can see why someone would wear it. Crop tops are very in right now. 
  • It reminds me of the prom dresses that were on trend when I was in high school, with crop tops and full skirts. But not quite as tacky as those, perhaps.

Fashion's a funny, fickle thing. For a time it was all the rage for the ladies of Louis XIV's court to wear dresses cut so low they actually exposed part or all of the nipples. High heels were first worn by men. No doubt some people scoffed or laughed at those things too.
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2016
    Well, I'm all for changing fashion styles.  I am glad to see the end of the ubiquitous strapless ballgowns with pickups from five years ago, and I love the use of lace in today's fashions.
    I do tend to be conservative when it comes to wedding dresses, and I can't imagine a bride wearing this in my church.  My grandmother would be shocked at the low back dresses that are popular these days.  My mother happily wore one to my wedding as MOB in 1976.  It was aqua.  She created quite a sensation, which is exactly what she wanted.
    The dress in the picture would be banned at any school in my district.  Bare midriffs are not allowed.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • If anyone else had posted this, you would have been laughing at it, too.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • CMGragain said:
    If anyone else had posted this, you would have been laughing at it, too.
    You are 100% wrong. Why is this dress so hilarious to you? Cropped tops are in right now, and that top and skirt are gorgeous. 

For whatever reason, you seem to look down on and poke fun at anything you deem risqué or not appropriate. So what if you can't imagine someone wearing this at your church? 

And please don't try to use your age as an excuse again. My mother is older than you, and she'd never create a post mocking a dress like this. 
    edited December 2016
    debbeau said:
    I am a high school teacher and see my share of bare midriffs in my classroom. Administration and I would rather have the students show up for class then worry about what kids are wearing. 
      I agree!  I had an Indian student told that she could not wear a sari to school.  Those were the rules, and they wouldn't make an exception for her.  They did make an exception to the no-head covering rule for muslim and jewish students, though.
    Some of the kids do use poor judgement in clothing.  I have a hard time sympathizing with young ladies, who are wearing booty shorts in December, complaining about the cold.  Same with young men wearing sleeveless shirts and shorts.
    When I was traveling in Italy, I explained to a family that I met on the train that , if they wanted to go to the Vatican, they needed to change their clothes.  Yes, the Vatican has a dress code, and it applies to American tourists, too.  They were very nice, and thanked me for saving them some time and embarrassment.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
    edited December 2016
    CMGragain said:
    You are 100% wrong. Why is this dress so hilarious to you? Cropped tops are in right now, and that top and skirt are gorgeous. 

For whatever reason, you seem to look down on and poke fun at anything you deem risqué or not appropriate. So what if you can't imagine someone wearing this at your church? 

And please don't try to use your age as an excuse again. My mother is older than you, and she'd never create a post mocking a dress like this. 
    I may be old, but at least I don't single out particular people to post intentionally rude opinions, and what almost amount to  personal attacks.  I am done with you.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • CMGragain said:
    No. I would have had the same reaction had anyone posted this. I will not mock what a woman (or man) chooses to wear on their wedding day, nor will I make jokes about belly dancers or other cultures. 

Additionally not everyone gets married in a church, but as someone who discusses their Christian values on this site frequently, I'm disappointed you chose to make fun of and put down people's choices. 
  • CMGragain said:
    CMGragain said:

I may be old, but at least I don't single out particular people to post intentionally rude opinions, and what almost amount to  personal attacks.  I am done with you.
    You've singled out any person that considered wearing a dress like this and then threw shade at belly dancers. 
  • Maybe this post might have been better received in Snarky Brides. There are Horrible Dress posts there from previous years, 2015 was most recent I think, with tons of pages of ugly dresses, some outlandish and some that were actually worn by others on the boards. 

I don't like this dress. The skirt is see through, and the top looks like see through chain mail. You can see where the cups are sewn in and the rest of the top is sheer. Reminds me of Pnina Tornai. Crop top dresses were the in thing when I went to prom and I thought they were bad then too. At least this one isn't neon orange like those old prom dresses though.

There are all kinds of fashion trends in the past that looking back people wonder what we/they were thinking. Just because it is trendy now doesn't make it a good idea.
  • So from what I found out about this dress is that it is a prom dress:
    http://www.promgirl.com/shop/dresses/viewitem-PD1451454

I think it was meant to emulate this one:
    Image result for crop top wedding dresses
  • dress is super cute and if you have the body for it i say rock it on. no need to post judgement on what someone chooses to wear. 

not everyone does a church wedding anymore, i have been to plenty of non church weddings and they were all unique and different in their own way
  • justsie said:
    So from what I found out about this dress is that it is a prom dress:

I could see something like this (or the original dress) at a benefit or other black-tie affair. 
  • justsie said:
    So from what I found out about this dress is that it is a prom dress:

I could see something like this (or the original dress) at a benefit or other black-tie affair. 
    I can see how it would be considered attractive, but it's not my taste.  The top and bottom are too different to me, like someone mixed up and put the wrong bottom with the wrong top.  I think the top belongs more with a figure-hugging skirt of the same design, but I am so far away from being fashion-forward, I might as well be stuck in 2005 or even 1995.  This looks like one of those designs you'd see on Project Runway where the judges gush about it and I'm sitting there with question marks over my head.  
  • This was incredibly stylish last season. I'm not surprised it's going through to bridal now, as that is usually 1-3 years behind runway fashion. 

Taylor Swift: 

Emily Blunt: 

Miss America: 

• eh, I'm in my 20's I think this is heinous, too.