Registry and Gift Forum

Regestering with Amazon

We are thinking about registering with Amazon along with a brick and mortar store. I am looking for feedback on people's experiences with using Amazon's wedding registry.  I am thinking we would also register at a store to give people the option to buy from a physical place. We are thinking about registering for the traditional like kitchen and bath but also were considering things like camping gear and lawn furniture. Our idea is that Amazon would give us the more variety without having to register at several different stores.  

Re: Regestering with Amazon

• I only have experience with Amazon with baby registries. The Amazon registry would send me to the actual store's website. That really confused me at first. I think some of the stuff might have actually been from Amazon but not all of it. I couldn't put stuff from the stores in my Amazon cart. You could do a registry at a store that has camping gear and outdoor furniture - REI or Dick's Sporting Goods.
  • My bff had a registry on amazon. It worked out pretty well as long as you get stuff from reputable dealers who don't have limited quantities of stuff. She never deleted it so I still use it for her birthday presents. Lol

• My daughter registered with Amazon, and she received everything on her list.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I wish I had done an Amazon registry; my sister did and she loved it. Also, as a guest I love it because I have Prime so I can usually 2-day ship for free. 
  • We registered with Amazon. Super easy. It was nice to be able to choose a wide variety of things - like everything from a K-cup machine to a backpacking tent - that most typical registry stores don't offer. 

I noticed that most of our younger friends ordered Amazon gifts that were delivered to us before the wedding and most of our older relatives/family did the traditional registry. If you have a good mix of guests, I think it's nice to offer variety.
    *********************************************************************************

• thanks for the feed back everyone! Where else did you register besides amazon?
  • I only have experience with Amazon with baby registries. The Amazon registry would send me to the actual store's website. That really confused me at first. I think some of the stuff might have actually been from Amazon but not all of it. I couldn't put stuff from the stores in my Amazon cart. You could do a registry at a store that has camping gear and outdoor furniture - REI or Dick's Sporting Goods.

I did see that you can add things to your amazon registry from other stores.
  • We used Amazon mostly I think for tools, and a few other random things? It got about the same percentage of use as our other registry. It was very easy. It also looks like they've updated the format since then, so you can see who bought what in case you lose track of that tiny thin slip of paper with the gift message from the box.

We also did Williams-Sonoma for dishes and such, and Macy's. It was a good balance of places that our guests had different comfort levels with.

I probably wouldn't suggest trying to use the universal registry feature on Amazon, because if people see there that you want something from a different place, they might buy it for you, but they'll never go back and mark it as purchased to prevent someone else from getting it too.
  • Amazon
    Macy's
    Crate and Barrel 
    *********************************************************************************

• flantastic  thanks for the tip about the universal feature I hadn't thought about that.         
  • I'm in Canada but most of the registries from physical stores have been like BBB, a hardware store, Crate and Barrel, Williams and Sonoma.
  • Hi--I was also wondering how this works. I'd also like to register with Amazon, but I'm confused regarding how the process works. Any help would be appreciated, it's probably already been explained, I'm just overwhelmed by all these comments. Thanks!
  • We decided to go with amazon and found it really easy. If you have an account just sign in and then click on registry. It walks you through the process of sign up. Then you just go to the product page and click on the right hand side where it says add to registry. Like other people have mentioned I have found that I have to check it every once in awhile to make sure that things are still available.