Chit Chat

UO Thread

kahluakoalakahluakoala member
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
edited February 2017 in Chit Chat
We haven't had one of these in awhile, thought it would be fun! A UO is an "unpopular opinion", but please be kind and don't insult other posters

Mine is that I don't enjoy all inclusive vacations at all.

Re: UO Thread

• @KahluaKoala I don't enjoy all-inclusives either!

My UO may not be a UO everywhere, but it's a UO at work - I do not like wasabi at all - even if it's mixed in things, like those dried peas people seem to be addicted to. 

My UO may not be a UO everywhere, but it's a UO at work - I do not like wasabi at all - even if it's mixed in things, like those dried peas people seem to be addicted to. 

To be fair, I can see how they make sense and are fun family vacations, but I think if I went there with just my SO we'd both be bored silly. I get the appeal of tropical beach vacations, but I don't enjoy resorts at all.

To be fair, I can see how they make sense and are fun family vacations, but I think if I went there with just my SO we'd both be bored silly. I get the appeal of tropical beach vacations, but I don't enjoy resorts at all.
    Oh totally! Our friends are all super big fans of all-inclusives. I love resorts, and I love tropical vacations, but H & I (if the area is safe enough) prefer to explore and go off-resort for most of our meals. I could probably do just a booze-only AI though...
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2017
    @KahluaKoala I don't enjoy all-inclusives either!

I like an all inclusive because it means I can eat and drink as much as I want without worrying about the cost (mmm.... pina coladas!) ;). But in actuality, I prefer to travel around and see the sights and eat at different restaurants.

We did an AI in Mexico with my family when I was 13. It was pretty fun. We did go off the resort and do some tours and go into town.

UO (because it came up at work the other day)- I've never seen Grey's Anatomy!

Actually, that's not an opinion at all. I'm sure if I did watch it, I'd like it, but I never got into it to start and now it's too big of a commitment. I get more of a, "YOU'VE NEVER SEEN GREY'S???".
  • I don't like Indian food. 

I've never seen Gilmore Girls.

• I don't have a TV.
  • I don't like Indian food. 

I don't like Indian food either.  Well, actually I do not like the curries.  They actually make me nauseous.   Once a year I will go an Indian restaurant for DH.  I can normally find something to eat, but it takes me a good 45 minutes before I start feeling okay.  

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • lyndausvi said:
    I don't like Indian food. 

I don't like Indian food either.  Well, actually I do not like the curries.  They actually make me nauseous.   Once a year I will go an Indian restaurant for DH.  I can normally find something to eat, but it takes me a good 45 minutes before I start feeling okay.  
    I am so glad I'm not the only one who has stomach issues after eating curry.  Even mild stuff makes me feel like that too.  

• I'm tired of hearing about Game of Thrones. 

I thought La La Land was just an okay movie.

• I don't want kids. I'll tolerate other people's kids (I will help out and babysit) but I have zero desire for my own offspring. I would much rather be selfish with my time. Most people I know can't fathom the idea of no kids. They tell me that I would be a good parents and kids are wonderful. I'm sure kids of your own are different than other people's kids but I don't want anything to do with making or raising offspring.

• I can't get into SciFi, even Diet SciFi.  I get too weirded out over their elf ears or whatever other thing is going on.  I recently watched the Twilight series (home sick with no other free movies).  Bella is so annoying with that selfish, emotionally deep teenager crap and the movies are just weird.
  • I never like the TV shows you're supposed to like. At night I sit next to DH binging on Breaking Bad or Homeland or GoT, just reading or on TK or something.  Aren't these hits?  I forced myself through the first three episodes of This Is Us, only bc I kept hearing about how great it was.  Bored out of mind.  Gilmore Girls/OIYNB/etc...not a fan.

If it's not Modern Family, The Office, maybe some SATC, I'm not interested.  
  • I'm not exclusively a cat or dog person. I'm an all-animals person, although I draw the line at anything poisonous. I'm considering going vegan for that reason.
  • I do not get the appeal of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, and I want to scream every time someone compares it to Seinfeld, which is pretty much my favorite show ever.
  • I don't like Dr. Who, or any of the older Star Wars movies. So far, I only like The Force  Awakens. As a geek, most people think this is an affront to geekiness.

• My UO - I don't like Love Actually. Or Starbucks. To be fair though it isn't massive where I live and many have closed down over the last ten years (only two left in the entire region). 
  • I'm tired of hearing about Game of Thrones. 

I thought La La Land was just an okay movie.

Completely agree about GoT. I've never seen it and don't plan to.
  • I hated Lalaland. I thought it was obnoxiously self-indulgent with cringeworthy bad singing, horrible music and ok dancing. It just seems like Hollywood air-kissing itself that it was still 'glamorous'. The shots were basic, and although pretty, they were just simple, primary colour blocking. 
  • I hated Lalaland. I thought it was obnoxiously self-indulgent with cringeworthy bad singing, horrible music and ok dancing. It just seems like Hollywood air-kissing itself that it was still 'glamorous'. The shots were basic, and although pretty, they were just simple, primary colour blocking. 
    I think the critics all went nuts over it just because of the novelty of an original movie musical these days. Really, I'd rather just watch the old ones like Singin' in the Rain. 

Also, and I know not everyone would've been thinking about this, but as a jazz fan (albeit somewhat of a rookie one), I HATED how Ryan Gosling's character kept going on about that kind of music "dying" and how he had to save it. First off, obscure white guy needing to save jazz? I don't think so. Second, jazz may not be mainstream anymore, but it is NOT dying. 

Sorry, just needed to get that out there because it annoyed the hell out of me during the movie lol.
    Also, not a huge fan. I didn't hate it, but the bad singing really bothered me. I get it, you want stars in the movie and you can train them to dance well enough, but if the movie is a musical, get actors that can actually sing! It really ruined it for me, TBH. 
  • My UO - I don't like Love Actually. Or Starbucks. To be fair though it isn't massive where I live and many have closed down over the last ten years (only two left in the entire region). 
    I tried watching Love Actually 2 times and never made it very far. I'm always surprised to see it on the top of lists of good movies and people loving it because I just don't get it 
    Also, not a huge fan. I didn't hate it, but the bad singing really bothered me. I get it, you want stars in the movie and you can train them to dance well enough, but if the movie is a musical, get actors that can actually sing! It really ruined it for me, TBH. 

That was how I felt about Les Miserables, the movie.  The actors chosen were, at least, decent singers.  But they couldn't even touch the caliber of singing you hear in the stage performances, where people are chosen for their singing ability as opposed to their fame.

Full disclosure, I haven't seen LaLaLand.  But I saw a clip of one of the songs.  The singing was so bad, I wondered why they didn't just do voice overs.

In the movie, "Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?", George Clooney had REALLY wanted to do his own singing.  The producers weren't keen on the idea and said he would have to try out for the singing.  He spent the next couple months taking singing lessons and practicing really hard.  After he tried out, they told him something to the effect of, "Oh, um, that was great. But...ya know...we're just going to stick with the voice over singer."

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • kvruns said:
    My UO - I don't like Love Actually. Or Starbucks. To be fair though it isn't massive where I live and many have closed down over the last ten years (only two left in the entire region). 
    I tried watching Love Actually 2 times and never made it very far. I'm always surprised to see it on the top of lists of good movies and people loving it because I just don't get it 
    About Love Actually- the end has such a satisfying payoff. I won't spoil anything if third time may be the charm, but Colin Firth's character and the young boy's character- what they experience is just so... heartwarming! That movie's definitely one of my favorites. 

Count me as another person who doesn't "get" the most popular shows. We also don't have the fancy cable channels so I can't watch True Blood or GoT or anything else people rave about from those channels. Anyway, there's only so much I can keep up on, and I already have my favorites to follow- The Royals, Supernatural, Reign, Dance Moms, Ladies of London. None of this gets talked about at the water cooler. 

• Not so much a UO but, like some of you have mentioned, there are a lot of popular shows I've never watched.  There are also a lot of popular songs/singers I'm not very familiar with.  I'm just pretty clueless with popular culture all around, lol.

My heavy UO is I think we should have at least some type of universal healthcare in the US, even if that means taxes have to go up.

I feel like I have SO many UOs, lol, but I'm not having too many pop in my head right now.

My lighter UOs are food related.  I don't care for ketchup, biscuits, or chocolate.  Milk/dark chocolates are at least okay, but I despise white chocolate and can't even stomach it.

@ernursej, we are kindred spirits on the offspring subject.  I have never had any desire to have my own children.  When I was younger, I assumed that need would pop up someday.  Because it seemed to for most people.  Nope.  Just the opposite.  The older I got, the less I wanted them.  I see the overwhelming, driving desire many people have to want children.  It's so foreign to me, I can only think there must be some piece of DNA programming that most people get, but I didn't, lol.  Thank goodness for our species :)

Glad to know I'm not alone. Some days, it feels like it is just me. As a nurse, everyone I work with is having babies and telling me that I should be popping them out. 
  • I don't like fluffy pancakes. I love fluffy waffles, but I prefer my pancakes to be on the thinner side and cooked dark.
  • I don't like fluffy pancakes. I love fluffy waffles, but I prefer my pancakes to be on the thinner side and cooked dark.
    basically crepes and Belgian waffles?