Wedding Woes

Tu-tu-Tuesday

HeffalumpHeffalump member
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
edited March 2017 in Wedding Woes
It's the fourth best day of the work week! ;)

What's up, Wedding Woes?

My boss is finally back on the road, which means I got caught up on a ton of stuff yesterday.  Hoping to dig through some more today.  I'm even getting personal stuff done: we have a meeting set with a landscape architect, and I'm narrowing down the lawn people.  I feel like She-Ra today.
Image result for she-ra

(Except in flats.)

Family stuff going on.  My grandmother is moving to assisted living, for good.  We knew it was coming, but still.  She's at the point where she requires more care than my aunt and uncle can provide, even with a nurse.  (My grandma is so old that my aunt, her daughter, is 72 herself.  It's getting hard for her to do everything my grandma needs.) 

And FIL is going to be nearby in a couple of weeks, and wants to get together.  DH was like "He's going to be near Raleigh, let's go up for the weekend and meet him."  Um, no.  DS has skills night that Friday, Wooz has riding and swim Saturday, DS has swim and soccer on Sunday.  And we just redid the guest bedroom before my mom came to stay after her mastectomy, and it's awesome.  There is no reason he can't stay with us. 

I wasn't sure whose idea it was, so I asked him why FIL couldn't just come stay with us after whatever in Raleigh, and DH said--I kid you not--"I don't want him to see the backyard unfinished."  Y'all, I love Mr. Heff, but A) he is a perfectionist, and nothing will ever be perfect enough for him, and B) I'm not schlepping both kids and missing a whole weekend because the backyard isn't finished.  It then descended into a full round of daddy issues.  And since we can't fix those with a drive to Raleigh, I say we stay put and deal.        

Re: Tu-tu-Tuesday

• mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited March 2017
    Shee-ra story...I had the castle when I was 5 (it had an elevator and *everything*).  I got bored at my 6th bday party (with all my friends, natch) I ended up sneaking off up to my room to play Shee-ra with the boy I liked.   :D He gave me Pound Puppies and I named one after him.  <3

Yesterday was super Monday-ish, but the day ended OK.  I am basking in the fact that all of my hampers and baskets are empty for 5 minutes.  Last night's weather was keeping me up because it was so windy and stormy.  And we're supposed to get 5-6 inches of snow this coming weekend.  

Work is so friggin' busy right now.  I'm betting I'm not going to get DefConn's actual bday off.  I'll probably take half day anyway, but still... :( 

And I swear navigating teenager drama is so hard.  You have to balance understanding that the shit that is going on is a big deal to them, while trying to get them to understand that IRL, it's not a big deal at all.  And not lose your shit when they act all, "YOU DON'T KNOW MY LIFE!" about even the most benign advice/guidance.  My mom just laughs because I was the shittiest know-it-all, I-don't-need-you teenager. 
  • I don't blame you @Heffalump. It sounds much easier to have FIL come stay with you.
    @mrsconn23 DH and I were both bad teenagers. I don't even want to think about the amount of karma destined for us. 

I woke up in a bad mood, more like my feelings got hurt before I got out of bed, and i had a hard time shaking it off. Unfortunately for DH, since he is working nights this month, he was here to witness it. Just as I was starting to feel better, it was time for him to go. :/

I wanted to have our group over for dinner this weekend because our friend's GF is leaving soon. But she is leaving sooner than I thought and they are going out of town this weekend so idk if it is going to work out.

quiet time tonight, anyone have any Netflix recommendations?
  • Yesterday at work was super busy.  Monthly reports had to be completed.

In contrast, today should be super chill.  With a chance for frantic hurriedness at the end of the day.  We're expecting work to come in from an outside contractor and, knowing my luck, they'll send it over toward the end of the day.  If at all possible, I need to get it done before I leave today because...

tomorrow I'm leaving for Tahoe!  I'll be gone all the rest of the week and Monday of next week.

I haven't seen snow in 10 years and haven't played in it in 20 years.  We're really looking forward to the change of pace and enjoying a beautiful winter wonderland.  I realize a lot of you, understandably, have the position of "snow sucks".  But when you don't live in it and only visit it on vacation, snow is pretty awesome and magical.

We're going snowboarding, doing a little gambling, walks by the lake, lots of eating out.  Should be fun :)!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @MissJeanLouise I started watching The Following on Netflix. If you haven't seen it, it's a really good serial killer/crime series.

Morning all. I started my period this weekend and it had me in bed for 2 days. First of all, it was late. It's never late, so I kinda let myself get a little excited at the thought that *maybe* I was pregnant. Big fat NOPE. When it hit, it hit hard. Sunday I was nauseous. I didn't even eat anything until 7:30 pm. Then I was cramping so bad that I could hardly stand up. I missed work yesterday because of it. I'm starting to remember why I went on the pill in the first place. I had a mini meltdown on DH yesterday because I couldn't find AA batteries for our Xbox controller to watch Netflix. Poor guy.

DH ended up with some kind of horrible stomach bug over the weekend. Things like that occasionally make me glad that he isn't here right now. His work won't stop changing their minds about where they're sending him next, though. Now they say he's going to DC next. I hope that isn't the case. That's a good distance from here. Definitely not a weekend trip destination.  

Other than that, SSDD.

• Day 2 of spring break!! It's warm, but dreary here so I'm catching up on grading (super lame way to spend break but it needs to be done). Catching a volunteer shift this afternoon, and it's my first by myself. All the Trump craziness has gotten me so frustrated lately so I feel like volunteering has given me a practical way to fight back. It's not much, but it feels like something I can do. 
  • B survived day 1 of daycare. It sucked a bit for me that he was fussy pretty much the entire time after I got home with him until he went to bed. I have a feeling it will be that way for a while since the evenings are his witching hour. He's so darn cute though I put up with it :) 

My job deals a lot with the ACA and its impact on employers and I'm dreading whatever this next round is only because I don't currently have the mental energy to read the proposed changes and digest it all
  • kvruns said:
    B survived day 1 of daycare. It sucked a bit for me that he was fussy pretty much the entire time after I got home with him until he went to bed. I have a feeling it will be that way for a while since the evenings are his witching hour. He's so darn cute though I put up with it :) 

I worked in the office for about a month and a half after maternity leave before I started working from home.  Every day after work for a couple months, I'd get home with him and we'd do a bottle and a catnap in the recliner for about 45 min before starting dinner.  

Hang in there.  ;)  And yeah, they make them cute so you do put up with them.  LOL 
  • Good Morning.      I've been pretty MIA lately.   I've been working 6 days a week for the last few weeks.  We only have 5 weeks left and the club doesn't open until mid-May, so might as well get the money while I can.    

Surprisingly, I'm not tired or grumpy working so much.   Since starting this job I'm down 15lbs (down 30 from last March), eating way more veggies and fruit, cut back on alcohol and just generally feel amazing.   

Last Tuesday was Mardi Gras.  I started the day doing an uphill race. I finished in the middle of the pack and won some cool drawing prized.  Then in the afternoon I was in the Mardi Gras "parade".  Parade is a loose term.  There were about 8 groups that walked about 500 feet.  Ha. It was fun though. We won outstanding sprit award.

Today I have to go back to the doctor's about a chronic cough I've had most of the season.  I finally stopped last Tuesday. Of course.   I'm not sure what the deal is with the cough.  I mostly coughed at work.  Which is at 10461 feet.  I also hiked up most days.  In the cold.  So I was thinking it might be cold induced, exercised induced or even elevation related.  

Then I read that some people get a GI related cough, with no signs of heartburn. Remember I had chest pains a few months back. and the doctor said it was GI related.   I wasn't consistent about taking my heartburn meds because my chest pains went away, but the cough was still there.  I also read that it might be allergy related.  So I've been taking Clartin every day.  The last 2 weeks I've been consistent with the meds and cough went away last week.  So who knows what is going on?    Kind of annoyed if it's one of those because I'm not a fan of taking meds long term.  Might just have to adjust my attitude on that subject.

The rest of my only day off this week is getting my hair done, pedi and brows.  Basically making me look as good as I feel.   :tongue:

Hope all is well with everyone.   

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Just had a "whew!" moment.  

One of my bff's moms posted an article that the park in front of her house (which is in my old city) was up for sale and they were going to develop the park with homes and make a small neighborhood (12 houses total).  

The park is a great green space...it has a playground and gazebo.  It sits right in front of an existing neighborhood where some of the houses date back 100+ years and an old church is on one side of the park, so a new housing development would look stupid.  Also, it made me sad to think about it no longer being there since they used to do productions of Shakespeare in the Park there (using the gazebo as the stage) and I assisted in the production one summer when i was in HS. 

She just posted that they decided to drop the proposal, thank God.  I wish my BFF were alive because I can hear her now, "This is bullshit!  They're ruining my childhood."  ;) 
  • @Heffalump  I'm not a perfectionist, but I get where your H is coming from in the "I just want to impress my family member" I'm the same way when people come over lol Does it mean people don't come over? Sometimes Hopefully he'll subside and have his dad come visit you guys!

@mrsconn23  If I pulled the "You don't know my life" with my mum, she'd turn around with the "I CREATED YOUR LIFE!" comment. Tbh it worked every time XD

@missJeanLouise  urg I hate when you wake up in a crap mood :(

@short+sassy  I can't help but laugh at the lack of snow you see :') It sounds so weird to me lol but it should be a fun time for you!

I was in such a terrible mood yesterday and literally EVERYTHING kept going wrong.
    So I made 2 fuck ups at work, so I had to have a convo with my boss and I started crying. I'm an emotional person, and she knows that.
    Plus I've got a sinus thing that got worse during the day and ended up being horrible sinus headache.
    Plus I had a slight argument with a friend - all dealt with now somewhat.
    Then went to the bathroom and - TMI - my divacup apparently wasn't sitting right so fucking mess. I didn't bother dealing with it at work, so I just tossed clothes in the laundry and took a shower when I got home.

Got in and I was starving - I had previously texted M stating I was absolutely starving - so I wolfed down food, threw myself into a shower and sat there wallowing in self-pity "I've had a horrible day. I have a headache." wah wah wah ....

I basically went to bed at like 8pm because everything sucked.

M heard back from the interview last week. He didn't get it because he's more backend developer and they were looking for more back and front {aka full-stack for those who are familiar}
    He's not too heart broken because he expected it.

He's got another interview on Thursday and they seem more excited about him, so he's more hopeful.
  • driddrid member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    I had some weird-ass dreams last night! I don't even remember what they were about, but I woke up with a WTF feeling and knew they were weird. Lol so that's fun.

I also woke up with that pre-cold feeling in the back of my throat, and my coworker just went on holidays for until mid next week. So I'm working long hours for the next week and covering all of her regular admin type duties plus my own shit, so I can NOT afford to get sick or its going to be the week from hell.

FI gets to come home Thursday... so that's something to look forward to :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • mrsconn23 said:
    kvruns said:
    B survived day 1 of daycare. It sucked a bit for me that he was fussy pretty much the entire time after I got home with him until he went to bed. I have a feeling it will be that way for a while since the evenings are his witching hour. He's so darn cute though I put up with it :) 

I worked in the office for about a month and a half after maternity leave before I started working from home.  Every day after work for a couple months, I'd get home with him and we'd do a bottle and a catnap in the recliner for about 45 min before starting dinner.  

Hang in there.  ;)  And yeah, they make them cute so you do put up with them.  LOL 
    Yea I pretty much held him and rocked him into a nap to combat the fussiness. I love holding him for naps, I just wish I didn't have to deal with the screaming for 10 min beforehand. 
  • mrsconn23 said:
    Just had a "whew!" moment.  

One of my bff's moms posted an article that the park in front of her house (which is in my old city) was up for sale and they were going to develop the park with homes and make a small neighborhood (12 houses total).  

The park is a great green space...it has a playground and gazebo.  It sits right in front of an existing neighborhood where some of the houses date back 100+ years and an old church is on one side of the park, so a new housing development would look stupid.  Also, it made me sad to think about it no longer being there since they used to do productions of Shakespeare in the Park there (using the gazebo as the stage) and I assisted in the production one summer when i was in HS. 

She just posted that they decided to drop the proposal, thank God.  I wish my BFF were alive because I can hear her now, "This is bullshit!  They're ruining my childhood."  ;) 
    How random I was just reading about this on Next Door (after reading the ND thread and deciding to check mine out). I couldn't place where the park was but seeing this about Shakespeare in the Park now I know exactly where it is. That would be really weird to have had new houses there (even if they tried to make them look old)

• @mrsconn23  If I pulled the "You don't know my life" with my mum, she'd turn around with the "I CREATED YOUR LIFE!" comment. Tbh it worked every time XD

LOL, well I didn't create his since he and DH were a package deal.  ;)  He doesn't really say it, it's just more the whole defensiveness about it all and acting like we have no idea what we're talking about because you know, we were born yesterday.  :D  I swear more often than not these days, I open my mouth and my mother comes out.  Hee. 
  • @thefanciestbeckler  I swear, there were times when on the pill and I wasn't even with anyone or having sex, then it was late - there will ALWAYS be that "omg am I pregnant?" Slightly different feeling when you're trying though lol
    {when not having sex you wonder when the last time you did and could this be from that!? lmfao}
  • Bossman is frustrating me to no end.  He's letting me "take the lead" on a project we have, and I know it's hard for him to do this a) because of his personality, and b ) it's probably the most exciting thing that's come our way in a while.  But he's hijacking me every.step.of.the.way.  Yesterday, I came back from a meeting with a stack of documents to review, and tried to give him a summary of my meeting.  I swear, I had to explain the same damn thing five times, not only because he was interrupting me ("Well did you ask this?"  "What about that?"  For the love of all things holy, I will answer all your questions!!!), but because he wasn't listening because he was berating me because I didn't do things the way he would have.  Then he grabbed the documents and asked me questions about them that I couldn't answer because I'd had them for all of 30 seconds.  And don't get me started on his communications with our management.  

Urgh, I wanted to throw things.

He really is a nice person, and he's great at what he does.... and I'll continue to believe he's not doing this maliciously.  But he's got 25 years of experience to my 6 months, and I need the room and the leeway to grow, and right now I kinda feel like a kid at Hershey Park.  I'm this.close to being a Twizzler.  But I'm not, so I can't go on Fahrenheit... Even with adult supervision.

On the homefront, Twiggy has "stretched" the soft tissue in his knee.  While I'm glad it's not a neurological issue, I don't see this being a fixable issue because of how active a dog he is.  We're starting with non-invasive laser therapy and hoping it's enough to stimulate healing of the damaged tissue.  I have no idea if this is legit, it seems very space-age to me, but if it really will avoid surgery, I'll take it.

But now the challenge of keeping him quiet for 3 weeks remains....

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• edited March 2017
    Heffalump said:
    It's the fourth best day of the work week! ;)

What's up, Wedding Woes?

My boss is finally back on the road, which means I got caught up on a ton of stuff yesterday.  Hoping to dig through some more today.  I'm even getting personal stuff done: we have a meeting set with a landscape architect, and I'm narrowing down the lawn people.  I feel like She-Ra today.
    Image result for she-ra

(Except in flats.)

Family stuff going on.  My grandmother is moving to assisted living, for good.  We knew it was coming, but still.  She's at the point where she requires more care than my aunt and uncle can provide, even with a nurse.  (My grandma is so old that my aunt, her daughter, is 72 herself.  It's getting hard for her to do everything my grandma needs.) 

And FIL is going to be nearby in a couple of weeks, and wants to get together.  DH was like "He's going to be near Raleigh, let's go up for the weekend and meet him."  Um, no.  DS has skills night that Friday, Wooz has riding and swim Saturday, DS has swim and soccer on Sunday.  And we just redid the guest bedroom before my mom came to stay after her mastectomy, and it's awesome.  There is no reason he can't stay with us. 

I wasn't sure whose idea it was, so I asked him why FIL couldn't just come stay with us after whatever in Raleigh, and DH said--I kid you not--"I don't want him to see the backyard unfinished."  Y'all, I love Mr. Heff, but A) he is a perfectionist, and nothing will ever be perfect enough for him, and B) I'm not schlepping both kids and missing a whole weekend because the backyard isn't finished.  It then descended into a full round of daddy issues.  And since we can't fix those with a drive to Raleigh, I say we stay put and deal.        
    This is H. He never wants to have his parents over for dinner because the house "isn't done". (The house is 100 years old and was not super well maintained it might never "be done".). But it's his family so I just pick out restaurants for us to try out when his parents come into town and keep my mouth shut. If it involved me having to disrupt the schedule or be a huge inconvenience, I would absolutely have something to say about it. 
  • I just got really excited by an update from daycare that B pooped. My how my life has changed.
  • mrsconn23 said:

@mrsconn23  If I pulled the "You don't know my life" with my mum, she'd turn around with the "I CREATED YOUR LIFE!" comment. Tbh it worked every time XD

LOL, well I didn't create his since he and DH were a package deal.  ;)  He doesn't really say it, it's just more the whole defensiveness about it all and acting like we have no idea what we're talking about because you know, we were born yesterday.  :D  I swear more often than not these days, I open my mouth and my mother comes out.  Hee. 
    Hmm ... you need a loop hole since you didn't create him .... have you tried sarcasm? ;) "You don't know my life" Okay child, enlighten me since I have obviously never been there before lmao
  • I had to run a 100+ people global meeting alone this morning because my partner for this project is having a health crisis. (Not a knock on him, I just hope he's feeling better. ) I've also been in meetings ever since that one ended, so i didn't get to eat any breakfast. I'm going out for lunch just to get a break from the nonsense. 

had to talk to my boss yesterday re: workload nonsense and bitching from the admin team about not dropping everything for their tasks. i'm disgusted because i'm already overloaded and this is not a high priority. he agrees but it's like, yeah, we're working to fix it. i think it's coming down to if they fix it before i lose my damn mind. 
  • @thefanciestbeckler  I swear, there were times when on the pill and I wasn't even with anyone or having sex, then it was late - there will ALWAYS be that "omg am I pregnant?" Slightly different feeling when you're trying though lol
    {when not having sex you wonder when the last time you did and could this be from that!? lmfao}

Lol I always thought stuff like that when I was on the pill too.

Side note, I got to work and someone has started a rumor that I am pregnant. I'm walking around here like:

• I have gone off the deep end and there's no coming back.  I'm basically so stressed out that the "eh fuck it, it doesn't matter" has happened.  This pageant is about to kill me.  If K and I make it through it unscathed, we'll have the strongest barely over a year old relationship in history.

5 costumes -- One full costume is finished.  2 other costumes are >this close< to being finished.  One costume is HOLY HELL GET IT FINISHED mode.  Last costume doesn't go on stage until Sunday night, so it's basic finished, needs some accessories then finished.  I have no clean underwear.  I need to pack clothes and toiletries.  Then I need to pack all of our crafting stuffs.  We leave tomorrow at like...6 am to get there at 4 pm.  It'll be the first time the entire group for talent is together.  We have a party that night and Thursday is all starts.

I have permission to leave work early, but I don't think I'm going to have time here.

This is me right now:

• Ro041Ro041 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I need to go back and catch up on everything.  This weekend was rough.  Old Dog (18 years old) had a really rough weekend and we had to say goodbye to her yesterday morning.  The vet thinks she had a brain tumor that was causing her pain.  I didn't go to work yesterday and I am bummed I am back today.  I have tickets to see Cabaret with a friend of mine tonight and I am hoping that will cheer me up.  

• I'm so sorry @Ro041!  :( 
  • I'm so sorry @Ro041:(.  Take breaks from your desk when you can.

Today is SSDD.  Hubs has a union meeting and then a baseball meeting after work so he probably won't be home until 8, so I need to decide if I'm going to go for another 3 day training walk or clean the house in his absence.  Tomorrow nominations for union president start and he is running so I'm super excited and proud of him.  As of today, it looks like he'll be unopposed but the current union president hates him so there's a chance he recruited competition H doesn't know about yet.

I'm still ridiculously tired - @atomicblonde what did you start taking that helped with that?

I had to skip my BC last month because I forgot to pick it up and left town before it was corrected, and now I'm debating if I should just skip it and watch the calendar.  We planned on not-preventing starting in August anyways, and we can always just plan to use a condom for my ovulation week.  I'm just not sure.  Part of me says why bother with BC, and the other part of me says holy fuck I'm not ready to be pregnant, I need 37 more years!
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    @Ro041 I'm so sorry.

@lyndausvi My son had a persistent cough.  We eventually got a diagnosis of reflux from it.

So much shit going on right now.  I've got too many projects going and I need to get some done before I lose it. 

I'm very impatiently waiting for sports schedules so I can see just how awful spring is going to SUUUUUCK.
  • Ro041 said:
    I need to go back and catch up on everything.  This weekend was rough.  Old Dog (18 years old) had a really rough weekend and we had to say goodbye to her yesterday morning.  The vet thinks she had a brain tumor that was causing her pain.  I didn't go to work yesterday and I am bummed I am back today.  I have tickets to see Cabaret with a friend of mine tonight and I am hoping that will cheer me up.  

I'm so sorry about Old Dog.  Hugs.
  • @kimmiinthemitten I totally read that to say that your H had a unicorn meeting. I was thinking "damn, how do I get in on that?" Lol.

@*Barbie* I totally should. They deserve it!!!

@Ro041 I'm so sorry :( that is a really tough thing to go through. 

• *Barbie* said:

Lol I always thought stuff like that when I was on the pill too.

Side note, I got to work and someone has started a rumor that I am pregnant. I'm walking around here like:

@thefanciestbeckler please take this as an opportunity to fuck with people. 
    excuse to eat extra without judgment! ;)