Attire & Accessories Forum

How Did You Customize Your Bridal Gown

What changes did you make for your wedding gown? How much should a bride expect to be paying for these alterations?

Re: How Did You Customize Your Bridal Gown

• Tia&Dre said:
    What changes did you make for your wedding gown? How much should a bride expect to be paying for these alterations?
    I think this will depend on your body type and the dress that you select. I had very few alterations, I ordered it at the length I needed and only had to take the sleeves in a touch and add a bustle. Other styles of dresses may have required more work on my body type. When you find a dress you like, see what areas are going to need to be fixed then and see if the place has a seamstress available to talk about pricing, or go home and research how much that would cost but calling seamstresses in the area
  • The biggest modification I made was adding accessories. I really wanted to wear a purple beaded belt, so I did. Otherwise, I just added a bustle and wore crinoline.

What type of modifications are you thinking of?

• Tia&DreTia&Dre member
    First Comment
    edited January 2017
    Illusion neckline, hem, take in, change from A line to a mermaid...it's  a lot, I feel. But I'm really unsure in whether to buy a dress again.
  • Hi Ahyatt. I'm  fuller in the hips as well and I've  been debating on whether or not to alter a dress I hot when I was expecting. It's fairly plain but pretty. I'd like to change the silouhette to a Mermaid style, add an illusion neckline, possibly sleeves, and a sash. I don't  want to spend anymore than $600. What do you think of this idea?
  • I agree with CMG. That is a lot of altering to do on a dress and doubt you could get it done for $600. Alterations are usually very expensive and some of what you are wanting to do is more complicated than hemming and letting out/taking in.
  • I didn't change anything about my dress design or add anything to it (outside of jewelry). Minor alterations for fit and that was it. My alterations costs something like $270-300. I don't recall exactly.
    *********************************************************************************

• THANKS LADIES.
  • I didn't change anything on my dress.  I only needed a hem and permanent bustle.  It cost me about $45.     My sister didn't change anything, but needed alterations and it cost her some $400 (and that was 20 years ago).

This is not one size fits all answer.  It depends on your what you want done and where you live.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • If the changes you want to make would make you like your dress more, the seamstress or tailor at the store you bought your dress at could give you a good idea of what's possible and how much it would cost.

My favorite thing about your dress (which is really pretty!) is the draping pattern top and bottom and the way they meet at the belt.  I feel like sleeves and A-line to mermaid may compromise that.  At the end of the day your dress should make you happy though...checking with a seamstress to see if your proposed changes are possible is a good first step.
  • My alterations were a little over $200 and that was to add a bustle and hem.
  • I added straps with material from hemming the bottom of my dress. It cost me $200 total.

I think what you are proposing is a lot and you may be able to find something you like with many of those features for less than the dress + alterations would cost.

• Since you are thinking about changing the structure of the dress, my guess is that it will be quite expensive. Alterations are costly when they are fairly routine (e.g., bring it in/let it out slightly at the waist, hemming, adding a bustle, etc.). You may want to consider getting a quote from a trusted seamstress and then decide whether or not the cost is worth it to you, or if you would prefer to purchase a dress that already is the mermaid shape you are interested in. Good luck!
  • MandyMostMandyMost member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited February 2017
    Changing from an A-line to a mermaid is a pretty fundamental structural change that I think would likely cost a lot if it's even possible. You could check with a good seamstress to be sure.

Lots of people who are interested in sleeves sometimes buy a bolero jacket and have it attached to the dress. There are also lace "tops" that can often be purchased and sewn onto strapless dresses. http://www.davidsbridal.com/Product_tulle-topper-with-lace-appliques-wg150_all-accessories

Edit: these are called "toppers". David's Bridal has a bunch of options. 
  • Yeah, I think if you want a mermaid gown, you need to buy a mermaid gown.  The way your gown is styled, it's not going to be easy to convert it and I think it would ruin it.  Much cheaper to start over and resell your current gown.