Wedding Etiquette Forum

Re-Engaged Announcement

My fiance and I have been engaged - in the past. We were supposed to get married in May of 2016 and called the wedding off in March. We went our separate ways for a couple months, ended up working things out (with guidance through God) and are now re-engaged. How do we re-announce it without sounding completely ridiculous? I've thought about making it funny as our first 'Save the Date' was fishing themed - "We're hooked" (Our photographer actually got a photo of him hooking my shirt - it was hilarious!). Maybe something like, "Re-Hooked" or "The fishin' is always better the second time around"... but I am not sure that I want funny. We've been together 10 years and the break up was really difficult on our families. Any suggestions are appreciated. :) 

Re: Re-Engaged Announcement

• Do your family and close friends know you're back together? And engaged? This news is best told in person or call/text, depending on how you usually communicate with each person.  "We're back together" or "were engaged" aren't usually formal announcements.

If you meant to ask about printing a STD, you're welcome to make it humorous.  I probably wouldn't recycle a theme though.  So I wouldn't go with fishing.  
  • Don't do anything silly or cutesy.

Assuming everyone knows you are back together, simply announce when you are ready.  I'm sure all of your friends and family will be very happy for you both.
  • I think it would be best not to send a STD this time. Tell the VIPs in person, and make sure they have any necessary travel information and know to save the date, without doing a mailing. Then just send invitations. 

Personally, I would find it odd to receive a second STD for a wedding that was called off a year ago but is now back on. I'd be rolling my eyes and thinking "yeah, OK, let's see if this one happens". 
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited January 2017
    I agree with PPs that sending a save-the-date for a wedding after a broken engagement for which you previously sent a save-the-date is likely to confuse people, so I wouldn't do it.

I would just tell your VIPs in a direct, straightforward way. Announcing your re-engagement is a message that needs to be conveyed in a manner that encourages the people you tell that you're serious this time about getting married to your FI, and a cutesy or humorous message defeats that purpose.
  • My fiance and I have been engaged - in the past. We were supposed to get married in May of 2016 and called the wedding off in March. We went our separate ways for a couple months, ended up working things out (with guidance through God) and are now re-engaged. How do we re-announce it without sounding completely ridiculous? I've thought about making it funny as our first 'Save the Date' was fishing themed - "We're hooked" (Our photographer actually got a photo of him hooking my shirt - it was hilarious!). Maybe something like, "Re-Hooked" or "The fishin' is always better the second time around"... but I am not sure that I want funny. We've been together 10 years and the break up was really difficult on our families. Any suggestions are appreciated. :) 
    Ewwwww!  Please don't do this!  Marriage is a serious matter.  It is a sacrament to many people.  Jokes like this are in terrible taste, and offensive to many.  The very idea that someone is "hooked" is insulting and anti-feminist.  Please treat your upcoming wedding as a dignified and important event.

You do not "announce" your engagement anywhere except in the newspaper.  You may also tell people in person.  Word of mouth will do the job, especially considering your circumstances.  (I completely approve of your taking the extra time to be sure that marriage is the right decision for the two of you.  Very mature.)

Save the Dates are not required at all.  They are a rather new custom, and it is only important for people who must make complicated travel arrangements to attend your wedding.  You know your guests.  It may be enough just to send send your invitations eight weeks in advance.

Congratulations on your new engagement.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Skip the fanfare and just tell people.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • edited November 2019
  • I don't think any kind of cutesy "announcement" would go over well. I think just telling people in a matter-of-fact manner would work better in your situation.