Wedding Reception Forum

Wedding colors

I am having a wedding in August, I love the colors burgundy and gold. I want to have them as my wedding colors but am nervous they will look bad since it is a summer wedding. Everyone keeps telling me not to worry about it but I am wondering if I should change the colors. 

Re: Wedding colors

• Everyone is correct. Use whatever colors you want. The only hard rules about wedding/ party planning concern guest comfort. No one is going worry about whether the colors are in season as long as they are hosted properly. :)
  • I am having a wedding in August, I love the colors burgundy and gold. I want to have them as my wedding colors but am nervous they will look bad since it is a summer wedding. Everyone keeps telling me not to worry about it but I am wondering if I should change the colors. 
    Yes, listen to everyone.  Color scheme is NBD.  I kept feeling like I needed to pin down a color scheme for my wedding, but then I realized it wasn't that important, and stopped fighting the "everything must be x and y color" mantra the wedding industry pushes.  Burgundy and gold would be lovely any time of year.
  • Another vote for don't worry about the colours and season. It is a very small detail in the scheme of things. Bridal magazines will tell you that x is for certain seasons and y is for others but those magazines are designed to get you to spend money and stay trendy. Burgundy and gold will look beautiful regardless of seasons.
  • Burgundy and gold are classy together, regardless of season.
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Agreed, burgundy and gold are going to look great together and very elegant. Go for it, regardless of the season!
  • That is a gorgeous and very elegant color scheme that will work any time of year. I say go for it! 
  • I think you're *hehe* Golden!!!

Seriously though, colors don't have to match the season and I think what you're planning will be lovely.

• I am having a wedding in August, I love the colors burgundy and gold. I want to have them as my wedding colors but am nervous they will look bad since it is a summer wedding. Everyone keeps telling me not to worry about it but I am wondering if I should change the colors. 

Someone had posted a little while back about how they loved marsala, but were afraid it wouldn't work for a spring or summer wedding.  I googled and found so many beautiful pics that I almost wished I had chosen it.  Burgundy is pretty close, and I think it would look beautiful with gold in any season.

Apologies for the wonky sizing:  work switched to Edge, and since then I've lost the ability to resize images here.  (It used to work great on Firefox.)

• You're overthinking this. You could use those color any time of the year. It will look great. 
  • Just think of lighter fabrics.    I wouldn't go for a burgundy satin dress or tablecloth but there's no reason you can't use those colors in summer weight fabrics.  
  • I went to a wedding last May who used the colors burgundy and gold. I thought it looked lovely! I would consider accenting with cream and blush, or I love the suggestion earlier about sage green.

I didn't think it looked out of season or anything, even though it was a distinctly "fall" palette. Personally, I love gold with just about anything.
  • It's much more about how you use the colors than what the colors actually are. The examples of the color "marsala" and gold above are good examples. Stick to a seasonally-appropriate overall feel, and you'll be fine, regardless of the colors. 
  • Ughhhh can I get a redo. That first wedding dress @Heffalump  posted is giving me life. 

I think the colors look great together, and I wouldn't think that they were out of place in a summertime wedding at all.