Vow Renewals

Etiquette question...

tmc26tmc26 member
First Comment First Anniversary
edited January 2017 in Vow Renewals
Since it's a vow renewal, should I get bridal party gifts? We'll only have 3 bridesmaids/groomsmen.

So many untraditional things are acceptable in the world today. We did not have a big wedding the 1st time so with noone paying for this other than us, I'd say I can do whatever the heck & have whomever the heck we want. Thank you to those who provided HELPFUL feedback ;)

Re: Etiquette question...

• tmc26 said:
    Since it's a vow renewal, should I get bridal party gifts? We'll only have 3 bridesmaids/groomsmen
    I think if you're asking someone to stand up in your ceremony you should get them a gift to thank them for doing so. 
  • One of the differences between vow renewals and weddings is that you don't have wedding parties.

But if you do ask anyone to be your attendant, then yes, get them a gift.
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2017
    Bridesmaids?  At a Vow Renewal?  What?

If you want HELPFUL advice, here is an etiquette site for Vow Renewals: 

http://www.idotaketwo.com/blog/vow-renewal-etiquette-2/

The first thing that it says is that Vow Renewals are not second weddings.  Have a beautiful day and a wonderful vow renewal ceremony, but if you are trying to turn it into your second-chance wedding, you will look very foolish.
    tmc26 said:
    Since it's a vow renewal, should I get bridal party gifts? We'll only have 3 bridesmaids/groomsmen.

So many untraditional things are acceptable in the world today. We did not have a big wedding the 1st time so with noone paying for this other than us, I'd say I can do whatever the heck & have whomever the heck we want. Thank you to those who provided HELPFUL feedback ;)

There is NOTHING traditional about a vow renewal ceremony.  They are a very recent thing.  Yes, they do have rules, just like a wedding has rules.  If you want us to give you permission to do "whatever the heck & have whomever the heck you want" then you will not get it here.  Your statement is very defensive, and somewhat insulting to your guests.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Yes, if you have people stand up with you, then they should be given gifts. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • tmc26 said:

Wow, that's rude and childish.
  • How long have you been married?
    *********************************************************************************

• We'll never hear from this one again.  She's already ordered her wedding gown.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Definitely get them a gift :) . I hope you have a wonderful renewal!