Wedding Woes

Wednesday!

2»

Re: Wednesday!

• I have school today (boo) and I'm trying to finish up a few things before then.  Realistically I will finish none of it. lol.  SO got me wine glasses, girl scout cookies, and some misc cooking stuff that I'm really happy about so today started off good.  

@MissKittyDanger regarding the "clause" about competitors, check your state laws.  SO had to sign a clause like that too, but our state nullifies it so SO could go work for a competitor and there's nothing his company could actually do about it.  It's just more of a scare tactic for people who don't know better (there are a lot of those at his company). The same thing happened with my last job and their "clause" demanding a certain amount of time from me.  I "broke" my promise, but there's nothing they can do, aside from asking back any incentive bonuses they might have given (and I didn't get shit).  

• @levioosa yeh M didn't get anything {severence, etc}. He hasn't had a pay raise in a bit and likely the company will file a corporate bankruptcy before the year is out, so we're seeing if that means it would still be allowable.
  • mrsconn23 said:
    So I'm not super religious or anything (raised Catholic, but not been practicing for years), but my friend was talking about giving up beer for lent and honestly, I drink too much beer (and spend WAY too much on it since I'm a craft snob), so I've joined her.  :D   I'll still have wine or tequila (because I'm not crazy  disciplined enough to give it all up), but I am hoping to reduce how much I drink overall...to prove I am an adult and capable of self-control, I guess? ;)

We had some cuh-razy weather last night.   There was a big tree branch on my front porch this morning and a bunch of smaller branches all over the yard.  

I can't believe it's March already.  It's DefConn's bday month!  :D 
    DS2's birthday month too!
  • @sparklepants41  thanks and jeez! Curious, does this mean a pedestrian was trying to cross the expressway? :\ that just doesn't sound smart!

Vibes for no preeclampsia! But at least they caught the early stages if you do, so they can help avoid issues
    So the State Police are still investigating, but it happened around 5am. He could have had a broken down car or empty tank and perhaps was walking to get help, or he could have been ill or under the influence and was disoriented. 

• Heffalump said:
    Glad everyone is okay at the Conn house.  My cousin posted that they had to go down to their basement last night.  Crazy weather, and it's headed our way.  We're supposed to go from 80 today to 62 tomorrow.

I have to get to the gym at lunch.  I've been slacking, and it's because I've had stuff to do (work, errands), but still. 

Starting to stress about flights for my brother's wedding.  Tell me to settle down.  DH found cheap flights the other night--they weren't perfect, but they were cheap.  We hesitated, and they went back up.  Part of me is kicking myself, part of me says they weren't great flights anyway.  DH thinks we have plenty of time, but I'm anxious: it's high season in Europe, we can't really book hotels until we know exactly which days we'll arrive and depart, and 4-1/2 months isn't that much time.
    mrsconn23 said:
    So I'm not super religious or anything (raised Catholic, but not been practicing for years), but my friend was talking about giving up beer for lent and honestly, I drink too much beer (and spend WAY too much on it since I'm a craft snob), so I've joined her.  
    Good luck!  Wooz brought home her Scholastic News for this week and was "educating" me about how much sugar is in various foods.  She only wanted water with dinner last night, and she declared that she is going to try to give up sweets for 40 days.  I think she's been chatting with her Catholic friends.  I hope you have better luck than I expect she'll have.  (She kept her vow until DS had a piece of king cake, and then she had to have one too.)

Technically Lent doesn't start until today so last night she was still celebrating Mardi Gras!
  • @short+sassy  It's complete b.s! There's a few places that are hiring again for his position that I had sent links for, so there's hope.
    They did stuff with a lot of companies, so at what level is not working with a competitor?

Also what a bitch of your former manager! Jeez ... did you say anything?

• @sparklepants41  thanks and jeez! Curious, does this mean a pedestrian was trying to cross the expressway? :\ that just doesn't sound smart!

Vibes for no preeclampsia! But at least they caught the early stages if you do, so they can help avoid issues
    So the State Police are still investigating, but it happened around 5am. He could have had a broken down car or empty tank and perhaps was walking to get help, or he could have been ill or under the influence and was disoriented. 
    That's possible. Hopefully it wasn't illness or under the influence, and it was just something simple like because of the car :(
  • Sparklepants - Good vibes and health for you and baby Sparkle.  Its good that things can be monitored and your doctor's know to keep an eye out on things.

MKD - It may be different in Canada, but generally if someone is fired or laid off a non-compete clause may not be applicable any further.  It would really depend on the wording of the contract.  If you know of any lawyers, have them give a good read over the contract.  It's BS if you are laid off or fired and then the company wants to enforce a non-compete clause, IMO.

• @sparklepants41, sending healing vibes for you and the baby!

@MissKittyDanger, sending vibes for M's interview!

Work has been great today; I've gotten a lot done. Hoping it stays that way without getting boring. Meeting tonight but haven't decided which one.
  • We had strong storms in the area yesterday afternoon and evening. We had some issues with our dog, but that usually arises when someone lights off fireworks or there is a storm. We haven't figured out how to calm him down yet, he tries to climb all over us.
    Have you tried a Thunder Shirt? One of my friends had pretty good luck with her dog that had anxiety issues. 
  • @OliveOilsMom  the clause - even if inactive - is b.s regardless. Some companies work with a lot of different companies, does that mean they're a competitor? Also with M's former job going down, ANYONE could be a competitor lol

@OurWildKingdom  thanks and yay for getting things done! :)
  • @sparklepants41 thoughts and prayers for you and baby girl! I hope you don't end up with preeclampsia.

• Ro041 said:
    @thefanciestbeckler - I am bombarded by wraps.  All the time.  "Ask me about that crazy wrap thing."  I just....can't anymore.  It's not just weight loss products either.  I am constantly bombarded by all kinds of direct sales products on FB.  I am THISCLOSE to unfriending anyone who asks me again about lip products, leggings, or lockets (I was recently invited to a party called Lippies, Leggings and Lockets).  

I totally get that it works for some people and that there are customers for all these products.  But it's not me.  
    Those "it works" people? We were in FL last year when they were having some sort of conference. News flash - it doesn't. (I'm not mocking people at all - i'm "plus size" - but seriously, if your "it works" shirt is a 5XL, i'm not inclined to believe you.)
  • @sparklepants41 - i had preeclampsia. let me know if you have any questions. it's scary, but sounds like you are in good hands. how far along are you?
  • *Barbie* said:
    @sparklepants41 - i had preeclampsia. let me know if you have any questions. it's scary, but sounds like you are in good hands. how far along are you?
    thank you! I will probably take you up on your offer. I am 15 weeks. 
  • *Barbie* said:
    @sparklepants41 - i had preeclampsia. let me know if you have any questions. it's scary, but sounds like you are in good hands. how far along are you?
    I was high risk early on, so they had me get my 14 week US with the perinatologist. 

• *Barbie* said:
    *Barbie* said:
    I was high risk early on, so they had me get my 14 week US with the perinatologist. 

Yeah my 12-week US was at Maternal Fetal Medicine with a perinatologist, and my 20-week will be as well. 
  • You guys, I miss @hmonkey.

I need to show her terrible furniture and ask about politics.  There was something else the other day that made me miss her, but I just needed to share.

Maybe she'll be like Beetlejuice and appear:

Who knew there were so many gifs of monkeys crying?
  • We had strong storms in the area yesterday afternoon and evening. We had some issues with our dog, but that usually arises when someone lights off fireworks or there is a storm. We haven't figured out how to calm him down yet, he tries to climb all over us.
    Have you tried a Thunder Shirt? One of my friends had pretty good luck with her dog that had anxiety issues. 
    Yes, we have a Thunder Shirt, but didn't use it last night. I need to be more consistent in using it. This is my first dog, FH has had dogs his whole life, so I am not used to it all yet (I've grown up with cats). I also purchased something called Canna-Pet, which is supposed to calm him down. The best combo we have found is moving him down to the basement where he can't hear it. 
  • @short+sassy  It's complete b.s! There's a few places that are hiring again for his position that I had sent links for, so there's hope.
    They did stuff with a lot of companies, so at what level is not working with a competitor?

Also what a bitch of your former manager! Jeez ... did you say anything?

She wasn't the manager who hired me.  In my short 7-month stay, she was the second manager in that same position, lol.  I did correct her that this was a question I had asked before I signed the new hire paperwork/contract and was told it only applied to direct competitors.  Which was how I'd read the verbage anyway, but had just wanted to make sure.  She said that wasn't true and then repeated in her snotty tone that she wasn't going to make an issue about it.  I just dropped it after that.  It didn't matter, so no need to argue with her.

Oh!  I forgot about this part.  I also asked about two applicants I'd sent out on interviews the week I was let go.  I was sternly told she couldn't discuss company matters with me.  Wow!  Sorry.  I obviously suck because I cared about what happened to two people who I groomed for and sent out on two interviews, even though I no longer worked there nor would I get a commission if one/both had gotten either position.

And, yeah, the new job at that time was an office manager for a tree care company.  Totally different/unrelated industry.

@sparklepants41, sending good vibes for you and the baby!

Wedding Countdown Ticker