Honeymoon Discussions

Honeymoon Ideas?

I don't post on here much but...FH and I have the SLIGHTEST clue of where we want to go on our HM. We are getting married on October 28th. We do know we want to stay occupied where-ever we go, FH would like a beach (I don't care either way), and we can't spend a huge amount due to us paying for the majority of our wedding. Does anyone have any recommendations? They would greatly be appreciated. We've thrown around Disney, and just Florida in general, Gatlinburg-Pigeon Forge, a cruise, and Sandals resorts. This is the only part of our wedding I haven't figured out yet! Thanks in advance!

Re: Honeymoon Ideas?

• LondonLisaLondonLisa member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2017
    I don't post on here much but...FH and I have the SLIGHTEST clue of where we want to go on our HM. We are getting married on October 28th. We do know we want to stay occupied where-ever we go, FH would like a beach (I don't care either way), and we can't spend a huge amount due to us paying for the majority of our wedding. Does anyone have any recommendations? They would greatly be appreciated. We've thrown around Disney, and just Florida in general, Gatlinburg-Pigeon Forge, a cruise, and Sandals resorts. This is the only part of our wedding I haven't figured out yet! Thanks in advance!
    I don't know the areas, but you will get better responses if you post your budget, city of departure and how many days you have. To some people a 'huge amount' is 500 and to others it is 10,000 so it's better to be specific. 

I will say that I have a mate who just got back from Puerto Rico and said it was amazing- lots of history, beautiful old forts and great beaches. 

• I don't post on here much but...FH and I have the SLIGHTEST clue of where we want to go on our HM. We are getting married on October 28th. We do know we want to stay occupied where-ever we go, FH would like a beach (I don't care either way), and we can't spend a huge amount due to us paying for the majority of our wedding. Does anyone have any recommendations? They would greatly be appreciated. We've thrown around Disney, and just Florida in general, Gatlinburg-Pigeon Forge, a cruise, and Sandals resorts. This is the only part of our wedding I haven't figured out yet! Thanks in advance!
    I don't know the areas, but you will get better responses if you post your budget, city of departure and how many days you have. To some people a 'huge amount' is 500 and to others it is 10,000 so it's better to be specific. 

I will say that I have a mate who just got back from Puerto Rico and said it was amazing- lots of history, beautiful old forts and great beaches. 

Ditto PP...also your wedding falls during hurricane season for most of the Atlantic seaboard including Florida, Puerto Rico, Caribbean (minus the ABC islands - Aruba, Bonaire, & Curacao), so if you are planning on taking your honeymoon right after your wedding, you may want to take weather into account when narrowing down your HM destination. 
  • You say you want to stay occupied but also mention a beach. Does that mean not an all inclusive? I would advise against making any active reservations that cost money to cancel- you may very well want to just relax on the beach and do nothing for a day or two after your wedding/traveling. Then plan excursions once you get there and see what's available, how you both are feeling.

Remember to consult a doctor about carribean vacations if you plan on having children right away.

• Thank you ladies for the input. I'll just research more places and see what sticks out to FH. I'm not hard to please. I love to travel so any place is pretty much good with me. 
  • @CajunBride102817, please answer the posters questions.  We would like to help you.  We don't know where you are located.  California?  NOLA?  Florida?  We don't know your budget, either.
    I often suggest cruises.  There are constant activities on board the ship when it is at sea, and you are at a different location for shore days, so there is always something to do.  Cruises are most-inclusive (not alcohol or tips) and they are very budget friendly.  Carnival sails out of NOLA and Florida, and has some nice shorter cruises.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • We are located in TN so we're leaving from here. Duration of our honeymoon will be 5-6 days (depending on where we choose). Budget wise, we are trying to stay below $3,000 (not including spending money) We looked at a Carnival Cruise out of NOLA but FH CANNOT make up his mind and the other night, said he didn't want to do a cruise. So I said okay, that's out. I'm wanting to try a Sandals resort for the fact that it's all inclusive but I can't get him to bite on ANYTHING. I guess it's safe to say I'm getting a little frustrated bc I can't get a straight answer out of him. Like @lnixon8 said "stay occupied, but mention a beach"..this is what he's telling me. When he said stay occupied, I mentioned Disney; me thinking "okay, do a different park each day, throw universal in there, etc." His response was "Really? You REALLY want to do Disney??" Then I mentioned NYC bc we both have never been before and there's a ton of things to do. His response was "too many people." I'm trying to tell him all inclusive is the way to go. You have things to do plus the beach as well. I'm just about to say screw it and take his butt to Nashville, which is about 2 hours from where we are..just bc I have no clue what else to suggest. Sorry for the lengthy post but I hope I answered all of your questions. 
  • We are located in TN so we're leaving from here. Duration of our honeymoon will be 5-6 days (depending on where we choose). Budget wise, we are trying to stay below $3,000 (not including spending money) We looked at a Carnival Cruise out of NOLA but FH CANNOT make up his mind and the other night, said he didn't want to do a cruise. So I said okay, that's out. I'm wanting to try a Sandals resort for the fact that it's all inclusive but I can't get him to bite on ANYTHING. I guess it's safe to say I'm getting a little frustrated bc I can't get a straight answer out of him. Like @lnixon8 said "stay occupied, but mention a beach"..this is what he's telling me. When he said stay occupied, I mentioned Disney; me thinking "okay, do a different park each day, throw universal in there, etc." His response was "Really? You REALLY want to do Disney??" Then I mentioned NYC bc we both have never been before and there's a ton of things to do. His response was "too many people." I'm trying to tell him all inclusive is the way to go. You have things to do plus the beach as well. I'm just about to say screw it and take his butt to Nashville, which is about 2 hours from where we are..just bc I have no clue what else to suggest. Sorry for the lengthy post but I hope I answered all of your questions. 
    You two really are all over the place lol! It's good you have some sort of budget but you do need to buckle down on your "spending money". Spending money in NYC ($14 for a rail mixed drink!) for literally. every. little. thing. for 6 days is much different than $20 on a fake designer bag/souvenir and $100 to swim with dolphins but the rest is taken care of in Jamaica.

I just got back from vacation (las vegas, san diego, LA) and if you do choose Nashville or NYC I recommend getting a hotel with a free breakfast. Residence Inn by Marriott or embassy suites are reasonably priced, clean (all the ones we stayed in at least!) and you wont be shelling out $20 just for starbucks/dunkin donuts every morning, which adds up quickly! 

• For 6 days and $3,000, I'd suggest:

- Florida Keys
    - Myrtle Beach
    - Outer Banks

If you want to go international, you might have good luck with a Groupon for an all inclusive resort in Mexico or the Dominican. 
    *********************************************************************************

• I like the Puerto Rico idea.  

It's a super easy trip for a reluctant traveler, since you don't have to use passports, get visas, or even change money.  There are warm beaches to relax on and plenty of more active things to do--nature related activities outside the cities and cultural activities within them.  There is also great nightlife if that's your thing.  

Also, it's a very affordable option.  Flights for your approximate dates are under $300 each round trip.  Luxury hotels are roughly $250 a night, and mid-range will be half that. Overall, this is a trip that could easily be done under $3K including spending money.

Also, I'll put this out there for the record: I don't think all inclusives are worth it. I have lots of opinions and I am happy to help people select AI resorts, since I used to do that for a living and I know how popular they are and which ones clients raved about.  But I'm not personally a fan.  I, myself believe that it is a hugely limiting way to experience a new place.  You either stay at the resort all day to get your money's worth out of the huge price you are paying for food and drink, or you pay even more to go elsewhere and double-pay for the meals and drinks.  Great for the hotels and tour companies, less great for the travelers. 
  • @CajunBride102817 I was going to suggest Cape Canaveral.  There are a lot of options to rent other people's vacation homes.  There is a beach, and Disney/Universal (HARRY POTTER LAND) is less than an hour away.  It could be a good compromise for you both in the future (and should be driving distance for you.  We drive it from the Midwest).  

We are going to the DR on our honeymoon as well!  I hear it's beautiful.  

• Thank all of you for the input. We've decided on the Dominican Republic. Plus my Aunt offered to let us use her timeshare there so it was hard to pass up... :) 
    Yay for making a decision; where in DR? I've been all over the island so happy to help with recommendations. 
  • We're going to Punta Cana! So excited! :)@charlotte989875
  • .@knottie1749c8e7394bdab2, advertising is not allowed on these boards. You've been reported.