Flowers

Tell me if I'm being ridiculous

In an effort to save money (I hope) I was going to do my own centerpieces. My idea was to build small flower boxes, paint them and what not, and grow low growing daisies in them. Then when wedding time is over I can just plant them outside. 

1. Is this the dumbest thing ever? I have the time and energy to do it, and wood to build the boxes.
2. The daisy variety I was going to grow is apparently considered a weed in North America. Are people going to think I planted weeds on my tables?
3. What are the drawbacks? They would be grown indoors so most if not all bugs and worms and what not would not be present.

Feel free to tell me this is terrible. I have a lot of other ideas (not involving flowers) but I thought this would be the easiest and least expensive. I'm going to build a box this weekend if anyone needs a visual.

Re: Tell me if I'm being ridiculous

• I don't think this is a terrible idea at all. Since daisies come back year after year and multiply, it sounds like a really cool way to preserve memories from your wedding. And if you ever move, you can just divide some and take them with you.

I love the idea. But I only think this will work if you're proficient with indoor gardening. And I'd have a plan B in case they die right before the wedding. 

To make them look less weedy, you could buy some baby's breath and use it as a filler on the sides to camouflage the stems/weedy looking part. 
    I've been looking into baby's breath as well, it just looks like it might be tough to grow, although maybe I can buy some and just lay it in the box as filler.

My plan is to plant a box, see how it does, and then plant the rest, and from what I've been learning I still have a month or two to plant indoors, but if I have to I can plant out doors and transplant in early spring next year. I'd like to think I'm pretty proficient but that's why I'm doing my trial run now! :smile:

• I think this is okay and different from brides that want to do all their own flowers with cut flowers. This is something that can be done in advance and daisies aren't that hard to grow.

I think a trial is a good idea to see how it looks and if you are happy with it. Just make sure to have a backup if things are going the way you hoped ... and a back up could be nothing. Centerpieces are a nice to have but many guests don't even remember.

• This is actually what we did! My dad built the boxes and we painted them white. We planted half with white roses to signify Leeds (where H is from) and the other half in heathers from Scotland, but daisys sound lovely! At the end of the night we told anyone who wanted one to take it home with them, only a few took us up on it and we have all the rest in the garden now. I was really pleased with them, so I don't think your idea is ridiculous at all! Are you growing them and then replanting in your boxes?

• The plan is to grow them in the boxes. Where I live isn't ideal to grow flowers outside, although I think daisies would probably still grow, we have a lot of wildlife and they may get eaten. If I grow them inside in the boxes I can control them a little more. Something I'm concerned about is drainage, but maybe I'll just get a pretty tray to go underneath and no one will notice.

@glasgowtolondon do you have any photos?
  • The plan is to grow them in the boxes. Where I live isn't ideal to grow flowers outside, although I think daisies would probably still grow, we have a lot of wildlife and they may get eaten. If I grow them inside in the boxes I can control them a little more. Something I'm concerned about is drainage, but maybe I'll just get a pretty tray to go underneath and no one will notice.

Do you know why they're considered a weed?  Sometimes it's because they're an invasive species, so I would double check (if you haven't already) to ensure that's not the case.  Assuming you're in the clear there, I say go for it.
  • Heffalump said:
    The plan is to grow them in the boxes. Where I live isn't ideal to grow flowers outside, although I think daisies would probably still grow, we have a lot of wildlife and they may get eaten. If I grow them inside in the boxes I can control them a little more. Something I'm concerned about is drainage, but maybe I'll just get a pretty tray to go underneath and no one will notice.

Do you know why they're considered a weed?  Sometimes it's because they're an invasive species, so I would double check (if you haven't already) to ensure that's not the case.  Assuming you're in the clear there, I say go for it.
    I was just about to comment.. I can't find any! They are an invasive species, so I got to thinking I wouldn't probably replant. However, since I can't find any to plan to begin with I picked up some forget-me-nots and some other small low growing white flower that I'm going to try. I may have to find a different way to incorporate some daisies.

Another bump- Mom vetoed having the planters on the tables. She thinks they'll be dirty, so she wants me to grow (or buy) the flowers and then transfer them a few days before, which means I need twice as many planters, more dirt, and more time, OR cut the flowers and put them in little jars. I'm going to chat with her in two weeks and show her my sample and see what happens.
  • Heffalump said:
    The plan is to grow them in the boxes. Where I live isn't ideal to grow flowers outside, although I think daisies would probably still grow, we have a lot of wildlife and they may get eaten. If I grow them inside in the boxes I can control them a little more. Something I'm concerned about is drainage, but maybe I'll just get a pretty tray to go underneath and no one will notice.

I was just about to comment.. I can't find any! They are an invasive species, so I got to thinking I wouldn't probably replant. However, since I can't find any to plan to begin with I picked up some forget-me-nots and some other small low growing white flower that I'm going to try. I may have to find a different way to incorporate some daisies.

Another bump- Mom vetoed having the planters on the tables. She thinks they'll be dirty, so she wants me to grow (or buy) the flowers and then transfer them a few days before, which means I need twice as many planters, more dirt, and more time, OR cut the flowers and put them in little jars. I'm going to chat with her in two weeks and show her my sample and see what happens.
    Holy complicated!

If your mom is paying for the wedding, fine, work with her on this. If she's not, do what you want and don't complicate things. 
    *********************************************************************************

• She's stopping for a visit in two weeks, I think we might just be miscommunicating on what I'm talking about, but we will see. I just dont need 87 (sarcasm) little jars with dead flowers floating around after the wedding, hence the planter boxes. I can still use those!
  • Heffalump said:

Try alyssum in the planters. It does tend to take over, so a little goes a long way.
  • IMO - go to the greenhouse the Wednesday before your wedding, purchase something nice that's in bloom/season and just pop them into the centerpiece and be done with it.  You'll ultimately be money and frustration ahead.  Unless you've got a greenhouse available to you, growing them yourself is going to be a huge PITA and challenge.  
  • MesmrEwe said:
    IMO - go to the greenhouse the Wednesday before your wedding, purchase something nice that's in bloom/season and just pop them into the centerpiece and be done with it.  You'll ultimately be money and frustration ahead.  Unless you've got a greenhouse available to you, growing them yourself is going to be a huge PITA and challenge.  
    I don't have a green house, I do have a sun room which has a green house effect (most of the time) but I'm not against this idea. I will probably hit the flower shop around wedding time this year and see what's available.
  • MesmrEwe said:
    IMO - go to the greenhouse the Wednesday before your wedding, purchase something nice that's in bloom/season and just pop them into the centerpiece and be done with it.  You'll ultimately be money and frustration ahead.  Unless you've got a greenhouse available to you, growing them yourself is going to be a huge PITA and challenge.  
    I don't have a green house, I do have a sun room which has a green house effect (most of the time) but I'm not against this idea. I will probably hit the flower shop around wedding time this year and see what's available.
    By "Greenhouse" I meant "Flower shop that has a formal greenhouse with plants for sale attached" - not DIY, it's too much of a PITA and too many variables to try to grow your own!
  • MesmrEwe said:
    MesmrEwe said:
    By "Greenhouse" I meant "Flower shop that has a formal greenhouse with plants for sale attached" - not DIY, it's too much of a PITA and too many variables to try to grow your own!
    I know what you mean. Many people in my area do have their own greenhouses for veggie growing, so I guess I thought you were asking if I had my own hobby green house. But yes, I'm going to check the flower shop. I'm going to start one box, see what happens, and apply it to next year. Worst case, I run to Michaels and pick up some flickering candles and some potted plants from Costco and call it a day.
  • I love this idea! If you're confident you can make it look lovely I'd go for it! I think we may use our pew end posies as centre pieces on the tables but not sure if that will work as pew end posies are all rather one sided?! Anyway, yes- do it - sounds great!! :) X
  • Great idea!