Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions

Jazzy Father Daughter Dance

I am trying to find a perfect song for our father and daughter dance. We want something short and a little jazzy. Not very slow, is the big thing. 

I really dislike country music so please don't suggest anything like that (that's just a personal preference, please don't be bothered that I don't like it). My top pick so far is Beyond the Sea but we are still looking around.

I would love to hear any suggestions you have! An internet search seems to only yield country songs or really slow songs. 

Re: Jazzy Father Daughter Dance

• My dad and I danced to John Lennon's version of Stand By Me. 
  • @climbingwife that sounds like that would be beautiful! I'm sure it was lovely. I'll definitely give it a listen!
  • edited March 2017
    "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" by Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell.

ETA: In a similar spirit but a little slower, "My Girl" by the Temptations.
  • I don't really have any songs to recommend...I just wanted to say, my father picked out our song (as did my MIL for her dance with DH).  I would ask your dad if he had anything in mind as well. 

• I don't really have any songs to recommend...I just wanted to say, my father picked out our song (as did my MIL for her dance with DH).  I would ask your dad if he had anything in mind as well. 

This. Lots of parents look forward to this moment from the time their child is born. Your dad may have something in mind and be holding back to "make the bride happy", you know?  I like the Beyond the Sea song you have picked out, though. Good choice!
    *********************************************************************************

• Short and jazzy are two of my favorite things :wink:   If you have a DJ, (as opposed to just a playlist for example) remember ANY Song can be made shorter.  Just find a good place to fade it out.  

Beyond the Sea is one of my favs, and would be a good one if you and your dad both like it.  

A couple more to throw in the mix:
    When I Grow Too Old To Dream by Nat King Cole Trio
    Dream a Little Dream by Robbie Williams/Lilly Allen or Michael Buble
    You Make Me Feel So Young by Frank Sinatra
    The Way You Look Tonight by Frank Sinatra or try Madeleine Peyroux version
    You're Nobody 'till Somebody Loves You by Dean Martin
  • @cowgirl8238 Yes! I totally agree. My dad and I have definitely talked about this together. The first thing I did was ask him what songs he had in mind. He didn't really have an attachment to anything in particular. Just wanted to reach out to see if there was anything I hadn't thought of.  
  • @donethat Thanks! I'm looking forward to listening to those songs. 
  • So, while suggesting these songs to my dad just now, we just came up with another idea and I can't believe I didn't think of it before. 

We are both singers and my dad is a professional musician. We are thinking of singing a song together instead of dancing since we've not ever danced together but we've sung together a million times. Seems more our style. Honest opinions welcome on that idea, please! 

Now my concern is making sure we pick a song without much of the romantic undertones many first dance songs have. I want to sing You've Got a Friend (James Taylor/Carol King) and he is thinking When You Say Nothing At All (Alison Krauss). Is that one a little too romantic sounding? 
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    My dad and I danced to "what a wonderful world". Short and to the point  ;)
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I think if you and your dad can actually sing, performing one song together instead of your dance would be fine.

When You Say Nothing At All seems a bit too romantic, IMO.

Check out this link:
    http://bridalmusings.com/2012/06/top-20-best-father-daughter-dance-songs-aria-melody-dj/

• I love the idea of singing a father/daughter duet.  Is there a song from your childhood you used to sing together?  I like You've Got a Friend.  I think the When You Say Nothing at All is a little too romantic, unless it was always a favorite of both of yours, and you introduce it as such.  If Dad likes Alison Krauss, check out her version of I Will, and see if that might work.  

• greeninspringgreeninspring member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Answer Name Dropper
    edited March 2017
    My dad and I will be dancing to Here Comes The Sun by The Beatles. He has always loved The Beatles and as I got older they really grew on me and I love them now too. Here Comes The Sun is my favorite Beatles song. Like you, I didn't wanna choose anything romantic or too slow and emotional. 

I think it'd be fine to sing together, but make sure you still pick out a song that isn't too long in length. 
  • @donethat Yeah, I learned about James Taylor from him growing up and always considered that one of the bonds that we had even as I was a teenager because we could listen to at least one common favorite artist. 

He LOVES Alison, although I don't much care for it. She sings beautifully but it's a little bluegrassy. Thank you for the suggestion, maybe that will satisfy us both. 
  • k&n62517 said:
    @donethat Yeah, I learned about James Taylor from him growing up and always considered that one of the bonds that we had even as I was a teenager because we could listen to at least one common favorite artist. 

He LOVES Alison, although I don't much care for it. She sings beautifully but it's a little bluegrassy. Thank you for the suggestion, maybe that will satisfy us both. 
    :smile:  Now, I'm voting for James ... because it's something you two share from childhood!  

You've Got a Friend is such a sweet one, and Shower The People is a good not-too-romantic one also.  

Hopefully this planning and thinking of options is creating some fun with you and your dad.  Sometimes the fun and memories are in the planning and remembering.  

#youcan'tgowrong  <3
  • @donethat thank you! Yes, we've had a lot of fun so far :smile: