Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

Timing of Bridal Portraits, Nails, Trials, etc.

Hi!

I wanted to time my bridal portraits so that I could get my hair color done (I'm not changing my hair color, I routinely get highlights done and will need the touch up for the wedding) and my nails done in way that it lasted through to the day of my wedding so I can save on doing those things a second time.

I know if I get my hair colored for the portraits, it will be good for a month but the nails are a different story. 

I'm getting gel nail polish. I don't get my nails done a lot but when I do I always get gel and I've had different experiences. Sometimes it lasts for 2 weeks with no chipping and sometimes it lasts nicely, but gets some chips. Can nail technicians fix that without doing it over? Ideally, I would need to do my portraits within 2 weeks of the wedding for that to work.

Is it a good idea to put these things so closely together? Or should I just suck it up and pay for my nails (and potentially hair color) twice?

I'm also a teacher, and I get a few weeks off before my wedding for the summer, so it would actually be a great time to get all of that done for me, but from your experiences, when is the best time for portraits? Do I need to put more time between them and the wedding? 

Thanks!

Re: Timing of Bridal Portraits, Nails, Trials, etc.

• k&n62517 said:
    Hi!

I wanted to time my bridal portraits so that I could get my hair color done (I'm not changing my hair color, I routinely get highlights done and will need the touch up for the wedding) and my nails done in way that it lasted through to the day of my wedding so I can save on doing those things a second time.

I know if I get my hair colored for the portraits, it will be good for a month but the nails are a different story. 

I'm getting gel nail polish. I don't get my nails done a lot but when I do I always get gel and I've had different experiences. Sometimes it lasts for 2 weeks with no chipping and sometimes it lasts nicely, but gets some chips. Can nail technicians fix that without doing it over? Ideally, I would need to do my portraits within 2 weeks of the wedding for that to work.

Is it a good idea to put these things so closely together? Or should I just suck it up and pay for my nails (and potentially hair color) twice?

I'm also a teacher, and I get a few weeks off before my wedding for the summer, so it would actually be a great time to get all of that done for me, but from your experiences, when is the best time for portraits? Do I need to put more time between them and the wedding? 

Thanks!
    I know most people who get bridal portraits get them to display at the wedding, but as long as you don' t have plans to do that 2 weeks should be fine. I would go and talk to the nail tech and see if they would be willing to discount the price if you do have to come in and get 1-2 fingers touched up as opposed to an entirely new manicure- that way if you do get some chips you are not paying full price. 
  • justsie said:
    k&n62517 said:
    Hi!

Thanks!
    I know most people who get bridal portraits get them to display at the wedding, but as long as you don' t have plans to do that 2 weeks should be fine. I would go and talk to the nail tech and see if they would be willing to discount the price if you do have to come in and get 1-2 fingers touched up as opposed to an entirely new manicure- that way if you do get some chips you are not paying full price. 
    I agree. If it is a salon that you frequent they will probably fix a chipped nail free of charge - mine does.
  • Do you plan on displaying your portraits at the wedding? If so, first thing would be to ask your photographer if two weeks is enough time for them. If it's not, then you need to re-think your plan entirely and possibly move it to a couple months before the wedding to space out your highlights. 
    *********************************************************************************

• I didn't have plans to display my portraits at the wedding, I didn't even know that was a thing! 

I also meant to mention in the post that my makeup artist is letting my use my trial day makeup as my bridal portrait makeup, which means that the trial would also just be 2 weeks before the wedding, which I suspect some of you might discourage. She has done my makeup before for something else, I totally trust her to do a great job, the trial is just to nail down the particular look I want. Although, if someone still thinks that's a bad idea, I'm totally open to hearing why so I can consider that. 

That is a great idea about asking if they don't mind fixing a few nails. I will ask the salon! 

• I've only ever seen it as a thing in the south. There's like a 20x24, poster sized portrait of the bride in a fancy frame on an easel right before your walk into the sanctuary. Then the bride usually takes the giant portrait and hangs it up in her house. IMHO, it's super attention-whorish and I'm not a fan, but I know it's traditional in some places so whatever.

I'm curious though, if you aren't using the portrait to display, why are you getting them done before the wedding? Why not do them before the ceremony?
    *********************************************************************************

• k&n62517 said:
    I didn't have plans to display my portraits at the wedding, I didn't even know that was a thing! 

I also meant to mention in the post that my makeup artist is letting my use my trial day makeup as my bridal portrait makeup, which means that the trial would also just be 2 weeks before the wedding, which I suspect some of you might discourage. She has done my makeup before for something else, I totally trust her to do a great job, the trial is just to nail down the particular look I want. Although, if someone still thinks that's a bad idea, I'm totally open to hearing why so I can consider that. 

That is a great idea about asking if they don't mind fixing a few nails. I will ask the salon! 

If you are not using the portraits/Make-up artist as a trial for your wedding vendors you are fine to have these done whenever you want. 

If you have never worked with a photographer, hair stylist/make-up artist it is usually advised to use your engagement shoot/trial as a gauge of how (and if) you work together and what you may need to change for the wedding day.  That is why it is typically recommended to space it out as it allows time to find a new vendor should your trial end in a total disaster, or at the very least try working out the kinks to make everything on the "big day" better and smoother. 

• I've only ever seen it as a thing in the south. There's like a 20x24, poster sized portrait of the bride in a fancy frame on an easel right before your walk into the sanctuary. Then the bride usually takes the giant portrait and hangs it up in her house. IMHO, it's super attention-whorish and I'm not a fan, but I know it's traditional in some places so whatever.

I'm curious though, if you aren't using the portrait to display, why are you getting them done before the wedding? Why not do them before the ceremony?
    I grew up in the south, had a bridal portrait done but didn't display the portrait.  I only ever saw a portrait displayed at one wedding. I think the idea was that the groom didn't see the bride in her dress before the wedding AND photography was less extravagant (film not digital, no traveling to different spots, less than 100 shots taken) back then. So in order to have a nicely posed picture that showcased the dress, a portrait session was held. Now with the advent of digital,first looks, and multiple shooting locations, bridal portraits are often done the day of the wedding.
  • I live in the south and still have never heard of that! To each his own, but it is definitely not something I would do. 

I am not sure if I'll have any time to take bridal portraits on the day of, before or after the ceremony. I can see if it fits into the scheduling but I really don't think so. I'd rather have it done before hand. 
  • justsie said:
    k&n62517 said:
    Hi!

Thanks!
    Nail salons around here charge less for just a polish change than for a full manicure. I imagine it would be the same for a touch-up.

I spit out my tea at work at the bolded.  Totally agree - I had no idea that this was even a thing until I had a coworker from Texas originally.
  • Hey everyone! OP here. I thought about everything said here and am trying to see if I can fit my bridal portraits into the day of the wedding. 

To do that, how long before the ceremony should I start them?