Registry and Gift Forum

"LifeExperiences.ca"

Hey all,

In my searches for "where to register" I've come across a couple sites that recommend registering at a site called Life Experiences. It seems as though guests purchase a gift certificate for a specific experience on the site and then are able to either email it to us or print it and give us a hard copy.

My question is whether or not anyone knows if this is a type of "scam" site? I don't like sites like Honeyfund where they literally just give cash and take a percentage off it when the guests thinks they're buying the actual experience and aren't aware of the service charges...

Any insight would be appreciated!
Daisypath Wedding tickers

Re: "LifeExperiences.ca"

• It's possible they get their cut from the company that offers the services. Say if there is a scuba company offering basic lessons, the life experiences site might be paid by scuba company to host their services on the site, so it's not necessarily true that the site takes a percentage from the gift giver or the recipient. I have no idea if that's the case with this particular site, but it is plausible this is different than honeyfund and the like where you just get a check. 
  • It's possible they get their cut from the company that offers the services. Say if there is a scuba company offering basic lessons, the life experiences site might be paid by scuba company to host their services on the site, so it's not necessarily true that the site takes a percentage from the gift giver or the recipient. I have no idea if that's the case with this particular site, but it is plausible this is different than honeyfund and the like where you just get a check. 
    This. I do not like honeyfunds, and think they are deceptive. However, I had a friend who "registered" with AAA- you clicked the link on their website, and it took you to a list of activities you could buy the couple on their honeymoon. Similar to honeyfund, but the couple received no money- literally got the experience the guest paid for. It also did not take out any fees, as it was the same as if the couple had booked the activity themselves. Sites like these do exist (not sure if life experience is one of these though, sorry!)
  • Your from ON right? I've yet to go to a wedding where anyone brings a physical gift in ON except in the case where someone had a Honeyfund. Don't register or have a small one, people will bring cash.
  • @charlotte989875 I never thought about that, but it makes perfect sense! I think I'll avoid it just in case!

To everyone else, it's not that I don't want to register at typical places, I just thought this could be an interesting alternative registry. But I'm am too worried that it is scammy so I think I'll just not!

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Blech. For all the reasons stated above. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14