Wedding Woes

Monday!

Re: Monday!

• Morning all.

Super disappointed that the Falcons lost last night. It was a good game though! I went and hung out with my best friends and their families at one of their houses. We had a blast. Probably had a little too much wine, but hey, it was Superbowl Sunday!

The weekend was a rollercoaster of emotions. One of my best friends (whose house I was at last night) is in the process of adoption. Her family was chosen by a birth mom about 2 months ago. They got a call late Friday night that the birth mom had her baby, so they needed to be ready to go to the hospital. She spent all day Saturday packing and cleaning, and got a call Saturday afternoon saying the birth mom changed her mind and wanted to keep the baby. So we all went from super excited to devastated in a matter of minutes. My friend and her H are crushed. Of course they're still going to adopt, but they had been preparing for this baby for 2 months. They had a nursery ready for him and everything. It's just sad for them.

Other than that, the weekend was pretty uneventful. Grocery shopping, church, the usual. I weighed myself yesterday and I have lost 7 lbs total so far. I'm super proud of myself. I can sit with my legs crossed again for the first time in I don't even know how long. The pants I have on today are actually a little loose. I feel stronger. It's crazy! I actually look forward to working out when I get home at night. That's something I've never been able to say.

• I'm due March 20th, so I still have about a month & a half to go.  But its flying so quick!  Most people say it drags on, but not for me - so far anyway!  I even only have 4 weeks of work left!
    YAY for March babies!!  DefConn's a March baby, as is @6fsn's M2.  :D 
  • @thefanciestbeckler I'm so sorry for your friends, that had to be absolutely crushing.

But congrats on the 7 lbs!!  You lost what I gained back haha.

@OliveOilsMom the countdown is on!!
  • @OliveOilsMom  do you think you're gonna make it to due date? Also yay for that date :) That is M and my 6yr dating anniversary

• The weekend was a rollercoaster of emotions. One of my best friends (whose house I was at last night) is in the process of adoption. Her family was chosen by a birth mom about 2 months ago. They got a call late Friday night that the birth mom had her baby, so they needed to be ready to go to the hospital. She spent all day Saturday packing and cleaning, and got a call Saturday afternoon saying the birth mom changed her mind and wanted to keep the baby. So we all went from super excited to devastated in a matter of minutes. My friend and her H are crushed. Of course they're still going to adopt, but they had been preparing for this baby for 2 months. They had a nursery ready for him and everything. It's just sad for them.

Oh your poor friends.  How terrible!  :(  I hope they get their forever baby sooner than later.   

That happened to a radio DJ here and his recounting on air and his wife's blog was crushing.  It's not just that you're entangled emotionally, but also financially.  

• I did get to price a box of newborn diapers. We've been reviewing budget before TTC so that way we know what to expect on things. It's a big life change, and I just want to be prepared for what I can {fyi - box of 186 diapers for $32.75 - i think it was on sale though}

@MissKittyDanger - you'll probably go through 186 diapers in ~2 weeks with a newborn. just FYI. 

I used to get mine through Amazon, and it was cheaper than the stores, unless there was a ridiculous sale. This was also ~5 years ago, so this was in early days of prime/amazon mom/subscribe and save - so the deals may not be as good now. 

You should probably also compare prices across brands - some kids will be more sensitive and get more rashes/have issues with different brands or formulations. We almost always got pampers swaddlers - but when she hit a size 3, she started getting awful diaper rashes with them. So we assumed it was probably an allergic reaction to something and switched her to the cruisers, and she was ok. 
  • I can't decide whether to work out at lunch, or take myself out to lunch.  I'm still dragging, and I can't decide whether working out will give me some pep, or make it worse.  WWWWD?
  • It's Monday...work out, @Heffalump.  Because you're going to want to skip another day (probably Friday).  :D 
  • mrsconn23 said:
    It's Monday...work out, @Heffalump.  Because you're going to want to skip another day (probably Friday).  :D 

Excellent point.
    Counterpoint: Cook Out has chicken strips.

• @thefanciestbeckler that's so awful and devastating for your friends!

@Heffalump can you walk somewhere to buy lunch? That way you can get a workout in and treat yourself?
  • @*Barbie* yeh we kinda figured it would be close to that {people keep saying a box per week} but even $32 every 2 weeks isn't horrible and Walmart typically has coupons for a bunch of sizes
  • @Heffalump  is there a way to workout then have chicken strips?
  • I'm trying to get motivated to do things but it's raining and damn the house is cozy. I need to get my birth control filled, but when I looked at my cvs app it said the prescription needed to be renewed and I am so damn irritated that I need a renewal for a bcp that I've been taking successfully for four years. Or that I need a renewal at all. So now I have to call the doctor and ask if she can write me a script without seeing me. Ugh. 

This weekend was okay. We went on a couple of good walks and I made enchiladas. We're trying to cut back and save money, so hopefully the enchiladas last us half the week. We didn't watch the super bowl at all. Lol. Kitten decided she wanted to sleep all day yesterday and then become a night terror demon, so we didn't get much sleep. That's also probably adding to my lazy attitude today. A nap already sounds good. Lol

• *Barbie* said:

I did get to price a box of newborn diapers. We've been reviewing budget before TTC so that way we know what to expect on things. It's a big life change, and I just want to be prepared for what I can {fyi - box of 186 diapers for $32.75 - i think it was on sale though}

@MissKittyDanger - you'll probably go through 186 diapers in ~2 weeks with a newborn. just FYI. 

I used to get mine through Amazon, and it was cheaper than the stores, unless there was a ridiculous sale. This was also ~5 years ago, so this was in early days of prime/amazon mom/subscribe and save - so the deals may not be as good now. 

You should probably also compare prices across brands - some kids will be more sensitive and get more rashes/have issues with different brands or formulations. We almost always got pampers swaddlers - but when she hit a size 3, she started getting awful diaper rashes with them. So we assumed it was probably an allergic reaction to something and switched her to the cruisers, and she was ok. 
    All of this.  Also, you need to have the next size up on hand because kids grow like weeds and a diaper that worked one day, they'll be peeing out of it the next.  Plus, DefConn *always* sized up in diapers.  If a diaper was meant for a 25lb+ kid, he'd need it when he was 22lbs.  

When DefConn was in diapers, Target was the best price per diaper.  Plus with the 5%, coupons, and cartwheel savings...they probably still are. 
  • @mrsconn23  sadly Target isn't in Canada, but I have kept an eye on Walmart for savings and coupons {I already do coupons from there} and plus there's other places that do deals. Good to know about the sizing! My mum suggested not buying a box until closer to due date because they can guess-timate the size better.
  • *Barbie**Barbie* member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited February 2017
    @mrsconn23  sadly Target isn't in Canada, but I have kept an eye on Walmart for savings and coupons {I already do coupons from there} and plus there's other places that do deals. Good to know about the sizing! My mum suggested not buying a box until closer to due date because they can guess-timate the size better.
    get size 1s. if the baby is smaller or a preemie, have M get a box or 2 of newborns/preemies after the baby is born. not sure how hospitals do things in Canada (or maybe this was my hospital/NICU specific) but they loaded us down with supplies when Wolverine was discharged, including a big bag of diapers. 

from a brand perspective, Huggies also seemed to run smaller than Pampers. 

ETA: re: size.  I was on hospital bed rest for a week before they induced me. As part of the monitoring, I had a massive ultrasound workup the day before they induced me.  (It took the better part of an hour) Their estimated weight was 2+lbs over her actual birth weight.  (They said she was ~6lb8oz, she was born 4lbs, 6oz, 2 days later.)
  • *Barbie* said:
    @mrsconn23  sadly Target isn't in Canada, but I have kept an eye on Walmart for savings and coupons {I already do coupons from there} and plus there's other places that do deals. Good to know about the sizing! My mum suggested not buying a box until closer to due date because they can guess-timate the size better.
    get size 1s. if the baby is smaller or a preemie, have M get a box or 2 of newborns/preemies after the baby is born. not sure how hospitals do things in Canada (or maybe this was my hospital/NICU specific) but they loaded us down with supplies when Wolverine was discharged, including a big bag of diapers. 

Definitely 1's.  Both of my kids were in NB for a hot minute:  <2 weeks in both cases.  I would not rely on guesstimating size from an ultrasound or physical exam, because they are notoriously unreliable.  (Both of my kids were measuring "large for dates" and one was 7 lb 6 oz and the other was 9 lb 2 oz.)
  • Hello and Good Morning! 
    How was the weekend? 

I got a fair amount done on my To Do List this weekend, got a manicure and a pedicure with a couple friends yesterday, oh - and the Pats FLUFFY UNICORNS won their 5th SUPER BOWL RING  SPARKLY RAINBOW CROWN!!!!

That game was crazy! The first half was just atrocious. I mean the Falcons FIRE BREATHING DRAGONS DIRTY BIRDS are a formidable opponent, but I really did not envision us sucking that bad. Lady Gaga KILLED it during the Halftime Show - and now I have her greatest hits on rotation in my head (that's actually kind of annoying me lol). I wish she had sung Perfect Illusion, however. Oh well. 

H and I are exhausted this morning because we didn't go to bed until 11:45 (I slept for the entire 3rd Quarter and part of the 4th Quarter last night - whoops). We are working from home today because I have an ultrasound and a bunch of testing at Maternal Fetal Medicine this afternoon. He is listening to sports radio while we are working, which is annoying, but at least I can randomly belt out Poker Face or Just Dance to get him back  ;)

What's on tap for all of you lovely ladies today?

Edited my post to make @charlotte989875's Monday less Monday-ish.

Correction there.  The appropriate derogatory name for the Falcons is "Dirty Birds".

That was a crazy game.  I almost felt bad for the Falcons.

Disappointed with the commercials.  Where was Doritos?  Where was Budweiser?  Doritos only had some piggyback on top of that Google or Amazon or whatever that talking thing is.  Budweiser had one historical commercial and a boring Busch ad.  Budweiser, seriously.  Either be funny.  Or have cute puppies and Clydesdales.  Fire your ad agency, stat.  They led you very astray.

The babies dressed as football legends was both funny and adorable.

My guacamole came out fantastic.  That is the most important part of SB Sunday, so it was a good day.  H and I went out to brunch on Saturday for a mystery shop.  The food was awesome, so yay there.

Today is busy at work.  Though, my job is looking more insecure than ever.  They are putting a temporary halt to Purchase Orders and putting a hold on others.  AND Procurement is one of the main things I do.  Whomp, whomp.  I'm just hanging out in my continual holding pattern until the axe falls.  I was expecting that to happen weeks ago, so I guess I'm ahead of the game? 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • TFB - That is so sad for your friends.  I hope they are able to complete their family soon.

MKD - I hope to at least make it to my due date.  My niece's Confirmation is March 11th and I'm her sponsor!  She has a back up one, just in case.  But I've missed her First Communion because H & I had our pre cana that day.  And being her Godmother, I'm supposed to be there for the religious stuff!  She did adorably tell me (before they had the date of ceremony announced) that it would be ok because her Confirmation was going to be on a Saturday and (at the time) I was due on a Sunday.  If only it worked like that!

I am reminded I need to do a final purchase for her nursery.  Maybe I will post my different options here and get a consensus on which works best.

• SITB

@thefanciestbeckler i am so sorry for your friends. that's horrible. 

My day started off with ~60 shots in the head/neck/shoulders, so fun times there. (Botox for migraines - my quarterly appointment). I had a headache when i went in, so doctor gave me some samples ( milder painkillers) to get me through the day. He also called in a "migraine cocktail" to my pharmacy since i've been getting more headaches than normal, recently. 

coworker is being bitchy today and throwing me under bus with leaders - i'm annoyed but amused because i know the thing that she's complaining about will be her job soon. (It's non-value added transactional work. I actually talked about this with my boss last week, and he's 100% in agreement that I need to be able to delegate this back to the group that's bitching. basically, when a request comes in to this admin group, they send it to someone to manage (there's a list) and then send me a note to add this to a tracking database. this is LOW on my priority list, and they get bitchy if i don't do it immediately. boss agrees that this team should be entering it into the database and i should use my time for more important projects - basically the purpose of my job.)

• @short+sassy, I hear you on the commercials.  My favorites were the pee-wee football Buick ad and the World of Tanks.  DH and I were hoping World of Tanks would run similar ads throughout the game, make it a theme, and we were disappointed they didn't.  Otherwise, the ads were bad.  I feel like these ad agencies are trying waaaay too hard.

(BTW, my all-time favorite Super Bowl ad is the FedEx one where the Munchkins ran out of helium and the truck fell on the Wicked Witch instead of Dorothy's house.)

I was also disappointed with the promised 360* replay views.  I get that the tech is new, but H and I were watching some commentator earlier in the day who was really talking up the replay tech, how we'd be seeing it throughout the game, and we'd be seeing the plays from the perspective of the players on the field.  When I finally made it to bed, I think the only "replay" I had seen were 360* swivels of the field BEFORE the play had even started, not during, and only during half time.  So maybe he oversold the tech, but I was not impressed.

I hate the Falcons, but I hate the Pats more, so I was pretty pissed they blew that lead.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• Thanks to everybody for your good thoughts and kind words for my friends. I'm really hoping things work out for them very soon.

On another note, I just saw my boss for the first time today. He's sick. He said his whole family is at home sick. But ya know, strep isn't contagious. :rage:

• My friend and I are going to see La La Land tonight. And we're strategizing how to bring in wine. 
  • @AtomicBlonde, there's a post on Chit Chat discussing SB ads.

I forgot about the Tank one!  That was funny.  I also liked the Tide one with Terry Bradshaw.  The Cam Newton one you mentioned was funny also (and I loved the red Convertible Buick in that ad, perhaps my next car).

@thefanciestbeckler, I can't imagine how devastating that was for your friend and her H.  I hope they are able to have a successful adoption soon.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I was sick (just a nasty cold) oer the weekend--better today, but the Mr. has it.

I sent off a resume to something I"m REALLY hopeful (and perfectly fucking qualified in a way only a few people can be) for.

The kitten's new tag was jingly all the damn time at night, because she rolls around while she plays and it chinks, so I sugru-ed around the edges...seems to have worked.

The kiddo and I made her valentine's day box, finnikin pokemon, and I had to sit on my hands, like a good parent does, to not do it for her.

And we didn't do much.
  • Heffalump said:
    *Barbie* said:

Definitely 1's.  Both of my kids were in NB for a hot minute:  <2 weeks in both cases.  I would not rely on guesstimating size from an ultrasound or physical exam, because they are notoriously unreliable.  (Both of my kids were measuring "large for dates" and one was 7 lb 6 oz and the other was 9 lb 2 oz.)
    My little guy is the opposite, he was in newborns for the first month or maybe it was 5-6 weeks I already forget and we only sized up because I ran out of NB and had tons of 1s so we tried them and luckily they have worked out well. He was 7#15 at birth but grew pretty slowly after getting back up to birth weight a few days after discharge. But I agree to not stock up on a bunch of NBs, or if you do keep the receipt, because I don't think most are in them as long as mine.

I've tried picking up diapers if there is a good sale and I have coupons and then we were given diapers as part of our presents plus I've been trading a local lady Similac coupons for diapers so I have a nice little stock pile of 1, 2, and 3s. Starting with size 2 I've got a mix of Pampers, Honest Co, and Target Brand and i hope he does well in all of them because I'd like to just buy whatever is cheapest. 

I've been very fortunate to not have to spend much $$ on him thus far. Between some diaper gifts and breastfeeding, and a decent stock of formula samples I'm not having to spend on those items yet which is really nice. I know I've heard of some guys throwing diaper parties for the dad to be which would have been really nice to stock pile even more. 
  • Saturday we did a build at Home Depot, grocery, then lunch out.  Saturday night was movie night. 

Sunday was church then I finally got DH to agree to a sofa at Costco.  We went and they were all gone except the one already sold waiting for pick up.  Now I have to call around to the other ones to see if they possibly have one. 

This morning was up at dawn to work out, then taking everyone to the school for donuts and the book fair.  Then more grocery, dentist, and work.  Tonight is psr and gymnastics.  Tomorrow who knows.

• short+sassyshort+sassy member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2017
    kvruns said:
    Heffalump said:
    *Barbie* said:

My little guy is the opposite, he was in newborns for the first month or maybe it was 5-6 weeks I already forget and we only sized up because I ran out of NB and had tons of 1s so we tried them and luckily they have worked out well. He was 7#15 at birth but grew pretty slowly after getting back up to birth weight a few days after discharge. But I agree to not stock up on a bunch of NBs, or if you do keep the receipt, because I don't think most are in them as long as mine.

I've tried picking up diapers if there is a good sale and I have coupons and then we were given diapers as part of our presents plus I've been trading a local lady Similac coupons for diapers so I have a nice little stock pile of 1, 2, and 3s. Starting with size 2 I've got a mix of Pampers, Honest Co, and Target Brand and i hope he does well in all of them because I'd like to just buy whatever is cheapest. 

I've been very fortunate to not have to spend much $$ on him thus far. Between some diaper gifts and breastfeeding, and a decent stock of formula samples I'm not having to spend on those items yet which is really nice. I know I've heard of some guys throwing diaper parties for the dad to be which would have been really nice to stock pile even more. 

You have to give some guys credit, they know what is most useful.  I worked at a company in a male-dominated industry (engineering).  One of the civil engineers took paternity leave.  His coworkers (all men) FILLED every surface of his office with diapers.  And, because they were civil guys too, even made a little structure on his desk.  Like a house of cards...except diapers.

Just goes to show, even engineers have their whimsical side...even if it's also a little on the nerdy side.  No offense to any engineers ;).  They're awesome and I like working with them, but I have to occasionally poke fun.

Edited to use the word I meant.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My friend and I are going to see La La Land tonight. And we're strategizing how to bring in wine. 
    @charlotte989875 - I hope that you enjoy it. I saw it on Friday and was really underwhelmed. I can't understand all of the awards show buzz. 

re: wine: small bottles with screw tops, big purse.