Registry and Gift Forum

Will my guests order items online?

It's crunch time for us to get our registry finished - my bridal showers are coming up soon! We've done a LOT of our registries online, but I'm afraid we we won't get much of what we've registered for if it is not available in our local store. Should we go back and make sure to add items that our friends and family can physically pick up at our local Target or Bed Bath and Beyond (the two stores we registered at)? 

Thanks for your advice!

Re: Will my guests order items online?

• It's crunch time for us to get our registry finished - my bridal showers are coming up soon! We've done a LOT of our registries online, but I'm afraid we we won't get much of what we've registered for if it is not available in our local store. Should we go back and make sure to add items that our friends and family can physically pick up at our local Target or Bed Bath and Beyond (the two stores we registered at)? 

Thanks for your advice!
    I think this going to depend on your guests; some may be fine ordering online, but others might be more old school and prefer to pick something out in person. 

I built my registries entirely online, but could still see what was available in store versus online; do you not have anything in store, or just a few options? 
  • It's crunch time for us to get our registry finished - my bridal showers are coming up soon! We've done a LOT of our registries online, but I'm afraid we we won't get much of what we've registered for if it is not available in our local store. Should we go back and make sure to add items that our friends and family can physically pick up at our local Target or Bed Bath and Beyond (the two stores we registered at)? 

Thanks for your advice!
    Yes. If I can't get it in a store, you're getting whatever I pick out for you and you may get 6 of something that way. I will only get stuff online if it's worth my while or I'm buying other stuff from that site.
  • @charlotte989875 It's a bit of a mix. I guess I'm just worried that we might end up with items that were less essential just because they weren't offered in store. I'm thinking I may go through our list and make sure anything we really need is available in person. 
  • @TrixieJess Thanks for the input! That's what I was thinking might be on our guest's minds as well. 
  • If gift receipts are included you can return to the store and get something else from your registry. 
  • I would try to make sure that *most* of your items are also available in store. If you really have your heart set on something only available online, I wouldn't pick something else you don't like in favour of it; you can always use your completion discount to get the item. But I do think you may have many guests who will go into the store looking for an item.

While I commonly purchase online, when I'm shopping off a registry, I usually go into the store, look up the registry there and then buy something. Buying in store at BB&B is also nice because they have the gift wrap station- really makes it easy to buy a gift there.
  • I registered at BBB, and I would say less than 10% of the gifts I received were ordered online. We had a few out of town people who ordered things and had them sent directly to us, which was nice and convenient for both of us. But most of the guests went to the store and picked something out (I know this because nearly all of the gifts at my shower were wrapped in the BBB paper). We got a few items that were online only, but I think
    all of the items we did not receive were online only. 

I would check that you have at least a good selection that is not available online only- it should also say if this is the case, and remember you likely have out of town guests, so just because it isn't available at your local store doesn't mean it won't be at theirs. 

If you're finding a lot of your registry is online only, I would probably go into the store and see if you can find some comparable items to replace some of them with- they have lots of similar items you may not even be able to tell the difference between.
  • I think both of those stores have the option to order online and pick up in store, correct? I'm usually comfortable doing that, but often when I'm buying a gift off a registry (wedding or baby), I don't think to look at the registry ahead of time and end up getting whatever I can actually find in the store.

This may be a know your crowd type thing. If you know your friends & family tend to do a lot of shopping online it could be fine but if they're not it may be worth your time to check out what's available in the stores.