Wedding Woes

Friday!

What's up for the weekend?

Cleaning like a crazy person today, while working.  My nephew's bday party is here tomorrow. 

Sunday is going to be chillllll... all day long. 

Also, we're supposed to get an ice storm...but it's hit or miss around our area.  The news is being dramatic, but the hour by hour has the highest percentage at around 40% chance.  So IDK...

Re: Friday!

• DH and I are headed to Charleston to meet up with a bunch of his old friends.  I'm not sure what to expect, but as tired as I have been all week, I know I'm not going to be the life of any party.  I have half a mind to just park myself on the beach with a stack of books and have a little quiet time while everyone else gets rip-roaring drunk.  DH has serious FOMO, so he'll be up at the ass-crack of dawn every day (I don't think he's grown out of that, yet).  I will not be, and I will not feel bad about it, either.

Monday, I'm off.  It's chore day.  Womp, womp.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• mrsconn23 said:

Also, we're supposed to get an ice storm...but it's hit or miss around our area.  The news is being dramatic, but the hour by hour has the highest percentage at around 40% chance.  So IDK...

This exactly.  I sort of feel like our weatherpeople are being worse than normal because last month they predicted 1-2 inches of snow in one snowstorm and we ended up with 12.  People were really pissed and they issued apologies and statements about how meteorology isn't an exact science.  So who knows what we'll actually get.  I'll still buy too much food and make sure we have batteries.

Tomorrow the girls have basketball games, sunday is supposed to be icemageddon, and Monday the kids don't have school, though I still have to work.  I see lots of lounging and eating in our futures.

• How's your sister doing @tawillers?  Is everyone adjusting well? 
  • I seem to be in same boat as most, we're cleaning this weekend also.

Actually, Saturday I'm seeing my mum. We're likely going for late lunch/early dinner at this amazing buffet downtown :) It's her fave, so every time we're in the area we have to go lol 

I'm not sure what's up for Saturday night. There's been talk of a bunch of us getting together, but idk for sure.

Sunday is likely cleaning. I've been pretty good on keeping up with basic things {dishes, vacuuming, etc} but the bathrooms haven't been cleaned in a bit - except the toilets because of my being sick a little bit ago. I'm getting M to sweep the basement this weekend so we can bring stuff in from the garage. That will likely take up most of the day.

Last day of antibiotics! Tonight is my last dose and it couldn't come soon enough. I've been getting a couple side effects, but only one lasted the entire time. The other 2 showed up within last two days, so it could be worse.

I also started these new melts for allergies. Luckily they can be mixed with other allergy meds but I'm hoping it'll be good. Apparently I only have to take them for 3-4 years since it's suppose to create a tolerance to the allergens. Right now they only have grass and ragweed, but ragweed I would say is my worst allergen. So that actually made me super excited!
  • Oh! So we're finally hitting Home Depot this weekend. We're getting our furnace filter and the door handle to the mud room kicked the bucket. We're not sure if it's a screw issue or the handle, but we have to replace it and can't close the door until we do.
    It's not a turn-style knob, so should be easy at least.

We were pulling out of the driveway - and since we can't close that door, it's free reign! - and Penny was already at the front door! Can't keep those cats away from doors I swear ...
  • $100 says @6fsn's son wears a long sleeved red shirt and jeans all weekend!
  • @Ro041 Happy to hear the pup is on the mend AND you got Essential Storm Supplies!

@6fsn your kids' packing method is genius and hysterical. 

Today I have a half day, so my plan is to get most of the housecleaning and some laundry done this afternoon. Tomorrow morning I have a hair appointment and I have a Nordstrom gift card burning a hole in my pocket so I may do a little shopping after I get my hairs did. 

Then tomorrow night, we are invited over to our friends' house to watch the Pats game with the rest of our group, but the game doesn't start until after 8. Seeing as how Beans has made 9pm my new bedtime lately, watching the game with the group just doesn't seem plausible. So we may just end up having a cozy evening at home.
  • Today I am off so it is cleaning and putting away Christmas gifts. I also hope to call a few places for limo quotes but I'll see how I feel. 

Saturday we have an appointment with a florist I love. Instagram has made wedding planning much easier. O get to see people's work without having to leave my house. Also on Saturday we have errands to run. We go away in a month and I would like some new pants and maybe some new shirts for FI. We will see how the weather is though

Sunday is a movie and snack day. Which is my favorite day of the week. 
  • I had forgotten how nice it was to walk outside without layers of clothes, so I'm loving New Orleans. The conference has been busy, and I had a meeting with kind of a big deal that went well yesterday. I have a little down time this morning, and a ton of work tomorrow. But not so much work that I haven't been enjoying all the food and the drinks!
  • The birthing class last night was good.  A nurse from the hospital I will deliver at presents the video and stops it from time to time to explain how the same situation would happen at the hospital under their regulations.  She also took questions.  The guy next to me was like the type of FTD you would see in the movies - asking tons of questions each time!  When we got to the part about c-sections, they showed an animation of what happens.  They didn't even go into all the stuff that needs to be moved out of the way to get to baby, but the guy was ewwing each time the animation made a new cut or pulled muscles out of the way.  Afterwards, he asked why its better for the mom to have a natural birth vs. a c-section.  Our nurse was funny and she's like "One is major surgery??"  When he asked that I wanted to smack him upside the head on behalf of his wife!

That was basically our entire evening.  I'm glad I had a crock pot meal started because the class was at 6:30, when I thought 7:30.  We also didn't get home until 9:45, so we basically put the dogs outside one last time and went to bed!

This morning, I got dishes done before work, so I feel productive already!  The road closure from yesterday was still in effect, but most people must have went other ways because it wasn't nearly as bad as yesterday.  I got to the office in my normal timeframe.

I'm heading out to Bed Bath & Beyond at lunch to grab some things I've been needing.  I will also grab lunch while I'm out, but not sure what I want to have yet.

This weekend Saturday is yoga, working on the tile floor in the bathroom, and Church.  Sunday may be more tile floor and beginning to remove Christmas.  If H is good on the floor, we will probably divide and conquer.  We both have off on Monday (first time for me that I've had off MLK, Jr day at work), so who knows what we will do.  My job is encouraging people to volunteer, but there just really isn't much I can do right now.  But I hope to do some volunteer work next year.

• A good thing that happened today:  I got a surprise Christmas bonus in my paycheck.  I can't decide whether I should use it to pay some bills or frivolously spend it on useless things like shoes and flowerpots.  Maybe a pink T-rex handbag.
    Yessssssss. 
  • For anyone who missed my late post yesterday on "Thursday", I stopped by a new Aaron Sanchez (Chopped celebrity chef) restaurant for Happy Hour last night.

I am undecided.  The tacos I got were great, but not quite to my taste.  One was pork carnitas and the other was albondigas (Mexican meatball).  The sauce for the pork carnitas was sweeter than I would have preferred.  Surprisingly, the albondigas also had a slight sweet flavor, despite being spicy.  Both were really good, don't get me wrong, but I was like, "Geez, can I get a savory taco where sugar isn't one of the main ingredients?"

I was also disappointed they didn't have any carne asada tacos, even though those were on their website.

The free salsa was excellent!  Had a really smoky flavor. 

They do have some interesting sounding dishes that I want to go back for.  Fried pigs' ears.  Venison tamales.  They also have a Frozen Blackberry margarita that uses all natural ingredients, including real blackberries. 

Oh!  And for $1 extra, you can top their homemade guacamole with dried grasshoppers.

Trying to hurry through my day, ugh.  Fridays are half days and I seem to never get all the stuff I need done.  And, of course, it's also timesheet day today.  Just to add another long PITA task onto the pile.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I have a miserable cold.

My folks insist my mom is feeling better enough that they want to take buffy for the weekend, so they are. 
    The Mr. and I have finished online shopping and are going to get a new washer/dryer.
    (Our old dryer is as old as I am.  literally.  It's still working, but the washer is dead and the dryer is only a matter of time)

And we're probably going to do some nothing, especially how I'm feeling.
  • I think I'm getting sick. Again. Boo.  This weekend we have my mom's b-day dinner on Sunday.  On Saturday we're going to look for kittens at the local shelter, then we're going to weed our extremely overgrown yard. Obviously if we find a kitten the weeding probably won't happen. lol

• levioosa said:
    I think I'm getting sick. Again. Boo.  This weekend we have my mom's b-day dinner on Sunday.  On Saturday we're going to look for kittens at the local shelter, then we're going to weed our extremely overgrown yard. Obviously if we find a kitten the weeding probably won't happen. lol
    Yay for kittens!  I think @gbck is too.  My cat-mom advice is to let the kitten pick you.  I'm so glad we changed our minds when we got to the Foster home and went home with the cat that wouldn't leave us alone.  Unless it's 5am and he wants to eat, then I feel differently.
  • levioosa said:
    I think I'm getting sick. Again. Boo.  This weekend we have my mom's b-day dinner on Sunday.  On Saturday we're going to look for kittens at the local shelter, then we're going to weed our extremely overgrown yard. Obviously if we find a kitten the weeding probably won't happen. lol
    Yay for kittens!  I think @gbck is too.  My cat-mom advice is to let the kitten pick you.  I'm so glad we changed our minds when we got to the Foster home and went home with the cat that wouldn't leave us alone.  Unless it's 5am and he wants to eat, then I feel differently.
    I totally second that advice.  I have three cats and all are super friendly and social with new people and deeply bonded to us.  All three will come and sleep on FI when he takes a nap.  They have nothing in common with the stereotypical aloof cat personality.  And all three "picked" me/us.  They weren't necessarily the most squee-worthy bundles of cute available, but I'd take personality over beauty any day.  (They are all adorable, of course, because KITTY!)  I have several friends who went into it knowing that they wanted X color fur that is Y length with Z colored eyes, etc.  They found what they were looking for, and their pets are stinkin' cute, but the personalities aren't all quite as great as their appearances.  
  • Also: birthday lunch for the coworker was delicious tacos.  We had all sorts of issues ordering, but it was worth it in the end because they are SO GOOD.  We are about to chow down on red velvet cake now.
  • levioosa said:
    The kitten is really for SO and he is obsessed with the idea of bonding with the kitten before taking it home.  lol.  It was the reason I didn't give him one for Christmas, just all the shit you need for a kitten.  I think the shelter near us has a play room where you sit and they bring in the kitten/cat and then you see how it behaves.  I like that, because the old shelter near my parents didn't have anything that friendly.  

• levioosa said:
    levioosa said:
    The kitten is really for SO and he is obsessed with the idea of bonding with the kitten before taking it home.  lol.  It was the reason I didn't give him one for Christmas, just all the shit you need for a kitten.  I think the shelter near us has a play room where you sit and they bring in the kitten/cat and then you see how it behaves.  I like that, because the old shelter near my parents didn't have anything that friendly.  
    That sounds like so much fun.  I want to go!
  • levioosa said:
    levioosa said:
    That sounds like so much fun.  I want to go!
    It seems to be the new thing for recently built shelters in our area.  I'm really glad they do it that way because personality makes a big difference, and as a bonus it allows the cats time out of the small cages they are in at the shelter. 

• levioosa said:
    levioosa said:
    I want this to be a normal thing!!
    Bad day? Go play with kittens {or puppies if you prefer} They get accustomed to people and you get to be cheered up via small animals
  • The kiddo wants it to be a girl kitten, so that is on the radar.

But, yes, we've been making sure the discussion (which she doesn't know has gotten to approval stage yet.  shhh.  We have to work out a few details) has been that we are NOT there to pick the cutest kitten, we are there to pick the one that's the best fit to our family.
    The current cat picked the Mr and...he's going to be a challenge to add other pets to.
    (the logic to why we're pursuing this now is slightly depressing; we want to add before the dog goes further downhill--because the dog can handle it right now)

I think we can work out details and try for next weekend...petfinder shows 20 cats in the 'baby' category in a 25 mile radius to my home, which is depressing, but means there's a lot of options.  And that's w/o touching the local HS, which does't post kittens because they don't need to--which is probably where we'll start, because that's where the other critters in our house have been from :)