Chit Chat

How long did it take to change your name?

How long did it take you to change your name & get all of your official documents switched over? Our wedding is early April, and my sister is getting married out of the country in late June. I was thinking of waiting to change my name until after her wedding because I don't want to risk not getting my passport back in time. I know it can be expedited and I've gotten it quickly before but it seems like 2.5 months might be cutting it close to getting everything done? Am I totally off base?

Re: How long did it take to change your name?

• I'd wait until after.  H and I married in Feb and honeymooned in April, just to play it safe I waited until after then to change my name.  
    Bank accounts/credit cards took about a week once I notified them.  The DMV and SS office I walked in with the marriage license, filled out the appropriate forms, and had my new IDs in a couple of weeks.  My professional counseling license took a month.  And I haven't changed my passport yet  :|
  • I'd also probably wait. It didn't take that long; one day at SS office and DMV, about a week or so at banks (for new cards to ship). I didn't change my passport yet, but it takes about the same length of time as a renewal, 6-8 weeks, so you may be cutting it a little close. 
  • I also suggest waiting.  
  • Where are you from? In my country it generally only takes a week or two to get a new passport. 
  • Where are you from? In my country it generally only takes a week or two to get a new passport. 
    The US. I think the official website says to plan on like 4-6 weeks or something. I got my first one expedited and it came super quickly and my renewal came in less than 4 weeks, but I don't want to push it.
  • Thanks everyone! As excited as I would be to book a trip under my married name, I'd rather not miss my sister's wedding so waiting it is!
  • Thanks everyone! As excited as I would be to book a trip under my married name, I'd rather not miss my sister's wedding so waiting it is!

That's the easiest/less stressful call.  For me the SS office was a breeze, but since I changed my middle name to my maiden and took my husbands last as my last, PennDOT (my DMV) was difficult and wanted multiple proofs of my new name, (most of which required a valid Drivers License to obtain!).  I had to get a voter registration, SS card, AND bring my marriage certificate to change it and that was a lengthy process waiting for everything to show up.  Even then they tried to argue that I needed tax documents or a court order, which would have taken several months! 

I'm sure most people don't have such a difficult time, but its something to consider depending on where you live and how you change your name.

• Wait until after. We booked our honeymoon about 6 months after wedding and the travel agency said to wait until after that because there is no guarantees on timing.
  • SaintPaulGalSaintPaulGal member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited January 2017
    I can't speak to the name change process as a whole, but a new passport doesn't necessarily have to take a long time.  Do you have a passport office in your city?  If so, you can pay a little extra (same cost as a standard expedited passport when I did it a few years ago, I believe) and you get it back within 3 days.