Wedding Invitations & Paper

Together with our families wording - help!

I currently have my invites saying: "Together with our families, we invite you to celebrate the marriage of [Bride First Last] to [Groom First Last]". Is this strange? The template on minted had it worded with parents names inviting the guests but this is a together with our families kind of wedding so I changed it. But now I'm wondering if it doesn't make sense? I'm trying to avoid asking the designer to make too many changes but it may be unavoidable. 

Thanks in advance for your feedback?

Re: Together with our families wording - help!

• I used Minted for our STD's and invitations. I had to make several changes with the design (not due to their error) and I did it several times. It took time. Once you get going on it, they respond back within 24 hours with your changes, and if you keep on top of it, you can get it done. Knowing the time frame it took to get this done when I did the STD's, I planned accordingly with the invitations. I guess what I am saying is don't be afraid to use it.

*Sorry, that was a bit off-topic..

• Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited January 2017
    If you're inviting your guests to the actual wedding ceremony, the correct wording is

Together with their families
    Bride 
    and
    Groom
    request the pleasure of your company*
    as they are united in marriage
    on Day, Date
    Year
    Venue Name
    Venue Address
    City, State/Country

Reception to follow**

*If the ceremony is at a house of worship, substitute "request the honor of your presence" here.

**If your ceremony and reception are at different locations, use a separate reception card worded as follows:

Reception
    Immediately following the ceremony
    Venue Name
    Venue Address
    City, State/Country

If you are inviting your guests to the ceremony, don't call your event a "celebration of marriage" because that wording implies that the ceremony has already taken place.
  • Together with their families
    Bride's Full Name
    and
    Groom's Full Name
    request the pleasure of your company
    as they are united in marriage
    Saturday, the twenty-second of July
    two thousand seventeen
    at six o'clock
    Venue name
    123 Maple Street
    Anytown, Iowa
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2017
    I currently have my invites saying: "Together with our families, we invite you to celebrate the marriage of [Bride First Last] to [Groom First Last]". Is this strange? The template on minted had it worded with parents names inviting the guests but this is a together with our families kind of wedding so I changed it. But now I'm wondering if it doesn't make sense? I'm trying to avoid asking the designer to make too many changes but it may be unavoidable. 

I just re-read your original post.  Is this a wedding invitation?  Or is it a celebration of a marriage that has already taken place?  Very confusing!

Usually when someone uses the "Together with their families" wording it is because the family situation is just too complicated to list all the parents as hosts, though this can certainly be done.  Is this why you want this wording?
    I would be happy to help you with more traditional wording if you wish.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I currently have my invites saying: "Together with our families, we invite you to celebrate the marriage of [Bride First Last] to [Groom First Last]". Is this strange? The template on minted had it worded with parents names inviting the guests but this is a together with our families kind of wedding so I changed it. But now I'm wondering if it doesn't make sense? I'm trying to avoid asking the designer to make too many changes but it may be unavoidable. 

I don't mind the "celebration of marriage" language; I would assume I'm being invited to a ceremony and reception as the default. It's not the wording that flows perfectly in my mind, but if it's the phrasing you prefer that's cool.

The trouble right now, though, is that your phrasing is grammatically incorrect. If you want to keep the meat the same but make it flow better, it should read, "Together with their Families, BRIDE and GROOM invite you to celebrate their marriage at TIME on DATE, blah blah blah". 
  • We want the "together with our families" wording because from what I have seen is that this phrase is used when the couple is paying for the wedding with some help from parents. We are paying for the majority of our wedding so we do not want to list out our parents names on the invitations. We also felt that listing our parents names was pretty formal and we are not having a formal wedding.

The 'celebrate the marriage of' wording is just the default that Minted had so I was trying to avoid complications by changing it. But no, a ceremony has not already taken place - this is the invite 
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2017
    Fine!  If you are hosting your own wedding, this would be the traditional wording:

The pleasure of your company is requested
    at the marriage of
    Bride's Full Name
    and
    Groom's Full Name
    Saturday, the twenty-second of July
    two thousand seventeen
    at six o'clock
    Venue Name
    123 Maple Street
    Anytown, Iowa

"Together with their families" is not traditional, but there is nothing wrong with it.
    The parents are not "listed" on an invitation.  The HOSTS are the ones who appear at the top of the invitation.  Hosting does not necessarily mean paying, but I think someone already mentioned that in another post.
    The bride and groom never directly take credit for hosting their own wedding on the invitation unless it is the "Together with their families" wording.

The formality of your ceremony should be indicated by the design and style of your invitation. Traditional wording does not mean it is a formal wedding.

There are lots of companies who make wedding invitations.  They are in business to make money.  They are not etiquette or wording experts.  One of my favorite recommended companies - Vistaprint.com - has horrible wording suggestions The only company I trust for wording is Crane's.  They have been in the invitation business for more than 200 years.
    I'm so glad you came here, first, before ordering your invitations.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • We want the "together with our families" wording because from what I have seen is that this phrase is used when the couple is paying for the wedding with some help from parents. We are paying for the majority of our wedding so we do not want to list out our parents names on the invitations. We also felt that listing our parents names was pretty formal and we are not having a formal wedding.

The 'celebrate the marriage of' wording is just the default that Minted had so I was trying to avoid complications by changing it. But no, a ceremony has not already taken place - this is the invite 
    Wedding invitation wording has nothing to do with who is paying, which is none of the guests' business.

If your parents are performing actual hosting duties (issuing invitations, greeting guests, making arrangements to meet the guests' needs), then their names belong on the invitation as hosts; if not, then they don't. 

Regardless of what Minted has, the correct wording is given in our answers above. "Celebration" is to be used when the ceremony has already taken place and the guests are being invited only to a party that takes place on a subsequent day.
  • Yes, we are performing the actual hosting duties of sending out invites and helping to make arrangements so we are the hosts. This is super helpful - thank you everyone!