Wedding Etiquette Forum

Seating Plan

We're doing a destination wedding in Romania, but my fiance and most of the wedding party are coming from the UK (I'm half Romanian). 

I was wondering what's the typical seating plan for the wedding party?

I've been to a few weddings in Europe and the head table is usually: Bride and Groom, best man and MOH and parents on both sides.

But having read a few other websites it seems to be the bridesmaids, best men and significant others on the head table?

Our head table sits 10-12, but we have 10 bridesmaids and groomsmen, and I feel our parents would be left out if they weren't on the head table.

Any advice?

Re: Seating Plan

• Just to add... I've been told that in Romania there is a tradition of 'godparents of the wedding' - they are meant to be your guardians through life. We have to sit them at the head table and it's mandatory. 
  • What about MOH +SO, best man + SO, parents, godparents and bridal couple?
  • What about MOH +SO, best man + SO, parents, godparents and bridal couple?
    We have 2 best men and one of them has a kid!

So that would be:

-Bride & Groom
    -Godparents
    -Bride's Parents
    -Groom's Parents
    - MOH & SO
    - Best Man + SO & Kid
    -Other Best Man & SO

I don't think we can fit 15 people on the table :(
  • Is it appropriate to seat their SO's with friends on other tables? 
  • banana468 said:
    Is it appropriate to seat their SO's with friends on other tables? 
    Absolutely not.  Someone in a relationship or with a date needs to be seated at the same table as the SO/date.  
    Seeing as that would be 15 people including a toddler, is there anything you would suggest to keep the number to 10-12? 

Perhaps not including the MOH and best men on the head table? Would that be rude? 
  • banana468 said:
    Absolutely not.  Someone in a relationship or with a date needs to be seated at the same table as the SO/date.  
    Seeing as that would be 15 people including a toddler, is there anything you would suggest to keep the number to 10-12? 

Perhaps not including the MOH and best men on the head table? Would that be rude? 
    This is a good idea!  Head table can be you, FI, your parents, his parents, and godparents- eight would fit comfortably at the table.  WP members must sit with their SO's and often sit with other wedding guests they know (ex: your MOH is your sister and sits with family, BM is a college friend and sits with other college friends).
  • eileenrob said:
    banana468 said:

This is a good idea!  Head table can be you, FI, your parents, his parents, and godparents- eight would fit comfortably at the table.  WP members must sit with their SO's and often sit with other wedding guests they know (ex: your MOH is your sister and sits with family, BM is a college friend and sits with other college friends).
    Ok great! One more question: the godparents have 2 children (the girl is the flower girl) and there aren't any common friends at the wedding. Can they sit with us or is that innapropriate? 
  • edited February 2017
    I would either do:

1) A sweetheart table with just the two of you - leave the family/friend drama out of it.
    2) If the godparents are non-negotiable, just a table with you two, his parents, your parents and the god parents. All wedding party members (including MOH and BM) at their own tables. 

Whatever you do, don't split up couples/families. 
    *********************************************************************************

• You can definitely sit their kids at the head table.
    In the US, at least, there's no rules on who sits where (other than it's impolite to split up couples).

I've seen it a ton of ways
    • no head table
    • sweetheart table
    • bride & groom with BM, MoH and their SOs
    • Entire bridal party with their SOs
    • Bride & Groom and their immediate family (And SOs)
    etc...

So bride, groom, parents, godparents and their kids sounds perfectly fine to me!