Wedding Party

how to ask a bridesmaid to change her shoes

When I initially met with one of my bridesmaids last month (a relative of my future hubby whom I like quite a bit) I said I wasn't too particular about what shoes my bridesmaids wore. She exclaimed that the shoe color HAD to match and came up with a color that all the bridesmaids should wear. She seemed pretty adamant about it and insisted this was very important so I said OK and immediately texted all the other bridesmaids to tell them we were going with the color suggested by the relative.

Fast forward to now, she texts me a photo of the shoes she got for the occasion and they are NOT in the color she insisted upon. All the other bridesmaids have since gotten their shoes in the color.  I don't really care, but I think this relative will care quite a bit if her shoes don't match everyone elses. I don't want her to feel embarrassed or upset her at all.

How do I ask her politely or let her know that we are going with a different shoe color?

Re: how to ask a bridesmaid to change her shoes

• I'm so confused. What color did she suggest and what color did she end up getting? 

Seriously, no one is going to be looking at your BM's shoes. I don't know why she cares that much. How odd. 
  • penguinpoppenguinpop member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited February 2017
    The insisted-upon color is silver.

Everyone else liked the color and thought it could go with anything and loved the excuse to buy new shoes.

I didn't mind the suggestion too much since a few of the other bridesmaids had wanted to match shoes (or suggested matching shoe clips or other weird things). I'm not a shoe person but this seemed to be something they all cared about.

I'm with you - I think it's weird and I didn't think anyone else will care at all. 

The one bridesmaid in question got pink shoes.   
  • So, if I'm following, she insisted that everyone have silver shoes. And then she went out and got a pink shoe? 

Just let it go. I wouldn't say a word about it TBH. 

Yes, you follow correctly. So weird.
  • KahluaKoala said:

I think the bolded is very good advice. It seems like very strange behavior to me, but if you think she'll care than at least let her know. Don't demand anything though, since you didn't care in the first place. Out of curiosity, are the dresses short?

I also agree that I would not be put off if I were asked to wear a silver shoe (or black, nude, anything else neutral-ish that I legitimately might already have or could wear again) but I would be put off if you asked me to get like, a pink shoe or cowboy boots or something like that 

Yes the dresses are short. I also think it's strange. 

• As weird as it is that she insisted on silver shoes and then got pink ones (and that she was dictating the shoes in the first place), this is not a hill worth dying on. You didn't really care what shoes your bridesmaids wore anyway, so I'd say just let it go. People get weirdly sensitive about weddings, even the smallest details, and this isn't worth potentially arguing about with someone you like overall.

But needless to say, don't take any more suggestions she makes about the wedding too seriously! 
  • banana468 said:
    I'd tell her no. "Remember you insisted everyone else buy silver shoes? So. No. You cannot wear pink, you need to get silver."

this was her plan!
    I was going to say the same thing.

Maybe it's because I haven't felt like trusting a lot since January 20th but I'd find it highly suspicious that the one person who said silver and got everyone to agree to the color picked a different color that would mean that she'd stand out and be different. 

Is it a big deal in the grand scheme of things?   No.   But I'd call bullshit on it. 
    I had the same thought! Smells fishy. A big deal? no. But odd behavior? Yes. 
  • banana468 said:
    I'd tell her no. "Remember you insisted everyone else buy silver shoes? So. No. You cannot wear pink, you need to get silver."

this was her plan!

Maybe it's because I haven't felt like trusting a lot since January 20th but I'd find it highly suspicious that the one person who said silver and got everyone to agree to the color picked a different color that would mean that she'd stand out and be different. 

Is it a big deal in the grand scheme of things?   No.   But I'd call bullshit on it. 
    That was my first thought reading this actually. It'd take someone pretty nefarious. But if they were that schemey to think all that up, I'd think that fighting them on this would not be the hill I wanted to die on. 
  • banana468 said:

this was her plan!

I had the exact same thought, but chalked it up to my naturally cynical nature. 
  • I was in a wedding where one of the bridesmaids became a bridesmaidzilla.  She was obsessed with matching and getting the same shoes and a bunch of other shit.  The bride chose a color for a dress (that was literally the only stipulation for the dress), then that bridesmaid went and bought a dress in a completely different color saying it was hard to find the chosen color because of her size.  Here's the kicker....the dress she bought CAME IN THE COLOR THE BRIDE CHOSE (and in her size, too).  She just decided to get another color because she liked it more. I couldn't believe it. So the bride ended up changing her entire color scheme for the wedding because the bridesmaid guilted her saying she couldn't return the dress (also a lie). She was such a bitch.  She also bitched the whole day of the wedding. It was so annoying. 

• Maybe she's color blind and legit thought the pink was silver?

• Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited February 2017
    Is there a chance that she knowingly did this because she wanted her feet to look different from everyone else's for some reason?

I would either let it go or tell her, "Look, you insisted that everyone choose shoes of a specific color and everyone accommodated you. You don't get to have it both ways. You have two options: Either you get silver shoes like everyone else or you reimburse the other bridesmaids for the cost of the shoes you demanded they get while they wear whatever shoes they like. But you insisting on silver shoes for everyone else while getting yourself different shoes is not an option."
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2017
    Jen4948 said:
    Is there a chance that she knowingly did this because she wanted her feet to look different from everyone else's for some reason?

I would either let it go or tell her, "Look, you insisted that everyone choose shoes of a specific color and everyone accommodated you. You don't get to have it both ways. You have two options: Either you get silver shoes like everyone else or you reimburse the other bridesmaids for the cost of the shoes you demanded they get while they wear whatever shoes they like. But you insisting on silver shoes for everyone else while getting yourself different shoes is not an option."
    I agree with this. While it's no big deal this BM is wearing pink shoes, as another BM, I might be pissed if I had to go out and buy a pair of shoes to find out that another BM wore whatever shoes she wanted.

I would tell this bridesmaid, "You are the one who insisted on silver shoes, and that is what everyone else bought. It would be pretty unfair for you to wear whatever you want after demanding all the BMs match. Please get silver shoes".

Or, if this all happened recently, tell your other BMs ASAP so they have the option to return the shoes they bought if they want.

AddieCake said:
    I would tell her it's fine but would also ask why she changed her shoe color after insisting everyone needed to wear silver. And please report back what her answer is b/c I'd like to know. 
    I also want to know too!