Wedding Woes
Options

How is it week 5

I thought this was a good way to start:

Chuck Todd to John McCain on Meet the Press:

Q:  Can the American people have faith that a Republican Congress will truly investigate these concerns over Russia?

A:  I hope and I believe they can. But it's more hope than belief. 

Re: How is it week 5

• Options
    I'm watching Last Week Tonight right now.  I barely paid attention to the news this weekend.  

I can't even about the Sweden thing.  WTF. 
  • Options
    Heffalump said:
    levioosa said:
    That last link makes me sick.  It's very similar to the Quiverfull movement by the looks of it.  

We could also talk about the Swedish attack that never happened.  I hear the Bowling Green Massacre folks have been really supportive in their shared sorrow. 
    Out of all the responses so far, this is my favorite:

This is great!

There are rumors the GOP is trying to get Kid Rock to challenge Stabenow for her Senate seat. Don't get me wrong, he is an intelligent man. But the last person I want representing me in the Senate is the guy who sang and toured in support of the automotive industry and then supported Mitt "let the automakers go bankrupt" Romney the next year. 
  • Options
    This is an amazing piece that a friend posted re: Trump's attacks on the media (which I think has actually frightened me almost more than anything else).  http://time.com/4675860/donald-trump-fake-news-attacks/

• Options
    Good news for our weary warriors:  Milo Younawhocareswhathisnameis is no longer speaking at the CPAC conference. Apparently, the GOP draws the line at pedophelia. 
    He also lost his book deal.  Took Simon and Schuster long enough. 
  • Options
    @mrsconn23 we're not far behind.  My state senator introduced a bill to defund PP and to create a state-sponsored fundraising license plate for one specific anti-choice group.
  • Options
    VarunaTT said:

It is okay to check out.  Take a day off from social media (or more if you need it), take a more passive role (we'll always take monies or data entry work), or whatever you need to do to get your head straight and your burnout taken care of.  Again.....marathon vs. sprint.

I am finding myself staying off FB more often. The whole platform seems to have become more political and can be exhausting. One, I waste a lot of time on it and two, I just can't seem to understand how people can spend so much time being mean.
  • Options
    @VarunaTT I just read an interesting article in Newsweek (some may not like this mag, I do) from Dec 2016 (I am behind :smile:) about professionals and people with experience. Basically saying that there is a decline in trusting those who know their stuff. They use the term "anti-professionalism".

https://www.pressreader.com/usa/newsweek/20161223/282080571478195

• Options
    @mrsconn23 we're not far behind.  My state senator introduced a bill to defund PP and to create a state-sponsored fundraising license plate for one specific anti-choice group.

Pfft.  We've had those for YEARS in Louisiana.

Last time I bought a car and needed a new license plate, I asked the clerk if I could have one of the pro-choice license plates.  She super side-eyed me and told me they didn't have a license plate like that (which I knew).  I gave her my pure, abject innocence look and said I didn't understand...if there was one license plate for one view of a controversial topic, why wouldn't there be the opposing view also available?  Why would the state be so unfair and one-sided?  She gave me the classic "move along" look that only DMV workers can master and replied something like, "We don't have it."

I know, I know.  I shouldn't have pestered the poor DMV worker who has no control over such things.  Though I was perfectly pleasant with her.  But it's just galling to me that something so state-sanctioned...like license plates...makes such a blatant stand on a controversial issue.  It's like a f**k you, to their very residents who do not share that view.  Residents who prefer that we do not go back to the days where young women bled to death during back alley abortions.  

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'm so pissed off about this.  The administration claims they won't break up DREAM families, but reports are saying they already have.

http://www.vox.com/2017/2/21/14659652/memos-deportation-detention-asylum

• Options
    Good!  Though why it took him espousing pederasty to get there, is beyond me.  Every time I saw him taking a queer symbol and twisting it so he could be the right wing's "good gay" I wanted to vomit, scream, and throw something. 
  • Options
    Now that there's been an actual riot in Sweden (though nothing major from what I hear so far) his supporters are practically hailing him as a friggen prophet now. The fanatical devotion to him is so frightening. They honestly think he is some kind of savior, and is going to save us all single handedly. 
  • Options
    VarunaTT said:
    Good!  Though why it took him espousing pederasty to get there, is beyond me.  Every time I saw him taking a queer symbol and twisting it so he could be the right wing's "good gay" I wanted to vomit, scream, and throw something. 
    Tokenism, that's why.  The GOP can't be anti-LGBTQ if they embrace "a gay." 

Just like [how they silently argue] Ben Carson saves them from being racist.  "But look - a black guy at HUD!"

If Milo was a good ol boy from the South, he'd be depicted in a hood.  He hides behind his pearls and I'm glad he's no longer getting away with it.
  • Options
    This article is....I don't know.  I can't call it interesting or eye opening.  Maybe confirmation for me?  I like that the writer didn't try to create sympathy, but really tried to write a clear eyed view of these supporters.  And this is where my struggle is.  I'm not sure if it comes from maturity but voting for Trump as a joke? is just so devastatingly irresponsible, ignorant, and downright cruel when you consider what was being touted on his platform that I just like....white girl can't even with that nonsense. 

The nerd in me wants to say this is what happens when Star Trek goes off the air.  :smiley:

https://psmag.com/on-the-milo-bus-with-the-lost-boys-of-americas-new-right-629a77e87986#.tzodeu9t9
  • Options
    Trump ala Sessions is now dropping any lawsuits arguing that Title IX protects gender identity and HB2 in NC. 

Lets all beware of the human on the other side of the stall wall because all of the criminals are apparently in DC. 
  • Options
    Nobody can even talk to Ted Cruz...he doesn't respond to emails and his voicemail box is full. And he won't see anyone in his offices in Houston.
  • Options
    Amy Siskind at Medium posts a new list every week with links to her sources. Please note that her posts could benefit from an editor.

https://medium.com/@Amy_Siskind/week-14-experts-in-authoritarianism-advise-to-keep-a-list-of-things-subtly-changing-around-you-so-fa64639043b9#.vbgga7ezg
    "Marriage is so disruptive to one's social circle." - Mr. Woodhouse
  • Options
    Apparently they re-released that survey about media bias saying the first one had too many democrats and media attacking it. Sure.