Luxury Weddings

Luxury car rental expectations

You know when you stay at a 5 star hotel, they always have that little je ne sais quoi after doing the evening room service (chocolate, flower, candy, etc.).

Would you expect the same when renting a luxury car for your wedding (Rolls, Bentley, AM, etc)? Driver handing you a little je ne sais quoi or that little something inside of the car? 

A friend of mine is getting married and has been getting quotes from different luxury car hire businesses. They all pretty much offer the standard stuff (champagne, red carpet, ribbon, etc.) but not one mentioned anything 'special.' 

Would you expect something? If they all offer pretty much the same thing and the rates do not vary significantly, what is to sway you as a bride? Surely someone goes out of their way no? I couldn't believe that not one would hand out something to make the bride/groom smile. After all, it's  all in the small details right? Or have I just been spoiled too much at lux hotels?!?!? lol 

What are your thoughts?

Re: Luxury car rental expectations

• You know when you stay at a 5 star hotel, they always have that little je ne sais quoi after doing the evening room service (chocolate, flower, candy, etc.).

Would you expect the same when renting a luxury car for your wedding (Rolls, Bentley, AM, etc)? Driver handing you a little je ne sais quoi or that little something inside of the car? 

A friend of mine is getting married and has been getting quotes from different luxury car hire businesses. They all pretty much offer the standard stuff (champagne, red carpet, ribbon, etc.) but not one mentioned anything 'special.' 

Would you expect something? If they all offer pretty much the same thing and the rates do not vary significantly, what is to sway you as a bride? Surely someone goes out of their way no? I couldn't believe that not one would hand out something to make the bride/groom smile. After all, it's  all in the small details right? Or have I just been spoiled too much at lux hotels?!?!? lol 

What are your thoughts?

When you stay at a luxury hotel, the things you are describing are part of a turn down service. They don't see you coming and think "I should leave some chocolates on her pillow!" Of course there are times when employees/businesses go out of their way, but what you are describing is part of a service you have paid for. Don't expect anything else. You are just a bride and groom, like every other bride and groom who has rented a luxury car service. 

• Shhh you guys!! You're totally bursting her bubble. Just let her keep thinking that she's getting these things that nobody else is.
  • Great crowd lol As mentioned, not my wedding a simple question that did not need such bitter answers. Y'all need a chill pill 
  • Great crowd lol As mentioned, not my wedding a simple question that did not need such bitter answers. Y'all need a chill pill 
    You think we need a chill pill, maybe you needed a dose of reality.
  • What would you expect?

The couple is renting a car to take them from A to B; what else is there? Shouldn't the car itself make the B&G smile?
  • Dammit ... Porsche did not provide any extras. Do I get a re-do?
  • It's not a nice little surprise if they tell you about it up front! 
  • jacques27 said:
    Where is the Inigo gif?  Because you keep using that phrase and I don't think it means what you think it means.

I believe the word you are looking for is lagniappe.

Most of the stuff you are talking about is either built into the price and listed on the contract or available as an extra for a price.  You sign contracts and get exactly what you agree to.   Anything else that is truly a small extra?  Well, no, I don't expect it.   Because it's a bonus.  It's not required.  That's the definition (of lagniappe, not je ne sais quoi).  Anything else you get is a gift and you don't go in with the expectation that people give you gifts.  That's gauche.

ETA:  Here it is...

I don't think she cares what the phrase means, just how it sounds. A little pretentiousness goes a long way.
  • geebee908 said:
    I don't think she cares what the phrase means, just how it sounds. A little pretentiousness goes a long way.
    I got the impression that she just learned that phrase and wanted to use it as much as possible.
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited October 2016
    One thing I wish we had done differently at daughter's wedding was to rent a chauffeured car to transport the bride and groom from the church to the reception, and then back to the church parking lot to pick up the groom's car after the reception.  It was very hot on their wedding day, and driving in a hot car was uncomfortable for them.  We only cared about the bottom line, and $550 was the best price we could find in DC.  We certainly didn't care about chocolates or champagne.  Caviar in July heat?  Ugh!  These little extras sound silly, at least to me.  Very high school prom.

I know some people care about luxury cars, but we do not appreciate them.  I have a friend who owns a Rolls Royce, and I just don't get it.  My favorite car (from the Dark Ages) was a Lincoln Continental that was built like a bus, but rode like a dream, with lots of room.  I needed it for business back then.  JMHO.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • CMGragain said:
    One thing I wish we had done differently at daughter's wedding was to rent a chauffeured car to transport the bride and groom ...
    To me it's not about the luxury car, it's about the driver (and a/c or heat)!

We're getting married in London, and I am perfectly content with taxis (and not even the fancy Uber ones, the plain city type are fine by me!)

In most parts of the US though, it's luxury car or nothing if you want the driver.
  • lyndausvi said:
    sex toys

OMG, my pearls!  I chocked on my tea when I read this!  LOL!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I think your friend should rely on the reviews to make her selection. In my experience the extras you are looking for come after a sizable tip has been given. I would go with the highest rated company and if these extras are so important to the experience supply them for your friend and tip the driver handsomely to ensure they enjoy them. 
  • Well, if champagne isn't special enough, maybe you could request Romulan ale?
  • edited January 2017
    Lurking through some of these threads and realizing ya'll some *removed for TOS violation* that have been married decades ago. I guess your marriages are not very happy. Woops. 

Oh, oh, I forgot my gif: 

*cue snarky bitchiness below*

• edited January 2017
  • Red carpet to get into a car?! This far less Royal Wedding and far more my big fat Gypsey Wedding. 

What at are you expecting? Chocolates? Caviar? 

Frankly if you finish a glass of champagne and want more, your distance between your ceremony and venue is too much.  

I hate to break it to you, whilst Rolls Royce/ Bently hire is nice, they're a bit common at weddings. Not to say they're bad, just that almost  every wedding I've been to has had one. It's like a photobooth- nice but not unique. And something I wouldn't classify as a signifier of a high-end wedding. It isn't exactly a super luxury wedding item. 

And they put chocolate on your pillow at the Hilton, not exactly exclusive to the Dorchester or the Goring. 

This whole post screams of wannabe new money tackiness. Newsflash, if you have to hire the rolls, you're not in the 0.000001% bracket that gets special treatment. 

Oh shiiiiiiiit, move over ladies, badass LondonLisa has entered the game.

• @Jells2dot0 Can we close this thread? The OP hasn't been active since the post in October 2016.
  • levioosalevioosa member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2017
    Personally, I'm proud of being a Nasty Woman.  

ETA: Bets on whether or not this is an AE of OP?

• Lurking through some of these threads and realizing ya'll some *removed for TOS violation* that have been married decades ago. I guess your marriages are not very happy. Woops. 

Oh, oh, I forgot my gif: 

*cue snarky bitchiness below*

Starting my bingo card... bitches? check. unhappy marriages? check. Overly sensitive, but slinging mud? check. 

Get some new material, sweetheart. Actually, no..keep it up. This should be fun.

Woof.