Wedding Woes

It's Wednesday

2»

Re: It's Wednesday

• re: cashews - the fruit (cashew apple) from the cashew tree is made into liquor/"wine". We tried some in Belize, and it was awful. 
  • edited January 2017
    lyndausvi said:
    Hello everyone!

Life has been a little crazy.  Work is still going well.  We have friends from OOT so we have been going out to eat and skiing.  Skiing has been okay.  It's been pretty windy and lots of avalanche alerts, so some of the lifts have been closed as a result.

Had sort-of a health scare.   I've been having a lot of chest pain lately.  Not severe, but annoying just the same.  Started a few weeks ago.   Had a physical scheduled for next week and was just trying to wait until then, but for the last 5 days it's been consistent so I went in today.   I didn't think it was a heart attack, but my symptoms were like a few different things including heart attack.  It seems it might be GI related.  Taking heartburn pills for the next days.  If it continues then we will move on to other tests.

Most awkward part of my doctor's appointment was when the RN walked in, saw my work sweatshirt and asked if I was the owner. I said no, but I'm a manger up there.  She said "were you the one who fired my daughter".   You see her daughter was fired for being late often and then clocking-in and taking a long lunch.   The final straw was when she came in late and then demanded to be able to take lunch.  Then screamed at her manager, in front of the owners and  guests.  

Mom thinks she just yelled at her co-workers in front of guests.  Not sure she even knows how late she was and she was eating on the clock.  Mom/RN kept asking how her daughter can get her job back.   Umm, how about talking about me okay??? 

It should be noted daughter's schedule was 11am until about 3:30-4pm (depends on when the cleaning is done).   Her, along with all the part-timers are invited to come up at 10:30 for lunch.  They are given up to $24 per day for lunch.  It does not carry over to the next day if you don't use it all, nor do you get to keep any money you do not use.   You also have to work at least 3 days a week in order to get the ski pass that is worth some $2,400.      We are the busiest from 11am until 2.  She was coming in after 11, then taking lunch on the clock.  It doesn't really help us.

Today I'm taking it easy.  Meeting everyone else up later for Apres ski.
    @lyndausvi, I've had chest pain on and off for a while. I finally went to the ER at FW's insistence and found out that it was a combination of GI issues and chest wall inflammation (costochondritis if you want to get fancy). I'm glad you got yours checked out so quickly!
  • @Heffalump - hope your mom feels better soon.

@OurWildKingdom - glad you got your's check out too!

I'm still dropping weight pretty quickly.  Which I'm not completely happy about.   It's been a long time since I've been this thin, but it's time for it to level off.  I'm eating, although admittedly not as much as before, but I am eating.  Did cut back on the alcohol a lot.    Still dropping an average of 2+lbs a week.   Which for my height and starting weight is a lot.    Sorry if it sounds like FWP.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Just when I thought things might be okay at work after the sale of the hotel, I get hit with a whammy.  With the new federal overtime law I have been re-classified as non-exempt.  So I now have to maintain time sheets (thankfully I don't actually have to punch in and out at least.)  And the powers that be be took my salary and converted it to an hourly wage based on a 45 hour work week, so I have to work 5 hours of OT every week for my pay to remain the same.  Lunch is included as paid time so it's not quite as bad, but the net effect is that I have to plan on being in the office until 5:30 every day instead of 5.  I am here until at least that time most days anyway just to get work done, but it rankles that it is now required or I take a pay cut.

Oh, and since my salary calculation includes 5 hours of time-and-a-half, I now make the exact same hourly wage as I did before my major promotion 8 months ago.  :/

Seriously SMH.  That is just so many levels of bulls**t, I'm mad for you.

However they want to slice it, that's a big pay cut because of the lowered hourly wage.  I mean, a typical work week is 40 hours, so where is this working your previous salary out over 45 hours coming from?  Ruthless, unadulterated corporate greed.  That's where it is coming from!

If I remember correctly, you are keeping your eyes open for other opportunities.  I hope a much better paying one comes along soon.  And when I gave my 2-week notice, I'd point blank let them know I was leaving because they cut my hourly wage by X%.

They made a big production about how generous they were being to base it on a 45-hour work week, since when they have come in other places they have used a 50-hour week as a standard because managers "should" be working 50 hours.  And there was this whole spiel about how the change is about work-life balance and being paid for the work that you do and it's just common sense and good for everyone.  Bitch, please.  One of my least favorite things in the world is having to smile and nod and pretend that I am too dumb or foolish or idealistic or whatever to see through the bullshit that you are peddling.  I will respect you a thousand times more if you just say to my face "office hours now extend to 5:30 instead of 5."  Like, I'll still be pissed.  But it's so much more infuriating to go through this whole song and dance where they pretend it's a positive thing and I have to pretend to believe it.  Something similar happened at my last job and that's what drove me away.  ("It's so great that we are restructuring our commission system such that you make zero bonus on months where you don't hit your target since now you make a higher percentage on sales over 200% of goal, and you'd all rather be high achievers anyway, right!?") 
  • Prepare yourself, Heffa - you have a teenager. Already.

Lynda, I'm glad you're ok. Chest pains are scary, though. I hope the meds help and no further tests are needed. Also, that RN is out of her mind asking you questions like that! Soooo inappropriate!

• Prepare yourself, Heffa - you have a teenager. Already.

Lynda, I'm glad you're ok. Chest pains are scary, though. I hope the meds help and no further tests are needed. Also, that RN is out of her mind asking you questions like that! Soooo inappropriate!

Thanks.   

To the bold:  totally inappropriate and awkward. I wasn't her manager, knew a little about why she was fired, but certainly not qualified to even answer that question.

Actually I guess I am.   The answer is no.  We have a waiting list of people who want to work for us, she has already been replaced.   Plus it's seasonal and this is CO.  They can let you go for no reason (other than the standard discrimination stuff).  She hadn't even worked 90 days yet.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • @Heffalump  luck for your mum and for you as apparently you have a teenager now ;)
  • Heffa - hope you mom's healing from surgery are quick!  It also sounds like you have a soon to be boy crazy teenager on your hands!

Lynda - I'd report that woman to the head of the doctor's office because that is really inappropriate.  Especially because you were there for a potentially serious issue.  I hope it's just GI issues and you don't need any further tests.  Also, if it is GI issues, that might be a reason why you are losing weight.  And $24 seems like a very generous lunch each day!  Make sure you include a piece of cake each day!
  • @Heffalump healing vibes for your mom!

I actually like barn doors - call me crazy. I want to put one on the arched doorway between our family room and our living room, but I am not sure how that would work...

Also - am I the only one who just realized how much the Property Brothers look like Harry Connick, Jr.?
  • @Heffalump healing vibes for your mom!

I actually like barn doors - call me crazy. I want to put one on the arched doorway between our family room and our living room, but I am not sure how that would work...

Also - am I the only one who just realized how much the Property Brothers look like Harry Connick, Jr.?
    OMG!!!!!!! I have never thought about that before, but you're totally right. I have a huge crush on Harry Connick Jr. so that explains their appeal to me. Lol

• @short+sassy In further rabbit holes to blow your mind, Strawberries are not berries, they are ovums.
    Grapes and watermelons are berries.

I'm in the now sleep club, because I'm migrainey.
    I had to unmedicate to do a kinda phone screen/interview thingy this morning--potiental, we will see.
    Then I picked up the kiddo for a dentist appt and...screwed it up.  I missed the appt.
    Probably just as well, I'm not sure she could get fillings w/ how congested she is.  So we had lunch and since she's got a nasty cold, I cancelled OT, took her to the store w/ me to get meds, and the 2 of us are chilling at home.

AND she just lost her first tooth.  Lost it taking cold meds, because she's crazycakes.
    She's on Dr.Cocoa Nighttime, I'm on barbiturates, about to escalate to something stronger...we're a helluva team right now :P
  • GBCK said:
    @short+sassy In further rabbit holes to blow your mind, Strawberries are not berries, they are ovums.

I had to unmedicate to do a kinda phone screen/interview thingy this morning--potiental, we will see.
    Then I picked up the kiddo for a dentist appt and...screwed it up.  I missed the appt.
    Probably just as well, I'm not sure she could get fillings w/ how congested she is.  So we had lunch and since she's got a nasty cold, I cancelled OT, took her to the store w/ me to get meds, and the 2 of us are chilling at home.

AND she just lost her first tooth.  Lost it taking cold meds, because she's crazycakes.
    She's on Dr.Cocoa Nighttime, I'm on barbiturates, about to escalate to something stronger...we're a helluva team right now :P
    I have never heard of 'ovums'
  • GBCK said:
    @short+sassy In further rabbit holes to blow your mind, Strawberries are not berries, they are ovums.

Bananas are also berries. 
  • @Heffalump I'm glad your mom is out.

I went to M2's school for an author visit and sat next to the mom of a boy in her class.  She was telling me how much Oliver talks about her- she's so smart, and funny, and nice.  Then at the holiday party Oliver looked at her and said "I like your pants."  I think Oliver has a crush.
  • VarunaTTVarunaTT member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited January 2017
    Problems with planning Pride are already starting.  This stupid city and it's stupid special permit process where they just decide shit and don't actually ASK anyone in the business of planning shit like this results in 2 major problems for me right now:

To have the tents we requested, results in X weight put on each tent leg.  Each tent leg results in X total weight...which is too much goddamn weight for the goddamn public square to handle.  Never mind that the company we want to use for the tents is pissed b/c apparently our city used a comparison city that has hurricanes and therefore uses hurricane standards to set our weight standards and guess what we don't effin' have?  HURRICANES.  No, zero, zilch, nada.

And finally, we are required to have our application in 60 days before our date.  Only problem is that requires us to have special event insurance.  Only problem is for a festival our size, I can't find anyone willing to even give me a quote until 60 effin' days out!  

Other than that, I've got nothing.
  • How frustrating, @VarunaTT! Grrr.
  • GBCK said:

Bananas are also berries. 
    OMG stop it. That's CRAZY! My mind is blown.
  • Re; $950K not going as far as you'd think 

in a newer subdivision in my area, this is why $950K gets you. (and honestly, i think it's overpriced, because you can get nice houses on the water in that same development for less)

$950K: http://www.har.com/19206-W-Austin-Bayou/sale_325584
    $845K (waterfront): http://www.har.com/9526-W-Pedernales-River-Dr/sale_7694896
    $450K: http://www.har.com/17926-Pecan-Bayou-Ln/sale_3966474

You could get 3-4 houses in my neighborhood for $950, but it's also one of the original subdivisions in the area, and the houses are 25-30yo. I love the homes in the development that I posted above  - but it's also another 10-15+ minutes to each of our commutes, so I doubt we'd go out there. 
  • All these random facts about foods not being what I once thought they were are making me question everything in life.

• All these random facts about foods not being what I once thought they were are making me question everything in life.

Agreed.  My world is shaken right now also.

I mean, come on!  I think of berries as being cute little roundish small things.  But huge watermelons?  Bananas, not round at all?

I'm holding onto my desk right now.  Just to make sure the forces of gravity aren't only in my imagination.

Wedding Countdown Ticker