Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

Wrong Season Engagement Pictures

I initially was not thinking of having a December holiday wedding, so in May, when my man proposed, my fiance and I were beyond excited took our engagement pictures immediately! They turned out great!
My issue is, now that I am having a holiday wedding, they do not match the theme at all! (I attached a few pictures!)

What should I do about them being the wrong season? How could I tie Spring pictures save the dates and invitations in the future? I have plenty of time, so I'm not in a rush, just getting ideas!

I would have just gotten new pictures, but we did not have the money to spend a lot on another set of engagement pictures right before the holidays, with just buying a home! 

I'm seeing if anybody has any good ideas on how I can still use the pictures I've already paid a pretty penny for, before I pay for more engagement pictures.

Re: Wrong Season Engagement Pictures

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2016
    Engagement pictures do not need to match the wedding season.  Where did you get this idea?  Some brides don't get engagement photos at all.  I didn't.

How are you planning on using the photos?  It is not proper to mail printed engagement announcements.  You could have a photo published in your local paper with your engagement announcement.  Be prepared to pay a lot of money if this is in your plans!  On Facebook?  No problem.  Included in a wedding invitation?  Not proper.  To display at the wedding?  I have never heard of this!  I think you are worrying about something that doesn't matter at all.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I don't see why they need to match. H and I had a December wedding. Our engagement photos were taken in early fall. We didn't have save the dates, but we did include a photo with the invitation. I never gave it a second thought, and I doubt anyone sideeyed that it wasn't winter in the photo. 

If you're really concerned about it though, consider cropping down the photos so there is more emphasis on the two of you as opposed to the scenery. I like the fifth one you posted best for this. Consider going black and white. That will deemphasize the very springy/summery greens. 
    Oh what good advice, thank you so much! You just comforted my mom and I so much on not having to do another set of pictures!
    (The fifth one is my favorite too! I love the cropping and making it black and white!!)

Merry Christmas and thank you again! :)
  • CMGragain said:
    Engagement pictures do not need to match the wedding season.  Where did you get this idea?  Some brides don't get engagement photos at all.  I didn't.

How are you planning on using the photos?  It is not proper to mail printed engagement announcements.  You could have a photo published in your local paper with your engagement announcement.  Be prepared to pay a lot of money if this is in your plans!  On Facebook?  No problem.  Included in a wedding invitation?  Not proper.  To display at the wedding?  I have never heard of this!  I think you are worrying about something that doesn't matter at all.
    My mother was giving me this idea, since we started looking at invitation designs since we're in the holiday spirit right now! (We won't make an official decision on what invitations for another 6 months.)

Okay, I just have been getting many ideas from all different family members and friends to use them in different ways. They're all over Facebook and at the engagement party my mom presented them beautifully, everyone loved them!

Thanks for the advice, I won't use them at the wedding, I never heard of that either, just invitations and save the dates is what I've heard!
  • I have seen couples use their engagement photo on a STD (which are never required). But the invitation itself should not have a photo.

The invitation conveys the who, what, when and where. The colours of the invitation can show your theme and the formality of the invitation should match the formality of your wedding.

I have seen couples get an engagement photo printed with a wide white mat boarder and then use this as their guestbook.

In either case, your engagement photos do not need to match your wedding day season. Engagement photos are generally done a few months ++ before the actual wedding, so I don't think I've ever seen anyone's match.

If you are worried, I do like the idea of cropping the photo and putting it into black and white.
  • SP29 said:
    I have seen couples use their engagement photo on a STD (which are never required). But the invitation itself should not have a photo.

The invitation conveys the who, what, when and where. The colours of the invitation can show your theme and the formality of the invitation should match the formality of your wedding.

I have seen couples get an engagement photo printed with a wide white mat boarder and then use this as their guestbook.

In either case, your engagement photos do not need to match your wedding day season. Engagement photos are generally done a few months ++ before the actual wedding, so I don't think I've ever seen anyone's match.

If you are worried, I do like the idea of cropping the photo and putting it into black and white.
    Our photo was not on the invitation but was included separately. I think it's pretty common to include a photo with the invitation if you don't do save the dates. The vast majority of the invitations I have received (save the dates don't appear to be popular among the people I know) have included one. 
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2016
    SP29 said:
    I have seen couples use their engagement photo on a STD (which are never required). But the invitation itself should not have a photo.

Our photo was not on the invitation but was included separately. I think it's pretty common to include a photo with the invitation if you don't do save the dates. The vast majority of the invitations I have received (save the dates don't appear to be popular among the people I know) have included one. 
    I have never seen this.  I usually recommend that invitations are sent with only the necessary information.  I would hate to think of an engagement photo ending up in the trash with the envelope.
    What about this, ladies?  Do you often see engagement photos included in a wedding invitation?
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • CMGragain said:
    SP29 said:

I have never seen this.  I usually recommend that invitations are sent with only the necessary information.  I would hate to think of an engagement photo ending up in the trash with the envelope.
    What about this, ladies?  Do you often see engagement photos included in a wedding invitation?
    I usually put the photo on the fridge. 
  • Never seen or heard of including a photo with the invitation. 
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • I've never seen a photo with or on an invitation. 
  • I've never received a photo with an invitation. Photos as part of the save the date - very common.
  • I've seen photos on the invitation itself and see nothing wrong with it. The invitation dictates the formality and if the wedding is more casual, fun, then a photo of the couple doesn't seem out of place. I've never received a separate enclosed photo with an invite.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• I've seen photo STDs but never in or on an invitation.   My SIL and BIL had a fall wedding and did winter e pics.  There's no rule.  
  • I didn't get engagement photos, so I didn't include them in save the dates (which I actually didn't do either) or the invite. Most of my friends have done a photo save the date.

We did family photos at the end of October, and it's very clearly fall - we just sent one of those out as our Christmas cards. Use the e-photos or don't use them, but if you like the pictures, the season is no reason not to use them.
  • edited December 2016
    If I received an engagement picture in an invitation I would think it was pretty AW-ish. I also am the kind of person who is meh on engagement picture STDs and really doesn't like wedding picture thank you cards (unless they use a preview picture and still send the thank yous asap, I just hate when it is the excuse used to not send thank yous right away).

Either way it ends up in the trash, in my house, it's just extra garbage if I got a picture in the invitation. It wouldn't go on the fridge with the invitation, even.
  • My take on photos:

-  Season doesn't matter at all (Black and White is classic and diminishes this if you are concerned).
    -  Photo Save the Dates are common and I like those.
    - Photos with invites are something I have never seen or heard of.  I might think it weird (maybe a tad AW-ish) and wouldn't keep a separate photo.
    - Photo Thank You Cards: I am okay with these when the couple uses an e-pic or a guests/preview pic and sends them out within two weeks or so.  I hate when couples take FOR EV AR to get them out because they are waiting on a pic. (We had "generic" ones that matched our wedding stationary).
    - Photos at the wedding:  I have seen this but I don't really car much.